Hey everyone.

Well, as some of you may have seen, I finally have my Strat

It needs a good cleaning though (it's 10 years old!)

Fretboard looks a little dirty, so I'm thinking of removing the strings and cleaning it (not sure what to use though)

Front of the guitar could use a general cleaning and some polish (lacks a smooth feel)

The metal on the guitar could also use a little cleaning (needs a little polish to have a nice shine)

The strings have already been cut to size, but can I remove and restring them? Should I?

Also, what's a good (and not too expensive) product to clean my guitar?

I'm also thinking about buying some strap locks. Not sure what to get though. Some just look like rubber washers that go on the strap.

Oh, and finally, how can I check that the tone knobs on my Strat are working? I don't really hear anything adjusting when I turn them... I just sweep all 6 strings and mess with the knobs, but I'm not really hearing anything different.

Thanks!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free

Fretboard looks a little dirty, so I'm thinking of removing the strings and cleaning it (not sure what to use though)

Rosewood fretboard would use a small amount of lemon oil. Don't use anything else, and don't use that if its a maple fretboard especially.
Quote by yellowsnow4free

The strings have already been cut to size, but can I remove and restring them? Should I?

Also, what's a good (and not too expensive) product to clean my guitar?

Its best to just put on new strings with it. Saves the problem of them accidentally snapping on you too, since the constant bending (Especially around the machine head) will cause a great loss of integrity and will snap WAY easier.

Cleaning should be a clean cloth (preferably microfiber, or a minimum of soft cotton) with maybe a SMALL amount of water as necessary. your breath tends to be a good amount too.
Quote by yellowsnow4free

I'm also thinking about buying some strap locks. Not sure what to get though. Some just look like rubber washers that go on the strap.

Putting on strap locks requires you to take out the old ones and putting the new ones in. If you don't know what you are doing, you may strip out the hole, the new strap locks wont go in right, or could even crack your guitar in a very bad way.
Quote by yellowsnow4free

Oh, and finally, how can I check that the tone knobs on my Strat are working? I don't really hear anything adjusting when I turn them... I just sweep all 6 strings and mess with the knobs, but I'm not really hearing anything different.

Sounds like it isn't working to me. Maybe use a multimeter. There may be a broken wire, or bad connection.
The strats have different pots for different pickups...Have you tried messing with the selector switch and trying the knobs on all the combonations?
Gear

30 Watt Peavey Vypyr

Peavey Reactor

Agile AL-3100 White w/ chrome hw

Seagull S6 Original
Quote by Payton Ratliff
The strats have different pots for different pickups...Have you tried messing with the selector switch and trying the knobs on all the combonations?

Yeah, I'll have to check that out.
I just downloaded the owner's manual so I'll check it out later this week.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix