Hey everyone,

I'm relatively new to playing guitar, even newer to these forums so if this is in the wrong place, etc please tell me.

I have been playing on a 3/4 scale Acoustic Guitar, but since I am more into Rock/Metal I would really like an Electric. I have done a little research and asked two of my Guitarist friends, and they said this pack is quite good as a starter:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/GUITAR-PACK.aspx

However I read some forums that said Behringer is crap quality, so I wanted a third opinion. Is this pack good for a first time Electric Guitar/Amp combo?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by cagnaccikid at Feb 11, 2009,
Eh I'd avoid it and go for a different starter pack.IMO the laguna/line 6 starter pack is the best out there.The guitar is surprisingly good for a starter instrument and while the spider III may catch a lot of **** here,it works perfectly fine as a beginner/small practice amp since it offers a variety of sounds and effects to mess around with.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

A couple of questions.
1, What country are you in?
2, Have you researched other options?
This kit looks very much like the very cheap and inferior ones you see on eBay all the time. I have a couple of Behringer products and I am very satisfied with them except for the back-up service which is poor.
Really, a low-price guitar from Ibanez or Cort paired with a respected amp, like one from the Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr ranges would be a much better investment, in terms of playability and reliability. Learning electric on a poor instrument will do little for your style or enjoyment. So, expect to pay roughly around 200 - 250 euro for a very basic kit. (depending where you are). I can advise in UK and Ireland if you like.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Also the ibanez starter pack is even better then the Behringer one.
And i (believe) it comes with a roland cube ? Don't know certain, But the cube is a great amp aswell.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
I had this very same guitar pack, still have it, and I have to say it rocks. I found it to be better then I expected. I played for about half a year now, and now I'm moving on to another guitar, but for the starter, this is a great pack.
You need a guitar with humbuckers. NEED!
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Imo all starter packs are trash
If ur serious about guitar....u gotta be willin to spend more
Quote by Lurcher
A couple of questions.
1, What country are you in?
2, Have you researched other options?
This kit looks very much like the very cheap and inferior ones you see on eBay all the time. I have a couple of Behringer products and I am very satisfied with them except for the back-up service which is poor.
Really, a low-price guitar from Ibanez or Cort paired with a respected amp, like one from the Roland Cube or Peavey Vypyr ranges would be a much better investment, in terms of playability and reliability. Learning electric on a poor instrument will do little for your style or enjoyment. So, expect to pay roughly around 200 - 250 euro for a very basic kit. (depending where you are). I can advise in UK and Ireland if you like.

Bolded option is best.

There are a lot of decent starter guitars out there (second hand) to choose from, like the Yamaha Pacifica models or if you have a bit more money some epiphones or peaveys.

But more importantly, if you're going to be playing metal you'd need an amp with a good amount of gain on tap, most starter pack amps don't. like lurcher said, the roland cube line and peavey vypyr are good enough options. There's also the Vox Valvetronix series and other peavey amps like the bandit or rage. Take a good look around and take your time.
Last edited by Revhain at Feb 10, 2009,
Since you already know how to play, I don't think that getting a cheap starter pack would be a very good idea. Just get a decent guitar that is within your budget and a nice little practice amp to go with it. Most people on this forum will tell you that the Roland Cube is the way to go.
Hey I used to have that amp.
Great for starters, but its going to be impossible to get the tone you want.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Dude, Get the Highest end guitar you can afford.
If you get a starter, in about 2-4 months you will want to
get a high end axe. Don't waste money, but get something
you will appreciate and somehow inspire you to play.

Gear:
Jackson rr (X2n bridge)
Ibanez sz 320
Ibanez sr 300
Behringer v-tone gmx212
boss sd/ml-2/pw10
zoom g2
I have this exact package. I like the sound of the guitar, but it's really uncomfortable to play on. It might just be set up wrong. And the body is made out of plywood.

And what Baby Joel said about the amp is true. It's hard to get the tone you want out of it.
Last edited by Snytbaggen at Feb 10, 2009,
In response to your questions Lurcher, I live in Australia, and have looked at some other guitars and packs, but only as kind of backup plans, and none of which turned out any good. Right now I have gone off the Behringer pack and am looking at this guitar: http://www.axlguitars.com/as750bk_shape.html

and this amp: http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/454/item/116752/number/03584370/Vypyr%26reg%3B15.cfm

I am also looking at the Ibanez Jumpstart Package: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eu/products/jumpstart/GRX70DXJ.html

and the Squier Package: http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301610095

Any suggestions to go with these packs?
Quote by McLeod
I second one of the cheaper corts, they make good stuff

With all of the good things everyone has been saying about Corts, I'll have to check them out next time I drop into my local shop.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
that peavey vyper is a great starter amp. now you just need a guitar.
assuming you're gonna buy that amp how much do you have left over for a guitar?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
ok I'm not going to get a package anymore, I'm getting the Peavey Vypyr 15W Amp.

