Over the last few months me and a friend of mine had been messing around musically. He plays the bass and I play guitar. He met up with an old friend of his that happened to play drums and one of my best friends (who I also have jammed with a lot) plays the keyboard. We're currently missing a second guitarist but have a few people in mind. It was somehow decided one night that me and my Bass friend would start a band and over the last two weeks it has started to come together nicely.
About 50 hours ago I made a myspace, gmail, blogspot, flickr, and a youtube account for us (the tutorial So You Want To Be In a Band helped a lot in that department). Today I used a mic to record some acoustic samples of what I've been working on so people can have a few things to listen to.

Currently what we are working on:
1. We have a list of about 30 songs for us to learn to cover so we can do some small gigs with variety and different mixes each time to keep things interesting. The number will keep increasing the longer we play, obviously.
2. We're randomly writing lyrics (I have 2.5 full songs written out so far) and creating nice sounds and tabbing them to use for later. I have a concept album in mind based off an epic poem style piece I was writing a few years ago that is a model for the lyrics.
3. I've been "whoring" my myspace, for lack of better words. Posting bulletins on my personal myspace, facebook status, aim away messages, friend requests, etc, etc.
4. We're going to all meet soon, hopefully, to take some pictures of all of us to put on our myspace. Group and individual photos.
5. My bassist is also doing sketches to correlate with the storyline as mentioned in #2.
6. We're gonna put a few covers on youtube soon to hopefully get some subscribers before we put original songs up. Therefore, more people will be aware of it.
7. I have a few friends in bands who do regular gigs that I can coattail off of in order to learn the process and play with them, etc.

Some minor problems:
-I'm a senior in college, I'm broke, and I have no car. Once I graduate this may not be problem
-Bassist also has no vehicle but may get one soon.
-Drummer has a car but he has a problem in that he doesn't know where to put the drums and he has no idea how he would be able to transport the drums in his small car.
-Me and the keyboardist live about 30-45 minutes away from them which due to our immobility, this causes problems in that we have to do things at our computers and send them to each other and it seems unnecessarily complex... kind of like adding a middle man when you don't need to.

Solutions to the problems... well right now we've compiled a list of songs for us to learn in our free time and every now and then we'll meet to record something but as for now we're gonna practice songs from the list and then once our transportation issues are solves, this problem will no longer exist... and we'll all be on a similar page since we've been practicing from the list.

So why did I post this? I have a few questions

Based off of what I've told you, can you think of anything I/we forgot or did not think of to do?
Are there any free programs to make recording, editing, layering, etc music files (that we individual make and send to each other) easier?
Do you have any advice on what to do with the drums, both finding somewhere to put it and traveling with it?
Am I going about this whole thing in the right way?
Last edited by Physcosick at Feb 10, 2009,
put the music first, do your myspace and take pictures AFTER you've actually made some music.
practice at the drummers house so he doesn't have to move the drums, most gig places will have their own drums so you don't need to bother
use Audacity for recording
Rockin' shit
Just some tips on my point of view.

Your doing great, But 30 covers is alot, It could lead to exhaustion.
With this i mean that alot of the times you guys will be practicing and jamming the songs you'll eventually fall in a vicious circle that's hard to go out.

Alot of the bands here in Amsterdam fall into that vicious circle, They start with like 10 covers or so, So that they can perform live rightaway.
Then after the 10 covers they create like, 1 or 2 songs.
Here they stick with the covers they know and keep playing them more often than their own songs, Why ?

-Sometimes people like the covers so when the band is playing a show, They get good feedback from the crowd, And stick with them.
-Creating your own songs can be hard, Especially if they have complicated things.
When your at home, The creation process goes quick and fast.
But when you explain it to the band and you'll face different problems like, Different opinions, People not able to play such things, Maybe not their style.
-Covers are simple, Why ? Because you know them already.
When you and your band are going to do a new song that you created, No one knows how it has to sound yet, Or how it has to be played exactly.

So all i'm saying is covers are great and fun, But don't wait TOO long with it.

