Long story short, I've got a lot more spare time now and I don't want to return to WoW/facebook/other time wasting facilities. I played the Clarinet in high school, but I've always wanted to learn the guitar and the piano. In the interests of productivity/cost and time, the guitar won by a long margin.

After a bit of research, I shall be acquiring a Greg Bennet Avion AV1 guitar, a Peavey Vypyr 15 amp and a few other basic goodies to get me started on the path to guitar enlightenment. I will be getting some lessons down the track, but at this stage I am quite content to do the basic self tuition and just being happy with the sound that I can make.

Guitar Pro 5 software is high on my list of items to be purchased, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Any recommendations about where to start?

I learnt a lot from my time playing the clarinet, mainly that you have to want to learn/practise and I can't say that I've ever been more thrilled to start something like this.

I'm a big Metallica fan and that is ultimately where my studies will go, but I'm not going to deny the artists that have influenced and inspired my interest in learning this instrument.
THANK YOU for shedding Facebook. Do you feel your soul returning? That's the lack of WoW.

Guitar Pro is a great program to get, theres many things you can do with it that will help your studies further.

And your clarinet theory should help a lot in the long run.
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
yo i used to play clarinet too
but that was so long ago and i cant remember anything from it apart from basic music theory.

best way to start off, i think, is to get a tutor at least for a few lessons to show you the basics of how to hold a guitar and the best playing techniques. once you've got the hang of the basics, alot of guitar can be self taught by learning other bands songs and stuff. also, i reccomend buying some guitar related theory books to help you apply theory to the guitar
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
yo i used to play clarinet too
but that was so long ago and i cant remember anything from it apart from basic music theory.

best way to start off, i think, is to get a tutor at least for a few lessons to show you the basics of how to hold a guitar and the best playing techniques. once you've got the hang of the basics, alot of guitar can be self taught by learning other bands songs and stuff. also, i reccomend buying some guitar related theory books to help you apply theory to the guitar

excellent advice! Also check out the resources here at UG, some fine articles etc.
Most people eventually move AWAY from Metallica. It really restricts them musically.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I'd recommend taking a look at TuxGuitar.

I only started a couple of weeks ago, but for tabs this program can read Guitar Pro and Power Tab files and is (perhaps most importantly) free. I'll admit, the sound reproduction is abysmal, but I just listen to the actual song if I want to hear what it really sounds like.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
do not loose your clarinet-ness either though, the prasing really, when you only have so much breath, versus fingers forever
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You wont feel the urge to go back to WoW after playing for a bit either! Stick with it through the first few weeks, and you're on your way to guitar awesomeness.
Quote by Eerif
You wont feel the urge to go back to WoW after playing for a bit either! Stick with it through the first few weeks, and you're on your way to guitar awesomeness.

YES. WoW is not good to help outgoingness : (
Quote by Aktavite
Guitar Pro 5 software is high on my list of items to be purchased, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Any recommendations about where to start?

Guitar Pro is perfect for training! But some well known songs seems are not available in gtp format. When I have just lyrics with chords I am using tiny freeware program - www.chordpad.net.

BTW: I could not find some famous old songs even in chord form
Such as We are animals by Nazareth
Last edited by Gitarino at Feb 11, 2009,
id suggest getting a few lessons because with self tuition comes learning things the wrong way, and one you learn something the wrong way it is soo hard to undo. i only just got the hang of holding the pick the right way !! but yea seriously consider atleast 3-5 guitar lessons to start.
- Don't tie yourself down to one band. You'll be musically restricted.
- Take advice cautiously. But if someone is TELLING you how to play, tell them to f-ck off.
- Practice
- Don't automatically get bummed out because you can't play super awesomely (is that a word?)
- Don't 100% work on scales/chords. Dont 100% work on songs either. Divide it up. Discipline yourself and have some fun also.
- Practice
- Get together with some friends. There's always something you can learn from other people.
- Grab yourself some tab/music books and also some chord/note books. Learn from them.
- Practice
- Just because someone has THIS guitar or THAT amp doesn't make them a better player
- There are tons of tutorials and demos and lessons on YouTube.
- Read the Lessons section on this website. You'd be surprised how much you can learn within a few minutes.
- Practice
- You WON'T become an overnight success but you WILL become better.
- Practice
- Going in hand with getting together with people, spend some time at your local music/guitar shop. For example, Guitar Center usually attracts buttloads of people just like you. Spend some time there. There is ALWAYS something to be learned.
- Practice
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most people will be willing to help you out. Just drop a post on the UG forums or ask someone.
- Practice
- Use Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) to import songs, slow them down, and learn them. Don't 100% rely on tabs. It is GREAT to hear things by ear and apply them to the fretboard.
- GuitarPro and PowerTab are great options, but check out free programs such as TuxGuitar. All have their ups and downs.
- Practice
Get up and free yourself from yourself.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (silverburst)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

Last edited by ewall09 at Feb 11, 2009,
Welcome to guitar fun!!!

