is it a better idea to go with an acoustic in the same price range rather than an acoustic-electric? the main reason right away for me to use the electronics would be for recording straight to my computer but then i could also just buy an audio interface and use a mic which i assume is already the preferred method by most?

so in that case would it really get that much better a guitar if i bought a 1000 dollar acoustic instead of a 1000 a-e?

are there any other things to look into when deciding between the two?
Well just roughly, you are paying a tad extra for those electronics. So you can get a better solid electric guitar for 1000$ Then a A-E for 1000$ Seeing as the same guitar that you paid 1000$ for the acoustic model would probably be 1200$ for the A-E model. Anyway there isn't too much of a difference between the two beside the added versatility. I prefer simply micing an acoustic for recording, I find A-E's are simply best for live performances.

Edit: Just so no one trys to pwn me, that's just my opinion...

Another edit I meant to say you can get a better solid ACOUSTIC for 1000$ ehehe sorry.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Last edited by milkmanv1 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by milkmanv1
Well just roughly, you are paying a tad extra for those electronics. So you can get a better solid electric guitar for 1000$ Then a A-E for 1000$ Seeing as the same guitar that you paid 1000$ for the acoustic model would probably be 1200$ for the A-E model. Anyway there isn't too much of a difference between the two beside the added versatility. I prefer simply micing an acoustic for recording, I find A-E's are simply best for live performances.

Edit: Just so no one trys to pwn me, that's just my opinion...

Basically, this.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I bought an acoustic electric in November. I fell in love with the sound of this one when playing it unplugged at the store. That was enough.

However, even though the guitar has lots of volume, the sound hole still projects away from me when I play. It can be a little hard to hear all of the sound when finger picking.

So I bought an acoustic amp (Marshal AS50R) about a month ago. It really helps me hear the instrument better. It's also a lot of fun to tune in different sounds and effects.

I can't say one type of guitar is better than another, but I find myself using the electronics a lot more than I thought I would when I first bought the instrument.
Last edited by Upland at Feb 10, 2009,