Poll: is there a difference?
Poll Options
View poll results: is there a difference?
picking is harder than fretting
27 57%
fretting is harder than picking
13 28%
they're the same
4 9%
undecided
3 6%
Voters: 47.
alright so I had a thought:

is fretting a guitar a more natural and thus more easily learned movement than picking?
if you think about it, moving the fingers while fretting strongly resembles the gripping movement that is basically one of our primary instincts from the day we are born, whereas the picking movement (the rotation of the wrist) isn't such a natural movement. therefor, is picking faster harder to learn than fretting (with the same hand)?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 10, 2009,
Yea, I think picking is harder. Especially alternate picking. I've been playing for 3 years and I still can't alternate pick.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I think picking is the hardest to get right because it's alot less sure in it's movement. Fretting is really nice and stable.
well, you all forgot about fingerpicking, which feels as much natural as fretting ^^
the only problem is that if you play chords with your finger, you don't have any skin left after afew hours of playing :P
Quote by Djaydjay
well, you all forgot about fingerpicking, which feels as much natural as fretting ^^

True. But yeah with picking, I still haven't got the string distances down that well (to the point that I could skip 1/2 strings without looking), I guess it's time to practise with fretting it comes naturally, to me it's almost like an extension of the arm if you know what I mean.
My fretting hand is a lot more natural than my picking hand, but I think a lot of that is from growing up playing the violin - my fretting hand already knew pretty much what to do. My picking hand still has many many stupid moments when it just goes to pooh.
When you start, think about how damn hard it is to pick anything for weeks (it is really!).

It's the same for fretting though. Neither are what we were "designed" for, as it were. This is why most people crumble after a few weeks and give up.

Tough call...

I've always thought it was more logical if left handed to play a "right handed" guitar. That way your writing hand is on the fret board. It just makes more sense to me.
I find fretting to feel much more natural than picking.

If you ask people of different skill levels, the answer might defferentiate
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
But yeah with picking, I still haven't got the string distances down that well (to the point that I could skip 1/2 strings without looking), I guess it's time to practise with fretting it comes naturally, to me it's almost like an extension of the arm if you know what I mean.

just the opposit to me: i NEVER watch my picking hand, but when i have to jump from the 1st to the 12th fret, i have to look at my guitar to get it right ^^

i just had problems with playing with my tumb's nail, but that's because I only did it for less than six months befor cutting it (couldn't hold a pick with long nails, it was slipping :P, and playing bass with nails sucks so hard)

I've always thought it was more logical if left handed to play a "right handed" guitar. That way your writing hand is on the fret board. It just makes more sense to me.

yay,i'm one of those
Last edited by Djaydjay at Feb 10, 2009,
I've been playing for 7 years, I find fretting is much more difficult.
Quote by dubstar92
Sparks92 is made of win

Member #26 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.
PM stepco12345 to join!

Last edited by Sparks92 : Tomorrow at 13:37 AM.
I think fretting is harder, correct intonation and letting all notes in a tricky chord is something that takes a fair bit of time.

In saying that though, i can alternate pick but still find it tricky sometimes to use it in the right places, i guess i stick more to playing solos with lots of mini riffs in there rather than hitting out a flurry of notes.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Well for me picking came alot harder..

Not saying i didnt have the accuracy in the picking hand, as much as the speed. my best kind of speeds for 16th notes were maybe around the 100 bpm mark, no more..
This was after 3-5 years playing, and at the same time, i was shredding joe satriani's materiall with my fretting hand.

So by comparison, i think picking is much more difficult, only 2 days ago, after 7 years of playing, have i all of a sudden learnt how to pick at speed, having just finished learning John Petrucci's solo in Dream theaters "Hollow years, live in budokan".
picking is way harder than fretting strings. You can improve your muscular grip on the strings way faster than you can automatically pluck the right string every time - with speed.

alternate picking is way hard I sound like george formby when I try it
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
imo it's all about legato, fretting isn't too hard neither is picking. bending, hammer on while sweep picking and hammer on A Major 7 with hammer ons.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...