Man I started about 8-9 months ago. It's been awesome, so when I say welcome to the world of guitar I mean it. It's a blast. I've been self taught this whole time myself so there is nothing wrong with it.

Musicians Talk Forum and Guitar Basics forum here on UG are where you can probably learn the most especially Musicians Talk, even if you don't understand what is going on ask question so many people are willing to off their help and advice. Now as someone has already stated don't talk everybody's word as 100% right most you while have to figure out for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Remember the music man when your playing. Learn your scales, chords, notes all that stuff. But every practice session I do after running scales up and down, strumming new chords from open to barre to add, dim, or any other that I have come across. End it with a nice improv portion where you just get wild and pair everything together that you just learned.

Enjoy yourself, don't make it a chore, stay dedicated, enjoy yourself!! Go out and meet other musicians even if they have years of experience over you ask if they mind jamming with you. Most will say okay lets rock. Sure they may only have you play some basic open chords so that can solo or lead over it but if you pay attention to just what they are doing then you will learn more than what you ever will just sitting by yourself. I have a friend that has been playing for over 10 years now and he is amazing to watch. When I first started he actually asked me if I wanted to jam. At first I was obviously kinda scared becuase I sucked didn't know anything. He just had me play a simple C-Am-G chord progression nice and easy and he went over it. Now we switch back and forth with lead. Obviously I'm still no where near what he can do but I've learned so much from doing it that way.

Seriously just remember to enjoy yourself!!! Enjoy the music! Don't get tied down to one genre either. That will limit you alot. Listen to everything that has a beat and guitar in it and try to listen to what they are doing and expressing. From blues, rock, metal, country, slide, old, new, doesn't matter.

ENJOY YOURSELF!!!
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Quote by Froboarder
Most people eventually move AWAY from Metallica. It really restricts them musically.

That can be said about focusing on anyone/thing for too long. I wouldnt say Metallica is restricting though, Kirk Hammet is prime example of how you can create beautiful solo's that are also very simple. IE intro to Fade to Black, Sanitarium, etc.
Thanks for the replies, I'm following up on a few of those programs/websites. I've got a few pages/training videos lined up ready to go as soon as I can break my guitar in. My neighbour is quite heavily into guitar and I've already set up a few jamming sessions.

I'm not walking into this expecting to be able to play everything straight off. What I'm really looking forward to is being able to tune out from the world and just hammer away making music, be it via improvising or learning some great songs along the way.

I use my time in WoW as a basis for how much I will practise. It took 6 days, 12 hours to get my Death Knight to 80. That's 156 hours! Imagine what I can achieve focussing that effort into learning the guitar.

Like I said, whilst Metallica is my main influence, I'm not going to learn their set list and be done with music. The playlist on my Ipod contains more then just Metallica. Likewise, it probably won't be too long before I purchase an acoustic guitar and learn from that point of view.
Guitar > WoW (:
Get up and free yourself from yourself.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (silverburst)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

Awesome man.

I currently play clarinet in my school band. I'm also a self taught guitarist, almost 2 years now.

I personally don't use guitarpro, but I find tuxguitar to be useful (its free). Not sure what guitarpro has over tuxguitar.

Anyways...
good luck.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Who says you have to buy GuitarPro?

Simple If you like metal, (no need to 'study' metallica, because if you sound just like them, you are only a number, not a name) Make your own path.

First learn basic basics, like how to push on frets and what on earth a string is, then, learn basic chords, and learn the power chord shapes, and also learn to read tabs. After, then you can learn scales such as minor, and the pentatonic, which is over used in metal, but nobody cares.
After that, youre on your own.
I mentioned a few months back to a friend that I'd always wanted to learn guitar for as long as I can remember, and long story short, I now have a Vintage Les Paul left hander (yes, I'm a leftie, and yes, I know most things are made for right handers).

I found a teacher about 3 weeks ago and he's teaching me stuff like the C Major scale, G Major Pentatonic, and E Minor Blues. Also teaching me basic renditions of Happy Birthday, Smoke on the Water, 7 Nation Army, and Iron Man. Also learned 3 "power chords", A5, D5, E5.

This last week, he handed me my first three "actual" chords, A, D and E, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to make my stupid fingers do what my brain knows they should be doing. Can anyone give me any advice on ways to improve my finger strength so I can bridge over strings properly instead of muting them?

Also, any other tips and hints for a complete beginner would be massively appreciated.
Jaxx, make sure you have proper form when playing chords. your thumb should be in the middle of the neck and not wrapped around the top of the neck. This should give you some extra slack allowing you to curl your fingers around to hit just certain strings. Use only the tips of each finger (Make sure you clip your nails).
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Jaxx, You can move that one power chord shape around the whole neck, and they're all power chords!
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.