so my friend asked me to teach him to play some guitar and he's gotten to the point where he can play most basic chords and a few harder ones. but he can not play barre chords yet. today he asked me if i knew any good riffs using the chords i taught him. i said i'd check UG.

so i need to know some basic chord riff preferably ones that don't have barre chords

thanks
Quote by Y00p
Teach him the barre chords instead?

when he was 6 he was bitten by an eel on his index finger making barre chords impossible
Try some AC/DC stuff, they use open chords for a lot of their stuff and it's quite catchy and memorable

Mah Gear
Jackson DK2M -- Washburn X50 ProQ -- Epihone Les Paul Standard
Mesa Boogie 3-Channel Dual Rectifier w/ 2 x 12 Mesa Recto Cab & Peavey 5150 4x12 Cab
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss ME-70

I feel you may not have the expertise to teach guitar. Why hasn't he learned Hendrix style shapes yet then?
Quote by jacksonP
when he was 6 he was bitten by an eel on his index finger making barre chords impossible

Ok... that does make it a bit more awkward. Sorry about that then.

You could basically teach him any given groovy, catchy, well-known song, and change out the barre chords to more open chords. Ask him which songs he'd like to play, and go from there.

Quote by jacksonP

Must... not... sig...

How about free - alright now?
Quote by jacksonP

That is the weirdist thing that I've ever heard.
Does it just hurt him alot to do them or is there literally a piece of finger missing that makes it impossible.

Theres that guy without arms who can play guitar on youtube, if he can do it with his feet, I bet you guys can find out a way to do it to!

Play the open chord version of "She's Waiting" by Eric Clapton
Chords of warmness on the Soul by Avenged Sevenfold

Em, C, G, D I think, sounds really nice

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car