Hey guys,

A couple of days ago I Was on my computer and it suddenly crashed, so I held the button in to turn it off then turned it back on. I get to a screen sayin windows did not shut down properly etc etc and gave me the option to choose starting in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking or just run windows normally.

I chose to run windows normally but after I choose this and the windows screen goes through a blue screen comes up. IT says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with some info down the bottom along the lines of

STOP: 0x0000000ED

then a string of numbers and letters and whatnot. I've googled these errors and they all tell me to insert my windows xp cd, which, i have, but it never lets me get into the recovery part so I can do CHKSDK /r or whatever and just goes back to the blue screen.

Has anyone else got any suggestions please?
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
My old lappy did this. I got a Windows disk & it just made it worse. Took to a pc guy who said it wasn't worth fixing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
you got a mac? well sir i do not believe it is the harddrive that failed. YOU failed
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
sounds like your hard drive might just be corrupt, you can try wiping it out and re-installing windows if you don't mind losing files...
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
hmm, i fixed this a couple of times, but it always takes me like an hour of messing around to remember how..

the last paragraph in your post (the chkdsk thing) is what you need to do though, it's just that i can't remember how to get it to boot from the disk..

good luck
Quote by Xplozive
When did I say I had a mac?

lol
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by Xplozive
When did I say I had a mac?

i think he though cause i said damn macs

im so infulential
I have some experience in umm binary language

Means

STOP: YxUAREFUCKED

Seriously though,
Google the string of numbers
Quote by Cianyx
I have some experience in umm binary language

Means

STOP: YxUAREFUCKED

lol....
Unmountable boot volume? Yeah, sounds like your hard drive has bitten the big one, though that wouldn't explain why did didn't seem to want to recognize your Windows XP CD.

Hopefully, you can recover all the stuff that was on it. I had a hard drive fail on me once. It sucked.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Try this Windows XP Recovery Console. It describes the process step by step.

You need to make sure you're booting from the CD/DVD drive - is it a SATA hard drive, you might need the drivers for it if they're not on your XP CD.

HTH
Apparently this is a problem with the hard drive caching routine. No idea of how to fix it, other than the chkdisk /r.
However your XP install must be horribly outdated, since this was apparently fixed in the first service pack.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
it's not because the cd is service pack 2 haha
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Quote by Daviec
Try this Windows XP Recovery Console. It describes the process step by step.

You need to make sure you're booting from the CD/DVD drive - is it a SATA hard drive, you might need the drivers for it if they're not on your XP CD.

HTH

tried to boot the cd or whatever, but I can't. THe recovery console just doesn't come up.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Download "Spinrite" and burn it to a blank CD using an Image writer such as ImgBurn.

It is bootable in DOS, so insert it before your PC tries to boot Windows.

Follow the on-screen instructions to perform a full deep scan on your HDD.

I've fixed many drives doing this.

if you can't get a hold of it, add my MSN - Ibanez@canada.com and I'll send you it and help you out with trying to fix it.
Last edited by IbanezLol at Feb 10, 2009,
Umm that's just a corrupted drive....

Format your hard disk and all should be fine...

If you want to save your data, you can always connect your hard disk to another computer and try opening it up from there. As a secondary hard disk i mean.

Yeah anyways, a format should cure that. Good luck
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Quote by Xplozive
it's not because the cd is service pack 2 haha

Peculiar though, since the fix I found was apparently in the first Service Pack, and was released stand-alone in February 2002.

Here be link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315403
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by IbanezLol
Download "Spinrite" and burn it to a blank CD using an Image writer such as ImgBurn.

It is bootable in DOS, so insert it before your PC tries to boot Windows.

Follow the on-screen instructions to perform a full deep scan on your HDD.

I've fixed many drives doing this.

if you can't get a hold of it, add my MSN - Ibanez@canada.com and I'll send you it and help you out with trying to fix it.

THanks i'll give that a go, I added you on MSN anyway since I won't be able to do it till tomorow now.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
system 32...

nah i wouldnt bring that back.

on topic:
ouch.
Rickenbacker 620
ltd mh-1000
Fender jaguar

tu-2>>FZ-2>MXR Flanger>Ph-8>Line 6 FM-4>DD-6

Engl savage Head.
black start artisan 4x12
I don't think he can delete system32 even if he wanted.

If you guys stopped trying to make the joke and actually read his post you'd know he can't even load up the OS from his hard drive
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)