If this belongs in the wrong forum kindly move it please. Been along time since I last posted here. My up and coming band called Diseas from the Gold Coast is a Death Metal band. Our guitarist suggested I put my bass into Drop C tuning CGCF, I said I usually play Drop B, BF#BE, or Drop A, ADEG or something like that. I just wanted to know what would give a good grizzly death metal sound

Thanks in advance
Drew
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
I say stick with drop C because when you go to drop B or A it becomes too "boomy" and you lose the grizzly sharpness in the distortion.

Ofcourse, if you play without distortion, fair enough go down to B or A.
Last edited by McShredder at Feb 10, 2009,
Is Drop B a full octave below the low-B on a 5-String? Please tell me it isn't...
And did you want advice vis a vis tuning or general metal tone (e.g. basses, amp settings etc...) ?
Stupidly low tuning imo. just because you play Drop Z doesnt make you sound super heavy...
Play what the guitarist is playing in.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
play what ever tuning you feel you need for the music. if you want a "heavy" sound, it comes from what you're playing. i can down tune to A and not sound "heavey". if you want a thicker tone then mess with your EQ. and IMO low tunings get lost in the mess too easily. if you go with drop B or A i'd advise getting some thick ass strings that are pritty bright so you cut threw better. but that's just my opinion.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
If your playing in drop B or A on a 4 string, get a 5 string.

Godsmack has a lot of music that is Drop C and it sounds about as heavy as it gets while still being clean and tight music.
drop c and drop d work for me
Cryptic Metaphor!

Quote by ZachisSuperCool
"How to finger the bass faster"
That's funny, I guess every high school has a really fat chick named The Bass.
Quote by Drezzdez
If this belongs in the wrong forum kindly move it please. Been along time since I last posted here. My up and coming band called Diseas from the Gold Coast is a Death Metal band. Our guitarist suggested I put my bass into Drop C tuning CGCF, I said I usually play Drop B, BF#BE, or Drop A, ADEG or something like that. I just wanted to know what would give a good grizzly death metal sound

Thanks in advance
Drew

Get a five string
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by alternitivebass

Honestly, you're just making a hassle for yourself if you don't. Especially when it comes to metal.
Quote by Casketcreep
Surely this is just for people who can't transpose in real time?

"Death Metal band"

I was going to say what you just said, but in much less tactful ways, thanks for saying it for me.
I really dont see why making your job in the band easier is a bad thing. Yes you could spend a couple of hours just transposing all the songs you play, or you could simply tune the same as them, there's nothing wrong with it, it doesnt make you a worse musician.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I really dont see why making your job in the band easier is a bad thing. Yes you could spend a couple of hours just transposing all the songs you play, or you could simply tune the same as them, there's nothing wrong with it, it doesnt make you a worse musician.

I find tuning BEADG while the guitarist is in drop D easier than going BDADG, so theres no need to tune down-ish.
Quote by isaac_bandits
I find tuning BEADG while the guitarist is in drop D easier than going BDADG, so theres no need to tune down-ish.

What about songs that are written for the economy of motion of DADG?

I think it would be a hassle to go BEADG if the song is written best for something else

(that in mind, the stuff I transpose from CGCF to CFA#D#G# fit really nice; they aren't written very specifically for a drop tuning, or for that tuning specifically (though one song has a lot of open F, so I cave in and downtune that string for that song))

Then again, my example isn't really the same as the Drop D thing because mine retains the lowest open note of the drop tuning (if that makes sense to on-readers) and distances are actually decreased (F is closer to C than G is),,,, so my example isn't the best, but it is the best I can do.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by isaac_bandits

I'd rather play an open D string than have to fret the 3rd on the B string.

Seems like a move to just make things a pain in the ass to me considering how easy it is just to drop one string.

But hell, your gonna get the same thing ... and the B string does give its crazy thick tone.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by alternitivebass

This. Seriously, it'll make songwriting and everything else so much easier. Especially if you are like the vast majority of death metal bassists who just follow the rhythm guitar. But even if you're not, it'll still make your and everyone else's life much easier
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
It doesn't matter how good you are at transposing, there's a lot of open chugging in a lot of metal. Not using the guitarist's tuning is just silly and a big hassle.
Quote by Zycho
It doesn't matter how good you are at transposing, there's a lot of open chugging in a lot of metal. Not using the guitarist's tuning is just silly and a big hassle.

My guitarists and I regularly tune differently when we're in altered tunings outside of drop D. That being said we aren't a Death Metal group, but as a general rule you don't HAVE to tune the same as your guitar players.
Quote by Zycho

I was thinking along the lines of this. Not necessarily just the open chugging, however, as that still leaves room for just practicing. I'm talking about pedaling here.

Now I'm quite honestly not a hard metal kind of guy - honestly I don't go much past Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold, and they're still not my norms. But I can imagine that some metal songs would have plenty of pedaling, or wide hammer-ons from open. In these cases, especially in faster songs, it would be an exercise in futility not to tune the same as the guitarist, it seems.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by MustangMan311
Yeah, **** the guys who think you're a better bassist for playing in a different tuning and what not.

Umm, you are a better bassist if you know how to play in, and are comfortable playing in, different tuning, to get different sounds, and play in different ways. **** the people who think that different tunings are not worth a damn.

As for playing metal and tuning the same as the guitarist. Yes it is helpful and that is why bands do it. Yes it is a hassles to play standard when you guitarist is a step below you. You are missing out on a range of notes that may be exactly what you need to fit into the song. Transpose in real time? Please, you can not transpose to what is not there unless you are willing to accept a completely different sound that what you goal most likely is.
Last edited by TormentedRx at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by TormentedRx
Umm, you are a better bassist if you know how to play in, and are comfortable playing in, different tuning, to get different sounds, and play in different ways. **** the people who think that different tunings are not worth a damn.

As for playing metal and tuning the same as the guitarist. Yes it is helpful and that is why bands do it. Yes it is a hassles to play standard when you guitarist is a step below you. You are missing out on a range of notes that may be exactly what you need to fit into the song. Transpose in real time? Please, you can not transpose to what is not there unless you are willing to accept a completely different sound that what you goal most likely is.

Your last paragraph is what I'm trying to say. It seems like all these guys despise drop tunings and tuning down just because they're the almighty bassist.