SomebodySomeone, my budget is simply whatever I have to pay to get a decent guitar, however, if I can I would like to keep the overall price below the AU$800-$1000 mark. Basically I earn AU$150 a month, and I would like to have the guitar before the middle of the year so thats... about 600 bucks max...
you think you can give me a link to an australian guitar store?
i can give you a list of good guitars from musician's friend but you live in australia. i'm sure shipping from Musician's friend and such would be a bitch
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
If you can spend about $800 get an Ibanez RG350DX.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
That really opens your options. Yes, please look at Cort 'cos they are the factory that build many of the Ibanez and Schecter guitars, and what I've seen of them, they are a match at a bit lower price.
Good choice with the Amp.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

So Cort guitars are good? Ok... any specific recommendations?

And thanks for the amp comment

BTW SomebodySomeone, I know only one Australian Music store (Muso's Corner, see below), having been in the guitar-ness for only about 8 mnths now (and I still suck... oh well...)

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm

EDIT: Which has Cort guitars... but no Peavey Vypyr Amps...
Last edited by cagnaccikid at Feb 11, 2009,
Look at billy hyde music. They are a bit over priced but they have a large range of rhings.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
i didn't see any peavey vypers in that site so i'll suggest getting the roland cube.
the cube series is just as great as the vyper(it's even better IN MY OPINION)

get these and you'll have a good setup to last you a while

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=172698&cart_id=645C898B-D818-2765-D8D2E8EEB1CCBCE9

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=171653&cart_id=645AA53B-EA44-B629-24FA638B72BB3727
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
hey i got a behringer metalien starter pack for my first. that one oyou got looks decent and it wil give you alot of good times. however not to be peevish but the frest if you look down the neck, are almost all misaligned. (im ocd so it matters to me) the best thing about your back? the amp. behringer is most known for their electronics and nice amps i have my 15 watt amp and it still screams at me. but what you want to do with your guitar it get a set of ernie ball power strings and put them on that guitar . i personally guaruntee that you will hear the difference as as soon as you play. the trem bar shouldnt be too bad mine holds up very well. i hope it reassures you to know that this is a great starter pack, coming from someone whos still playing one (sometimes over my Les Paul) for over a year
U can get a pretty good setup just, for that much money. I am in Australia, and you can just get an Ibanez RG321 and a Rolland Cube 60. That combo would be perfect for metal. New the cube cost $460 and the RG321 was $550 (might be a bit more since the price rise)

If not, u could get a epiphone G400 for about $420 new and a smaller cube30 for 300 bucks or so
RG's & Mesa's
OK so I'll probably get a Roland Cube if it's as good as the Peavey Vypyr... however is it worth shelling out the extra 70 bucks or so for a 20W amp over a 15W one?

As for guitars... I'm still looking...
Quote by cagnaccikid
OK so I'll probably get a Roland Cube if it's as good as the Peavey Vypyr... however is it worth shelling out the extra 70 bucks or so for a 20W amp over a 15W one?

As for guitars... I'm still looking...

actually no it isn't. i believe the 20 watt model offer 1 or 2 more gain channels but honestly the 15 is just as good.

as for guitars take a look at the Ibanez RG321
http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=172698&cart_id=645C898B-D818-2765-D8D2E8EEB1CCBCE9
for the price, it's a solid workhorse that'll last you a long time

that with the cube15 and you'll be set:
http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=171652&cart_id=645C898B-D818-2765-D8D2E8EEB1CCBCE9

total comes to about 780. a bit less than your budget(800-1000)
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Ok I'm getting the Roland Cube 15W and the Ibanez RG321.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Quote by cagnaccikid
Ok I'm getting the Roland Cube 15W and the Ibanez RG321.

Thanks everyone for your help.

no problem. come back and let us know how it worked out
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Dude, the Cube 15 has no effects or anything. You'd be better off with a Vypyr.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Dude, the Cube 15 has no effects or anything. You'd be better off with a Vypyr.

yes it does....
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
yes it does....

No, just an OD channel and basic EQ.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
No, just an OD channel and basic EQ.

my bad, i just check. turns out it doesn;t. couldn't sworn all cubes had effects

either way i still think the cubes are overall better quality.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Okay I asked my Muso friends about the Amp/Guitar Combo today, they said it's great, but I just did some recalculations about my income...

and it's gonna take me too long scrape together enough for the guitar...

so yeah... I need a cheaper (not crappier, just less expensive) guitar... preverably between 300-400 Aussie bucks.

I have come up with a different guitar closer to my price range: the Ibanez RG170DX.

http://www.musoscorner.com.au/site/index.cfm?module=STORETIGERV2&bit=products&product_id=169682&cart_id=645C898B-D818-2765-D8D2E8EEB1CCBCE9

Unfortunately I could not find any info on the Ibanez site. Will update with it if I can.
Last edited by cagnaccikid at Feb 12, 2009,
i would honestly bite the bullet and wait. i didn't see any guitar in the 300-400 range that'll be able to be a long term workhorse. try maybe a pawn shop? something used?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Yeah save up and get the ibanez rg321, u could get an epi G400 for 450 but u have to replace the tuners and that will cost atleast another 50 bucks
RG's & Mesa's
Ibanez GRG170DX.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30