This has really been bugging me. Say I have a song in A Major. What scales can I use to solo over it, and how do I figure out which scales will sound 'right'.
If the song is in A major, you use the A major scale.
Read the theory sticky and the crusades articles.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
well, it depends on the chords you use, if you play an Amaj chord you would most likely use the Amaj scale (or pentatonic) to solo over that part the when the chord changes you do the same. its not always the case but its a start i guess.
Learn theory yourself. It will answer these kind of questions and so much more. And just incase you don't... just learn the major and minor pentatonic boxes... Am pentatonic box over an Am chord(this is very, very basic.) The more you learn the more options you have though.
Quote by Kaos_00
Learn theory yourself. It will answer these kind of questions and so much more. And just incase you don't... just learn the major and minor pentatonic boxes... Am pentatonic box over an Am chord(this is very, very basic.) The more you learn the more options you have though.

I would recommend learning the major scale in all 5 positions first (and the theory behind it) b/c the major scale is pretty much the basis for all other scales, chords, etc. Also if you just learn the minor pentatonic you'll be so impressed with how cool it sounds that you won't take the time to learn other scales and it'll screw you up in the long run.