I'm looking for a 7 string guitar, but I'm not exactly thrilled with the line up of the more main stream guitar companies. Any one know any alternatives to Ibanez, ESP, and Schecter?

I prefer maple fretboards, FR trems, HSH pup config, ect.
Hmmm,I can't think of an H-S-H 7 string with those features that's a production model.You could save up more and go for a Carvin custom shop model.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I was thinking about that. Not sure about the quality of Carvin, although they make some beautiful looking guitars.
Their quality is very good. You get their pickups, though, not sure how the tone will suit you. But you can always swap those later.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by Evian
I was thinking about that. Not sure about the quality of Carvin, although they make some beautiful looking guitars.

In my experience the quality of their instruments is great,very high quality instruments.The price is cheaper because they sell them factory direct.If you have any problems with a model you order they have a 10 day money back guarantee,so you can just ship it back for a full refund.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Carvin has a sturdy reputation of a great quality guitar ocmpany. they also make some decent amps as well.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
Carvin has a sturdy reputation of a great quality guitar ocmpany. they also make some decent amps as well.

+1

The cleans on the Legacy series are some of the best I've ever heard.

A Carvin suits all of those specs you mentioned, and yes they are both beautiful and awesome playing guitars. Except the price range, im not entirely sure what they run at these days.
I just heard that Cort have launched a 7-string in their EVL series. Should be well within your price range but I've no details to hand yet. Liable to be Ebony fretboard and either FMG or Duncan pups.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

A 7 string HSH w/maple is pretty much only going to be available as a custom, or a high end Schecter/Ibanez/ESP setup perhaps

the only regular 7 I've seen with maple is the Jeff Loomis signature from Schecter, and that's an HH EMG 707 setup for the pickups. Good luck but the only other company who might have something good to offer is Agile. I know they make some unique ones, but I've never seen any with maple fretboards. You might just have to build your own.
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
Quote by Demon_dave
A 7 string HSH w/maple is pretty much only going to be available as a custom, or a high end Schecter/Ibanez/ESP setup perhaps

the only regular 7 I've seen with maple is the Jeff Loomis signature from Schecter, and that's an HH EMG 707 setup for the pickups. Good luck but the only other company who might have something good to offer is Agile. I know they make some unique ones, but I've never seen any with maple fretboards. You might just have to build your own.

RG1527M that was issued at NAMM follows those specs bar the HSH configuration really.
Quote by Lurcher
I just heard that Cort have launched a 7-string in their EVL series. Should be well within your price range but I've no details to hand yet. Liable to be Ebony fretboard and either FMG or Duncan pups.

Pics? I wasn't aware of this, and their site doesn't work no my computer. I'm not a fan of Cort after the last guitar of that brand I owned years ago, but I kinda wanna take a look-see at it
And the RG1527 is running at $1299 list, so it might be a bit out of your price range for the retail sale value, and isn't HSH. But I vote Carvin 747
Carvin builds the best playing 7 string I've used, I own one, it's in my profile if you wanna give it a look.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I tried getting a quote for Carvin, and it came out to be something like $1,480, but I noticed a guitar that had even better specs than the one I built was either on their ebay or in stock guitars for like $800. Is it just more expensive because they are custom?

I've noticed the RG1550M, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I what. I looks a bit bare.
Quote by Evian
I tried getting a quote for Carvin, and it came out to be something like $1,480, but I noticed a guitar that had even better specs than the one I built was either on their ebay or in stock guitars for like $800. Is it just more expensive because they are custom?

I've noticed the RG1550M, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I what. I looks a bit bare.

Things like fancy wood tops and finishes and selecting necks with say koa or walnut strips in them will jack the price up on a custom shop Carvin pretty fast.Just go through and select every option that has the word "Koa" in it and watch the price sky rocket.You can get them really cheap on Ebay since (and I don't know if this is 100% right) they have low resale value due to being custom instruments that are sold at factory direct prices.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Things like fancy wood tops and finishes and selecting necks with say koa or walnut strips in them will jack the price up on a custom shop Carvin pretty fast.Just go through and select every option that has the word "Koa" in it and watch the price sky rocket.You can get them really cheap on Ebay since (and I don't know if this is 100% right) they have low resale value due to being custom instruments that are sold at factory direct prices.

Exactly, mine totalled $1450 without going overboard. The maple top and finish typically adds $300.

Part of the low resale is that you have to compromise on ebay to get one close to your specs. The chance at getting one 100% where you want it are very slim. Any other guitar may only have 2-3 options including paint or pickups and such.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I've gotten two quotes on Carvin. The first one was extravagant. I got all the fancy options that I wanted, and it came out to $1,480.

Next, I tried doing a bare bones 7 string, and it came out to be $1,410. I didn't make much sense to me.
I'm guessing it's just because it's a 7 string.

Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
There was a thread a few weeks ago about 8-string guitars- many manufacturers were listed- and most of them make 7-strings as well.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1049532

As for Carvin, I know a few pro musicians who use them and consider them among their faves.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Build one from Warmoth guitars.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
Build one from Warmoth guitars.

Thats a good option as well but, I wouldn't be surprised if the price came out in the $1,400 range.

You can get a used Ibanez Universe 7 for about $900-$1,200. Both the current 777 and the black and green one sell for about that much on a regular basis.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
+1 for Vigier.

The Excalibur Supra is AMAZING. I have an Ibanez Universe and the Vigier blows it away (I only keep my Universe for sentimental reasons). Sonically the Vigier is just in a different league. Choice of Maple of Rosewood fingerboard, HSH - as for the trem it is not a FR but Vigier have the trems on needles bearings (sorta like ball bearings only better) and also a zero fret, Teflon nut and locking machine heads, making the trem as stable as a FR only without the hassle. The only downside to this trem is you only get about 1 1/2 step pull up - though that is enough for most players.