When i startted our band i already came up with the name before the bassplayer and the drummer joined why ?
I did that because else we'd be spending more time coming up with a name than actually playing.
And we'd be dissagreeing too much to come up with one name (since i'm very picky with those subjects)

Secondly, Our first repetition was a cover from Nirvana - Tourette's because it's simple it's fun and its the way we kind of wantted to go to.
Also after we did tourette's i right off startted with a song i created myself.
That way they got used to how we where gonna handle things.

What i'm trying to say is, Ofcourse voting and thinking all together is good.
But sometimes one person has to take care of things before they explode so to say.

I don't know if my advice helps you at all but i'm glad if i helped somehow.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by jimmyhotpants
put the music first, do your myspace and take pictures AFTER you've actually made some music.
practice at the drummers house so he doesn't have to move the drums, most gig places will have their own drums so you don't need to bother
use Audacity for recording

Thanks,
I'm checking out audacity now. I definitely considered the fact that it seems I'm putting a lot of emphasis on everything more than the music but at this point it's kind of difficult for us to consistently do the music. Therefore, I want to spend time getting everything together so everything will work. But yeah I definitely agree I need to focus more on the music itself. Once I graduate and get a job/car or what not, driving will be no problem. However, being loud at his residence may be a problem. However, I have at least 3 personal connections that would allow me access to 3 different studios... all of which would have a drum set. I probably could never use the studio frequently as it may frustrate them... but it's an option

Quote by G-loony

Your doing great, But 30 covers is alot, It could lead to exhaustion.
With this i mean that alot of the times you guys will be practicing and jamming the songs you'll eventually fall in a vicious circle that's hard to go out.
It's actually 40, now that I counted, haha. Personally it's not a lot for me as I know several of them in memory already and have a general idea on most of them. But I see what your saying in respect to my other members.

Quote by G-loony

Alot of the bands here in Amsterdam fall into that vicious circle, They start with like 10 covers or so, So that they can perform live rightaway.
Then after the 10 covers they create like, 1 or 2 songs.
Here they stick with the covers they know and keep playing them more often than their own songs, Why ?
Well the way I see it, if we're going to play at a location like a college bar (I do frequent my college bars) the young drunks there don't care much about what your playing especially if it's original. But if you play something like Chumbawamba, they'll be all over it. This way, if I play songs people know and like, more people will check out our myspace etc. During gigs that have, lets say, 10 songs... I would do covers that people will like to get people into it. Then once I get they're interest I can be like "here's an original song...". This is my way of thinking at least until we get a good amount of quality original songs. Doing covers on youtube would also be bringing in that aspect of subscriptions...

Quote by G-loony
When i startted our band i already came up with the name before the bassplayer and the drummer joined why ?
I did that because else we'd be spending more time coming up with a name than actually playing.
And we'd be dissagreeing too much to come up with one name (since i'm very picky with those subjects)
I came up with the name a few months prior to any talk about a band... but that was partly because of the Poem I was writing and I was reading The Aeneid by Virgil and I got inspired. I'm very picky about things too but everyone has been very receptive to my name and everything I've done for it so far.

Quote by G-loony

Secondly, Our first repetition was a cover from Nirvana - Tourette's because it's simple it's fun and its the way we kind of wantted to go to.
Also after we did tourette's i right off startted with a song i created myself.
That way they got used to how we where gonna handle things.
Yeah but I'd imagine me doing a little more than just one song before talking to the audience. Come out playing strong for two songs and then talk to the crowd a bit and introduce next song while guitars tune.

Quote by G-loony

What i'm trying to say is, Ofcourse voting and thinking all together is good.
But sometimes one person has to take care of things before they explode so to say.
I've definitely seemed to have taken over the leader role... well, me and my bassist but we're both on the same wavelength on everything. I'm afraid me being over critical on things may be a problem but I'm working on that while still being critical enough. Overall, I've been very straightforward with everyone and making sure we're all ok about things before and some times after I do something but I'm aware we're gonna disagree and have to compromise.