the nearest guitar shop is in the next town over and ill be checking it out in the next couple weeks to see what they have. they might have one of these since it seems to be pretty popular for a budget guitar. so hopefully i can see for myself when i get a chacne to check them out.

but id like to know how this guitar is for playability. im thinking the main difference between a guitar in this class and a 1500+ guitar is typically the sound that it produces moreso than the playability. does the playability of this guitar or this class of guitar fare noticeablly more than a guitar in the 1000-2000 range? ive been looking at some yairi's (dy40c) and heard ovations might suit my needs as well.

main thing for me right now i think is playability rather than getting the completely best sound. a really nice sound would be great and i think id like something a bit on the bright side rather than sounding mudded out. but im sure i wouldnt run into that trouble here and need to focus more on playability compared with the price.
I've owned a Seagull S6 Slim Version for about a year now. I purchased it from the internet "musican's friend" and it came like a beauty. The frets were really low and I was afraid of fret buzzes, even after a year, its still perfect w/o any fret buzzing. Playing a similiar version of the guitar at a near store, I expected the sound to be just as good when it arrived, but it wasn't so (I'm guessing the strings had to be broken in first).

I played continuously for a year now and the guitar has opened up much and it does sound a lot better. The sound I would say is very in between, not too bassy or too bright or tremble. The sound is very well balanced.

The guitar is a little bit different from others in the same price range, and what I mean is the neck width is 1.8 inches across (original one) which is generally wider in width and very good for picking. The neck length is very short, and if you're good, you'll be able to reach below the 12th fret. Overall, since I was a beginner when I started playing this guitar, it does have a nice feel to it, very easy to move around the neck. One thing I'll change is, that the neck is too narrow between the front of the neck to the back of it, I would prefer more of an oval or deeper feel, if that makes any sense.

Lastly, the quality on this thing is superb, very well buildt and managed and mine had no quality flaws from what I know so far. This was my first guitar and still is the only guitar I've owned. And like many others, I'm very interested in a better guitar, even ones that would seem unaffordable. I'll wait until I'm a lot better at playing the guitar before my next purchased. I'm assuming this is your first acoustic, this is a good buy.
Last edited by vang0341 at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by vang0341

The guitar is a little bit different from others in the same price range, and what I mean is the neck width is 1.8 cm across (original one) which is generally wider in width and very good for picking.

1.8 inches, not cm. that would be tiny! hahaha

The Seagull S6 is a great guitar. Like vang said, it's a well balanced guitar. Not too much of either side of the tone spectrum. It makes for a very versatile guitar.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
1.8 inches, not cm. that would be tiny! hahaha

The Seagull S6 is a great guitar. Like vang said, it's a well balanced guitar. Not too much of either side of the tone spectrum. It makes for a very versatile guitar.

oops
I've got the DY40C and had an s6 for several years. I'm loving the DY40C.. sound is awesome... the Seagull was really good too though... and your right, the playability is ... I don't want to say similar, but they are equally as good in their way.

The DY has better over all tone for my taste, but if you're into slide guitar at all.... well.. my particular DY doesn't do well for that. The intonation is too close right from the factory... The seagul is better that way....

On finger styles I can play either .....

but you know... because the DY cost so much more, I also spend a lot more on the strings.. so even that may give it a bit of an unfair advantage.

Hope that helps.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
I think the playability has a lot to do with the action and tension/gauge of the strings, which can all be adjusted. What can't be adjusted is the neck width, so you should probably consider that along with how the body of the guitar fits to you.
I've only played a small handful of acoustics in my life, but that's what I've gathered. I do know I like my Seagull though, and want to keep it for life.
Well, since you're making a trip, you might as well just play them all and you may just find one that plays perfectly for you that you didn't expect. The "best guitars under $300" thread was a huge help when I was researching.
Happy hunting, and I hope you find one that sings to you as well!
Fender Stratocaster (MIJ)
Ibanez SZ320EX
Seagull Artist Studio
Fernandes Orange Sonic OS-15
Line 6 UX-1
They play great. The only problem with them, if you have small hands, is that they have rather thick necks. I find that more comfortable, but I have huge hands.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
braggin' 'bout his big hands
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
I have tiny fingers and I still love the Seagull neck. My middle 3 fingers are no larger than 7.6cm. My pinky barely fits across the fretboard. To boot, my fingers are chubby as well. Somehow I manage though.

The reason I prefer the wider neck is because it's easier to play cleanly. Also, the Seagull neck is a bit chunky so it gives me extra leverage.
Equipment:

hmm .. now when you say its rather thick, do you mean as in girth like from front to back or up and down? also, whats the average girth and average length? just so i know how mine will compare when im holding it in my hands in the store..

also i wouldnt mind a fretboard that is wider so that everythings not so close, making it easier for me to run my fingers cleanly up and down as well as picking.
Last edited by theWallofYAWN at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by theWallofYAWN
hmm .. now when you say its rather thick, do you mean as in girth like from front to back or up and down? also, whats the average girth and average length? just so i know how mine will compare when im holding it in my hands in the store..

also i wouldnt mind a fretboard that is wider so that everythings not so close, making it easier for me to run my fingers cleanly up and down as well as picking.

By thick, I meant chunky. As in the distance from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck.

There is really no "standardized" thickness. All necks are just made to the manufacturer's specs
Equipment: