maybe you guy's can help inlighten me, whats with the whole the bass is just the guitars mentally handicaped cousin, image that the majority of people seem to have towards it?
because we all know that it isnt
A lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of the guys on the forum here are metal.

It sounds weird but, the bass in a lot of metal is almost nonexistant because of the guitar's unusually high bass presence and distortion.

A second reason would be that almost all pop music uses the bass pretty much how you describe it.

However, anybody that plays funk or blues or just knows how to play bass can really make people take notice and realize how much the bass adds to a song.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
because Jesus loves you.

now use the searchbar.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Pete Wentz.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
Quote by Cutlass_253
A lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of the guys on the forum here are metal.

It sounds weird but, the bass in a lot of metal is almost nonexistant because of the guitar's unusually high bass presence and distortion.

A second reason would be that almost all pop music uses the bass pretty much how you describe it.

However, anybody that plays funk or blues or just knows how to play bass can really make people take notice and realize how much the bass adds to a song.

oh yea i know exactly what you mean with the metal thing, thanks for the post that pritty all makes a lot of sense
Quote by the humanity
because Jesus loves you.

now use the searchbar.

Yes.

Really ThreadStarter, has been covered in various forms since dinosaurs roamed the earth, and alot of times the guy who brings it up gets n00b hammered.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Most failed bassists end up playing those jingle jangle treble guitars, so they express their bass envy through hatred, devil worship, and song writing. That is also how death metal started. Don't let it bother you. Just lord you massive instrument in front of them and render a low rumbling bass line with enough intensity to render them unconscious.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Quote by InvaderTSN
Reaction formation at work. Most people can't handle Pete's godlike playing, so they play it off like it's nothing special, when in reality, it's gnawing at them from the inside.

Im jealous of his ability to have the bass track continue to play at concerts when he's flinging his bass around, or is playing frets thats dont correspond with the right note.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Im jealous of his ability to have the bass track continue to play at concerts when he's flinging his bass around, or is playing frets thats dont correspond with the right note.

no, he is soloing. if they attached an amp, all lesser mortals would die.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I suppose a second reason is that, because of the nature of the two instruments, it became easier to learn to play the guitar faster, at levels much to fast for most bassists to play (cept maybe Billy Sheenan). This led them to become the center of attention, especially in the 80's (Van Halen being one example).

Because the bass is so big and heavy its harder to play. You sacrifice that ease for a deeper pitch and fuller tone. When heavy distortion came into play, guitarist could push up the bass and not have it sound like a flabby, farty mess.

In my opinion (as a guitarist primarily) I think the bass is a naturally better sounding instrument. It's awesome, and even a cheap bass sounds good without any effects or anything. But if you play a guitar clean through an amp, most of the time its pretty flat and lifeless, unless you have a nice amp and good fingers. I respect and love the bass.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
With all due respect to the bass regulars/semi-intelligent folks, this thread needs to be closed. Its on the fasttrack to nowhere.

*reported*
Quote by thefitz
Quote by Cutlass_253
I suppose a second reason is that, because of the nature of the two instruments, it became easier to learn to play the guitar faster, at levels much to fast for most bassists to play (cept maybe Billy Sheenan). This led them to become the center of attention, especially in the 80's (Van Halen being one example).

Because the bass is so big and heavy its harder to play. You sacrifice that ease for a deeper pitch and fuller tone. When heavy distortion came into play, guitarist could push up the bass and not have it sound like a flabby, farty mess.

In my opinion (as a guitarist primarily) I think the bass is a naturally better sounding instrument. It's awesome, and even a cheap bass sounds good without any effects or anything. But if you play a guitar clean through an amp, most of the time its pretty flat and lifeless, unless you have a nice amp and good fingers. I respect and love the bass.

now that anwsers my question to a t, thank you very much cutlass you have been most helpfull thanks to everyone else, next time i will use the searchbar, keep up the Pete Wentz bashing!
because u touch yourself at night.....

bass isnt all that bad its just funny cause they dont really do alot in music. however they are slowly coming back....
Is bad ass one or two words?
I don't hate bass, I just see it as the least important instrument in a metal band. Blues and funk and such its important.
how can someone say they don't do alot in music? Yeah in todays "popular" nickelback alternative music the bass probably follows the same damn riff as the song. But pop in mothers milk, blood sugar sex magik and listen to a bass god do his work. then tell me the bass has almost no use in music.

slap pop, and play funk like you've got a big dick!
Quote by JoePerry4life
I don't hate bass, I just see it as the least important instrument in a metal band. Blues and funk and such its important.

I dunno man. No bass = no heavy. That's why AJFA... sounded as thin as it did.
Nope, no sig here.
Cheers to Cutlass_253 and Markese!!!

Clearly the electric bass guitar has been the most influential instrument in the development of modern music, especially rock/metal. Unfortunately the mainstream bass guitar has not evolved as quickly as other instruments. To some degree the power and majesty of the bass has be supplanted by electronic instruments, guitar adaptations (7-string, baritone electric, etc), and various effects. This is partly due to the simplicity of the electric bass design, but also to other factors such the general lack of creative and demanding bass training. A highly skilled and creative bass player can turn a good song into a great song regardless of musical genre. A skilled bass guitarist will always find a paying gig.

Of course a skilled treble guitarist will always find a gig at a coffee house, serving coffee. Did I tell you the one about the guitarist who 's house burned down? Yeah, his van caught on fire. Oh..and what do you call a drummer without a girlfriend? Homeless.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Last edited by LowEndSlacker at Feb 10, 2009,
death metal has plenty of technically proficient bassists that can be heard well in a mix.

i think its when people start playing guitar, they figure that bass is simple 'cuz ya only play 1 string at a time huh huh'

but bass is only as simple or as advanced as you make it.. it has little to do with the instrument itself.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Feb 10, 2009,
Why do people care? Seriously, just learn to let the insults brush off you. There are a billion guitarists out there and not even a third of bassists, a skilled bassist will have a heap of bands to choose from and a skilled bassist sounds even cooler and more awesome then a guitarist of equal level. (IMO)

Also, i believe the bass will come back ! Sort of like a chaos theory.
Quote by LowEndSlacker
Most failed bassists end up playing those jingle jangle treble guitars, so they express their bass envy through hatred, devil worship, and song writing. That is also how death metal started. Don't let it bother you. Just lord you massive instrument in front of them and render a low rumbling bass line with enough intensity to render them unconscious.

Dispite the fact very few death metal bands have satanist topics, and some of the best bassists/guitarists around are in death metal bands *cough* Alex Webster.

pfft