So atm i have a squier strat with which i can get a perfect chilli peppers tone. I want to put a humbucker in to get a thicker, more rock sound but my dilemma is that atm the 'perfect chilli tone' is coming from the bridge, which would be replaced with a humbucker. Anything that could do both? I expect not and if so what pup do u recommend solely for a punk, blink/nirvana/early green day sound?
You're getting john's tone from the bridge position? Most of the time he uses the bass pickup(the neck). I'm a john fanatic and I still play an american fat strat. it's a single single and then a hum at the bridge. I get the perfect chili pepper/john tone and whenever i need the hum it's there.
low output humbucker would suit your tastes, but sound is derived from the amp not pickups
Quote by Markese
You're getting john's tone from the bridge position? Most of the time he uses the bass pickup(the neck). I'm a john fanatic and I still play an american fat strat. it's a single single and then a hum at the bridge. I get the perfect chili pepper/john tone and whenever i need the hum it's there.

Okay so i haven't been playing long and i meant the bass pickup... so THAT'S the neck pickup and the bridge pickup is the trebly one. Okay, that makes me happy... so as far as i can understand i will be able to easily chuck a humbucker in the bridge and still play the neck. sweet. Btw, it may seem from this reply that i am perhaps not ready to be modding my guitar on my own lol i was planning on getting the guy in the store to do it
I don't know what kind that is,but I'm assuming it's the squier starter amp.
If so YES!
Major problem.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
A squier strat isn't a bad beginner guitar at all. You would definitely see your tone improve with a better amp though.
I would get a better amp first, then if you want, the pickups. A low out-put humbucker in the bridge may help, but first see how the Strat sounds with the new amp. With some adjustments you may not even need new pickups right away.
Quote by Ian hawkins
I don't know what kind that is,but I'm assuming it's the squier starter amp.
If so YES!
Major problem.

yes to the amp being bad or are you saying the squier starter guitar is lesser quality than the standalone squier strats? A friend has an affinity and i reckon mine sounds close to his (on his amp :p - spider 3) but another friends bullet sounds horrible. Like i'd be returning it if it cost $100 (keep in mind that's australian prices, i paid 500 for the amp n guitar.