Poll: Which one? Self teaching or lessons?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one? Self teaching or lessons?
Self-teaching
38 54%
Taking lessons
33 46%
Voters: 71.
So which do you guys prefer? Teaching yourself to play (anything) or taking lessons from someone on it?

i always found that lessons could mess with your limits. when i started playing drums, i took lessons. when i stopped the lessons, it was hard for me to keep playing because i didnt rly know where to go anymore, and i thought there was this very specific set of rules about drumming

then i started guitar, and i was (and still am) completely self taught. i play guitar ALOT more than drums (2-ish hours a week on drums, 15+ hours a week on guitar). I never have to think about what to do next because im the only one that knows what i can do
you honestly don't know what you're talking about.
lessons teach you theory and much better technique. it doesn't limit you.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Last edited by exiledsoul at Feb 10, 2009,
i kinda agree, i took a year of guitar lessons and after that i started to explore some but now have come to the point where i'm not very disciplined. i have the self motivation to practice but not the motivation to learn much new stuff, i'd rather try to learn new songs and thus miss learning techniques via exercises.

so really, i wanna get back into taking lessons, but i don't have the time i used to have. i took lessons in sixth grade. graudated 08. that's six more years worth of lessons that i could have had, but didn't. thanks mom and dad
Last edited by dudius at Feb 10, 2009,
Lessons are clearly better, they teach you better technique. However, I couldnt stand taking lessons, been mostly self-taught
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
The people I know who don't take lessons always act badass and cocky around me when they talk about it, so I'll go with the lessons ;D But I take lessons, and I've learned so much from them, especially in music theory.
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
if i could find a good enough teacher, i would kill for lessons
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
I taught myself for the first year, got a teacher after that, and it's helped me get a lot further than i would have otherwise. I'm still mostly self taught, we mostly go over songs together. I don't know anyone else who plays around here so it's cool to get together with someone. I've learned a lot just from watching him.

So to answer the poll: both, and neither one is a better method.
I'm gonna be honest. If you just want to play rock or metal, you don't really need lessons. If you want to learn the more formal styles of jazz or classical, they are very crucial. Also, if you want to know the proper science behind music, which does not limit you, jazz lessons are preferred. But much of the effectiveness of lessons depend on the quality of the teacher, and unfortunately, there are many shitty guitar teachers.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by exiledsoul
you honestly don't know what you're talking about.
lessons teach you theory and much better technique. it doesn't limit you.

no i know it teaches u theory, but i mean to a certain extent, ug lessons can help with that.
and by "limit", i just meant u can get dependant on a teacher
I've been teaching myself pretty much since my dad taught me the basics almost 2 years ago – and I'm doing pretty well for that amount of time.

I'd be doing awesome if I'd been taking lessons this whole time.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I learned that there are easy ways to waste your life away when all you have is a computer and a world full of people putting new and interesting things on their boners.

Wow, I've been here for a while.
You can learn stuff on your own, whilst also taking lessons.
Lessons don't limit you to a specific genre, style, exercise, etc, it merely provides you with information on how to better your technique, and various other recommendations by your teacher.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
when you have lessons, someone who can actually play worth a damn is teaching you. its like the whole "a man who represents himself in court has a fool for a client" thing.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by sporkman7

i always found that lessons could mess with your limits.

Oh please.

As someone who is exclusively self-taught, I voted for taking lessons.
Lessons all the way. Although I loved teaching myself, there were flaws in my playing and I was limited because of that. But having a teacher has taught me a lot of stuff like correct fingering and new ways of playing things that I learned before.
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
im self taught and i prefer it that way. to me and this is my opinion and alot of you will think im stupid, but getting lessons is like "cheating" theres someone there telling you what to do, wat your doing wrong, and all that.
I took lessons for about a year until I had the basics pretty much covered. Then my guitar teacher told me that I was learning more by myself than with her so I left the lessons and have taught myself ever since. It probably has been harder to learn by myself but I've enjoyed playing a lot more since I left.
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
FINALLY!

THANK YOU!

Was waiting for ages for the penis.

Quote by guitar-guy01
i'm in ireland, we're neutral, we won't fight unless its for a day off or alcohol

Nihilism doesn't exist...
Quote by crypticslaughtr
im self taught and i prefer it that way. to me and this is my opinion and alot of you will think im stupid, but getting lessons is like "cheating" theres someone there telling you what to do, wat your doing wrong, and all that.

well, youre on UG, so i assume you use tabs. thats "cheating" too. if youre playing something that someone else wrote, that means that you arent learning it independently. while we're at it, if you listen to any guitarists, parts of their style go into yours. thats cheating too. unless you have never heard guitar (or music in general), you are copying someone.

or the whole "cheating" thing, is bs, yes?
Quote by crypticslaughtr

Are you even serious?
Quote by Zugunruhe
well, youre on UG, so i assume you use tabs. thats "cheating" too. if youre playing something that someone else wrote, that means that you arent learning it independently. while we're at it, if you listen to any guitarists, parts of their style go into yours. thats cheating too. unless you have never heard guitar (or music in general), you are copying someone.

or the whole "cheating" thing, is bs, yes?

You forgot tuning to drop tunings. Power chords with one finger? Damn cheaters.
I took classical guitar lessons for 3 years, got a grade 5 distinction and then called it quits with the classical. I had the technique and the posture and all that, so I started to explore other types of music and boy, am I glad I did.

Lessons are essential (and usually fun) for a few years to learn technique, after that I'd encourage good musicians to explore other styles of music and go their own way...

Also, from what I've seen of electric guitar lessons, they're usually absolute crap. I'd advise any beginner guitarist, even if they wanna be a rockstar, to take classical lessons over electric any day. You just learn so much more.
Last edited by Jake™ at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by crypticslaughtr

And if you're using a guitar to learn how to play, that's also cheating.

Seriously, where do you people come up with this stuff?
im 100% self taught. i never intended on teaching myself. but i started playing 24/7 just learning bits of songs and licks from solo's. then i eventually started figuring everything out from chords, scales & modes, soloing in keys, improvisation, etc. the more i understood, the faster i progressed.

BUT.

im gonna be enlisting in the army soon as a Guitar Player for the Army Band. it sounds gay, i know. and it's not my cup of tea either. but, they're gonna pay 100% tuition to whatever music school i decide to go to/get accepted in. plus, i get to travel all over the place playing for troops and other people, so that's exposure that will get my name out there. the only

problem is i have to be fluent in jazz, latin, r&b, swing, and rock.
im really fluent in r&b and rock. and a tiny bit in jazz. but i have no f*cking clue about swing and latin. who does?

so im gonna have to start taking online lessons to learn jazz, latin and swing so i can get in.

i didnt vote in the poll, because i cover both.
I started with lessons on guitar and improved quickly, when I stopped I slowed down a lot and have gotten to the point where I am not improving much and I would like to start them again, I just dont have any time.

I am self taught on drums and I know only what I've read in a book my friend gave me, I can play alright though.

Lessons are better, I would like lessons with both instruments, they have a structure which I am forced to follow, teaching myself I only get sidetracked from what I was learning with something new.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by InvaderTSN
You forgot tuning to drop tunings. Power chords with one finger? Damn cheaters.

besides, you dont get to flip people off. wheres the fun in that?
Quote by irishstang_87
I taught myself for the first year, got a teacher after that, and it's helped me get a lot further than i would have otherwise.

Same =]
Yea i think lessons really do help. Im currently taking lessons on jazz guitar at the moment and ive really been enjoying it, you learn so much every lesson. Helpfull for both theory and technique.