I made a pedal board the other day, and it's designed to hold 5 pedals plus a footswitch (no external power needed).
I thought it'd be better + more efficient if instead of running all the pedals off batteries, I ran them off of an adaptor or something, so I bought a 9V DC adaptor and a daisy chain wire.
When I plug the adaptor in and daisy chain it up, none of the pedals show any power at all.
When I take the daisy chain part off and just plug the adaptor straight into one of my pedals, it doesn't seem to work properly. The glowing LED lights seem to dim significantly, then light up properly when I remove the adaptor. On some of the pedals, the adaptor just makes it impossible to turn the pedal on.
What's going on?

My pedals are a Dunlop Crybaby, Digitech Bad Monkey, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff, DOD 460 Mini Chorus and a cheaper Crossfire Chorus.
They all run off 9V batteries fine, just not the adaptor.

What would I do to solve this?
Do I have to buy a big block thing like the Voodoo Labs power dealy or whatever?
Member of the Laney Cult
try a 1SPOT. They have a good reputation around here.

EDIT: you could use the pedal power but it will cost a lot more.
Last edited by bogg808 at Feb 10, 2009,
Can't seem to find the 1spot anywhere in Australia...
Anyone got any idea as to why the normal 9V adaptor doesn't seem to work properly? I know nothing about electronics, so it's probably something stupid, I know.
Would the Gator G-Bus 8 work? There's some on eBay and they look like they're the right kinda thing.
Member of the Laney Cult
Go to some of your local music stores and ask them about power adapters. If they don't have the 1SPOT they might have the Godlyke adapters. If you can't find any then try and order one of those adapters in. BTW they will probably only have the Boss PSU adapters which have 200mA which might not be enough for 5+ pedals.
Quote by bogg808
Go to some of your local music stores and ask them about power adapters. If they don't have the 1SPOT they might have the Godlyke adapters. If you can't find any then try and order one of those adapters in. BTW they will probably only have the Boss PSU adapters which have 200mA which might not be enough for 5+ pedals.

Alright well I found a 1spot on Ebay (it was labelled weirdly so I could only find it via Google)...so that should do what I want it to, right?
Like, it should have no trouble powering 5 or 6 pedals?
It says it can power dozens, but the guy at the electronics shop said that the adaptor he sold me should power my pedals, but it can't even power one properly.
Member of the Laney Cult
^ its probably one of those s**ty ones from dick smith or other electronics stores. I remember buying one from Jaycar Electronics with 1.7A or 2A and whenever I plugged in more than one pedal with a daisy chain, it would hum and screech pretty badly because it wasn't filtered or something like that. However, the 1SPOT should be fine because it was made to power pedals, not mobile phones.
Quote by bogg808

Not true, I have a Boss adaptor that came with my GT-10B and it definitely has at least 800 mA because that's how much the effects unit needs. It might even have more than that actually.
Turramurra Music stock 1Spots, usually have them in stock. Even though I don't think they're on the site.

http://turramusic.com.au
Gretsch 5120
Marshall TSL60/1936 Cab (2x12 Celestion)
Pedal Train:
Vox Wah / Boss TU2 / Ibanez TS9 / Boss GE7 EQ / Boss NS2 / Line 6 DL4

Proud owner of possibly the only good Fender acoustic...
Quote by JaykeSucks
It says it can power dozens, but the guy at the electronics shop said that the adaptor he sold me should power my pedals, but it can't even power one properly.

I hope you are gonna return it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
You need an adapter that puts out over around 2000mA
The one spot works great.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Your wall wart is dying/isn't strong enough, you need one that can put out a lot more mA that still works at around 9V.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Yes, I'm going to return the stupid adaptor, and I reckon I'll buy a 1spot...they seem to be generically loved around here.

Thanks for all the help!
Member of the Laney Cult