I am trying to write something new that is out of the ordinary. I am tired of standard and drop D so I decided to try for some drop C but it just wasn't for me. (I play more of a pop-punk style rather than metal or anything.)

So I was wanting to see what kind of tunings you could possibly use but keep it in the genre range that I am aiming at. I'm sure any tuning could be used the right way to play any genre; but I just wanna see what you guys have to say.
Quote by warwaker
Yeah; Um.

That is basicly going to drop C.

I don't like that. =/

Actually, that would be D standard...unless you're already in Drop D...

Try open G.

Tune the low E up to G, the A down to G and the high E down to D.

Or DADGAD (which should be self-explanitory)
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Feb 10, 2009,
tune all your strings to E. soundgarden did that on one of their songs, pretty weird tuning if you ask me.
Quote by Guitartist

Try open G.

Tune the low E up to G, the A down to G and the high E down to D.

that's not open G. but i do recommend open G.

open G is when you lower both your E strings to D, and lower your A string to G. In the old days, many guitarists would simply remove the low E string, since they didn't use it much for playing in open G anyways.

i actually have a guitar set up specifically for open G, and i've written some really rad riffs with it. Open G is fun because it lets you do one-finger barre chords that contain thirds, you get a nice open-sounding low G note to play heavy stuff with, and you can play slide really easily in open G.
Quote by frigginjerk
that's not open G. but i do recommend open G.

open G is when you lower both your E strings to D, and lower your A string to G. In the old days, many guitarists would simply remove the low E string, since they didn't use it much for playing in open G anyways.

i actually have a guitar set up specifically for open G, and i've written some really rad riffs with it. Open G is fun because it lets you do one-finger barre chords that contain thirds, you get a nice open-sounding low G note to play heavy stuff with, and you can play slide really easily in open G.

Huh...I guess you're right.

I just assumed the root would be a G.

I guess what I posted would also be open G, though - wouldn't it? What else would you call it?
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist

I guess what I posted would also be open G, though - wouldn't it? What else would you call it?

It's still the same notes. a G is a G no matter where you play it right?
Quote by Guitartist

i'd just call it a G tuning. not specifically "open" G, the other five strings are correct, but again, the "official" open G is either no low E string at all, or it gets tuned to D and mostly ignored.
If you choose to do an open tuning chose a major, far easier to manage than a minor.
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
turn the tuning pegs in whatever direction as many times you feel like, round to the nearest notes, add distortion, come up with some weird chords and play around them in a sloppy way - worked for sonic youth
Last edited by cubs at Feb 11, 2009,