I was playing on my dual rectifier head and all was fine, shut it off, came back a 1/2 hour later and now it doesn't have hardly any gain on channel 2 or 3. It has about half the gain it should have all of a sudden.

WIth the volume off on the guitar the amp is making a hiss louder than normal. I noticed one power tube not glowing quite as bright so I swapped it out, no difference.

What the heck just blew? Preamp tube, rectifier tube?
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Last edited by RJF at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by RJF
I was playing on my dual rectifier head and all was fine, shut it off, came back a 1/2 hour later and now it doesn't have hardly any gain on channel 2 or 3. It has about half the gain it should have all of a sudden.

WIth the volume off on the guitar the amp is making a hiss louder than normal. I noticed one power tube not glowing quite as bright so I swapped it out, no difference.

What the heck just blew? Preamp tube, rectifier tube?

so theres no problem then?:P
god damn double negatives
Last edited by samlocke14 at Feb 10, 2009,
Helpfull answers please.

1 vote preamp tube.

Makes sence to me....
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
if you've lost gain, I can think of almost nothing else...
but I'm no amp tech.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I visibly checked my preamp tubes and they were pretty dim. I put 5 brand new Mesa 12ax7-a tubes in and nothing changed. For some reason, one tube is nice and bright, and the rest are fairly dim like the old tubes.

Fortunately... the Mesa factory is only about 100 miles away from the town I live in. Looks like I'm going to run it over to Mesa on Friday and put it in their repair shop. Tried everything I can think of.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
have you been cleaning your sockets with electrical contact cleaner?

this seems like a connection problem with your tubes methinks... whenever you swap tubes out you are supposed to clean the sockets.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