So I'm looking to sell/trade my line 6 spider 2. I do like it(mainly for selectable channels, noise gate, and obviously not fuzzy distortion compared to 15 watt amps) but I'm looking for a different tone and just to change it up a bit. Possibly get a half stack..

So would be helpful if someone made a list of solid state amps from worst to best

Looking at a crate 1200(I think) halfstack for 275 OBO, I've seen some good reviews and then some really negative ones. I'd say its step up from Line 6 even if its no 700 dollar tube amp or anything.

Also a list of lower end guitars would be nice, looking to pick up a second one.
There is no best or worst amps, just ones that you like and you don't like. What kind of music are you going to play? What's your budget? Are you going to be gigging?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
i wouldnt by low end. mid range = goodness
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Forget the half stack my friend.

A combo will suffice.

I actually tried out a Peavey Vyper at my store the other day... it sounded pretty decent. Give that a look?
Quote by thsrayas
There is no best or worst amps, just ones that you like and you don't like. What kind of music are you going to play? What's your budget? Are you going to be gigging?

Well in terms of tone I guess? Some reviews say the tone is crap so Idk. It could go by overall performance, tone, volume... I play a bit of everything but mainly AFI, Trivium, Rise Against. Mainly punk/metal but I always like a good clean tone for chords. Something with bright distortion. I was looking to sell/trade my line 6 and not really spend too much out of pocket. I had a crate once and liked it if I can remember, but I don't want to go to play with a band loud and have the tone just go flat. I like the half stack also becuase I can bring the head to my PC to record.

^I've tried peavey amps, not for me. I'm going to go to guitar factory tomorrow and see what Crate amps they have, but I'm not sure if they have the 1200 there and whats available. I'm looking to buy used so I can see what I like there and find some used ones locally maybe.
Last edited by ldiablo233 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by thsrayas

+1 It's all personal preference.

I have a Crate FW120h (the one soooooooo many people around here seem to hate,) I like it, it sounds fine for gigging small clubs and for practice. It's no 100w Tube Screamer, but it does work.

My personal opinion in regards to SS amps is that once you realize they produce a lot of high range noise, you can coax a decent high volume sound from them by dialing back on the highs a bit, resisting the urge to crank up the lows (which just makes your sound fuzzy,) and boosting your mids.

If you end up getting one, I'd be more than happy to give you my settings for it.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Last edited by Petey D at Feb 10, 2009,
Ya, I'm mostly into mid cause it mixes the low bass with the high treble and produces a nice sound that you can feel(the bass) so boosting the low isn't a problem. I'll check out there crates tomorrow and see how it goes.

Heres the amp, seems to be the same as my old GT65 so I'll probably like it.

Alot of people like marshalls and I HATE the tone from them, plus I never see alot of distortion from it. I geuss its better for older style rock..

If anyone has a demo or recording from a Crate like the 1200 please post it up
Marshall's have plenty of gain...don't be fooled into thinking you need a lot of gain...unless of course thats what you personnely like. Playing with a little less gain will sound better and really help you clean up as a player in the long run

You won't get a lot out of the Spider, and going from a Spider to a Crate will not be much of a noticeable difference to be honest, just a lack of features. Maybe look into the B-52 AT series tube amps? They make a fairly cheap 112 combo that's got plenty of distortion and a nicer clean channel. Also, you may want to take second look at Peavey amps, the Vypyr is great at what it does, and the XXL is a pretty spiffy solid state amp.
Last edited by SayAnything at Feb 10, 2009,
Checked out the B-52 AT. Doesn't seem right for me, tones sounds kind of flat. Even if is not an upgrade IYO, I still would like to get one cause I'm getting sick of playing the line 6, plus I've had the distortion cut to clean( the sound not the channel) twice on me, so I'd like to get rid of it before it breaks(Anyone know why this is?)

Plus this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irumlvKBFn0
Sounds better then my line 6 so upgrade to me.
check out peavey xxx. i have one. it is great
as for lower end guitars, ibanez makes the best for the money
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by ldiablo233
Checked out the B-52 AT. Doesn't seem right for me, tones sounds kind of flat. Even if is not an upgrade IYO, I still would like to get one cause I'm getting sick of playing the line 6, plus I've had the distortion cut to clean( the sound not the channel) twice on me, so I'd like to get rid of it before it breaks(Anyone know why this is?)

Plus this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irumlvKBFn0
Sounds better then my line 6 so upgrade to me.

Meh, get whatever you want but if you're not going to take peoples advice then why ask for it in the 1s place?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
Meh, get whatever you want but if you're not going to take peoples advice then why ask for it in the 1s place?

I'm asking for advice not for a yes/no answer. He showed me one and I didn't like it, the other guy said +1 for crates so I checked them out further and decided that.

For the guitar, I've heard a lot of positives about Ibanez, I'll check those out tomorrow.

http://openclipart.org/people/Chrisdesign/Chrisdesign_LP_Guitar_black.jpg
I was thinking of this type of guitar, but Les Pauls aren't cheap. Any good "rip-offs" in this style? Also willing to upgrade the pickup if need be.

What do you guys think of the BC Rich Bich SE. I got it as a present and am currently using it now. Sentimental, so not selling it but I've heard BC Rich's aren't too good so this would help determine my purchasing a second guitar.
cheap bc riches arent good.
high end are good
another good value would be schecter. and you most likely dont want a les paul ripoff. low quality
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
im talkin bad wood, wiring, pups, tuners, the whole shot for a ripoff lespaul.
and i dont mean it totally sucks or anything, but you have to pay high dollar for high grade bc rich
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver
im talkin bad wood, wiring, pups, tuners, the whole shot for a ripoff lespaul.
and i dont mean it totally sucks or anything, but you have to pay high dollar for high grade bc rich

Lol. I didn't know the wood affects the guitar on a solid electric(unless you mean the neck). And wiring is no fun to have to mess with lol. At this stage of my playing I've got more studd to worry about(finishing car, moving out, going to college) to spend money on, but I'd like to get the best possible for my budget(like everyone lol).

Quote by Holy-Diver
cheap bc riches arent good.
high end are good
another good value would be schecter. and you most likely don't want a les paul ripoff. low quality

I believe it was 300-400 new, is that cheap to you lol? Would a "rip off" les paul with upgraded pick up be any good or the overall design is not good? Does need to be a rip off version, just of that shape(I like the smaller body ones like that one).

Also, I'm trying to remember something I was thinking of getting. I believe it was a Red Behringer PC recording device(75-100 on ebay). Not the white one, nor the 30 one. Pretty sure it was behringer but not 100%. Definitely better then the guitarport, I've heard the distortion modeling and I like it. I would buy the 30 one and plug in my amp, but I'm guessing I'd get the fuzzy [way to deep/clipping] when playing low strings and no tone, same as going from my amp to Line in, on the audio card.

Anyone know what I'm thinking of? Any suggestions on recording devices.
I'm not good enough to spend a lot on expensive recording hardware, but I don't like to hear my songs, add drums/bass from time to time so this would be nice.
Quote by SayAnything
Marshall's have plenty of gain...don't be fooled into thinking you need a lot of gain...unless of course thats what you personnely like. Playing with a little less gain will sound better and really help you clean up as a player in the long run

He's right, less gain, and more volume will give you a better sound. My gain's barely at 5 on both gain channels, and the high gain side's plenty heavy at high volume. But I diagree about the Line 6 and the Crate sounding the same; I have experience with both, and They don't. The line 6 is POS imo.

I had a Crate GT65 too, good amp, I miss it for portability.

As far as the "Rip off" LesPauls go, upgrading the pickups in a cheaper one might help, I did it and it worked out fine for me, but you might be better off just spending a bit more on a better all around guitar.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage