Page 1 of 2
Hey!
Since im going to a boarding school next year, im looking for a new amp.
Right at the moment i have this Marshall 100W half stack, which i can't bring, simply cause its too big!
So..
Max $1200
All tube
Combo
Around 40 - 60W

I play blues rock, hard rock (from Gary Moore to Guns N' Roses) so a good distortion is needed.
If you find a good amp with a sad distortion, then it would be nice if you could find a good distortion pedal to fit in the price range.
Okay..

Thanks!
Tough one, tube amps are so loud, perhaps a JVM combo, I don't know their price by heart.
Well actually i can do with 30 watts, but most 30 watts amps seems to be small copies of the awesome amps, which i hate cause they always has that cheepy copy-like sound.
Btw, the JVM combos are all $2000+
Last edited by rasmusschaal at Feb 10, 2009,
40 - 60w is way too loud for a boarding school.

Orange Tiny Terror Combo.
7w/15w and perfect.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
A vintage modern Marshall ? 50 watts, it's 1200 euros. I gues it's pretty good for Guns 'n' Roses
Classic 30, or AC30? or yea those might be too loud when you wanna crank them.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
you sure about 40-60W? if so id check out the fender hot rod series which would leave you with some money left over for a few nice pedals to get your desired tone.
Classic 30/50 + Attenuator for when you want cranked tone.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
vox ac30cc2
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I'd grab a Tiny Terror and throw a couple pedals in front.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
if you plan on jamming with a full band and wants some clean headroom the yah ya needs 40-60 watts. look up 1x12 combos in that range. plenty of options there.
but if you just want overdriven/distorted sounds a tiny terror combo or other low wattage combo could be preferable, but still loud as hell with the master volume cranked.
but if you're just practicing a modeling amp with headphones or a pocket pod kinda dealie might be ideal and save you tons of cash.
if ya go used you can get more bang for your buck
Last edited by /\musi/\ at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by /\musi/\
if you plan on jamming with a full band and wants some clean headroom the yah ya needs 40-60 watts. look up 1x12 combos in that range. plenty of options there.
but if you just want overdriven/distorted sounds a tiny terror combo or other low wattage combo could be preferable, but still loud as hell with the master volume cranked.
but if you're just practicing a modeling amp with headphones or a pocket pod kinda dealie might be ideal and save you tons of cash.

Except for the fact that I continuously use a 15W tube amp for band practice clean..
Quote by /\musi/\

no dont listen to him. I use my crate v18 at practice. overdriven at about level 2 it is heard over the drums
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Engl Sovereign
Mesa Boogie DC-5
Brunetti Maranello
Soldano 44 BMC
VHT pittbull classic combo

If you can find them used for that price, they're all good deals for what you want. Especially the Soldano.
Gear Whore
Quote by fifer
no dont listen to him. I use my crate v18 at practice. overdriven at about level 2 it is heard over the drums

What does your drummer play with, rubber sticks?
Gear Whore
All the TT recommendations are a bit off. The dude has $1200, and you want to recommend what is basically an entry-level tube amp? I mean, the TT is almost lifeless.

If you want new, then a Bogner Alchemist 40 112 is up your alley, as is a Classic 30.

If you will go used, Mesa DCs, Mesa F-Series, Mesa Mark Series (if you can find one), Peavey XXX Super 40 (maybe...), etc...

Where do you live?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by *Def*

Do you know how loud tube amps are?
People don't know what they're talking about... as usual lol.

A tiny terror is ok because of the 15w/7w switch, but its not the biggest change in actual volume.
If you can find a crate v18 on ebay and then buy a digitech hardwire distortion pedal of your choice (either the tube od or the metal od both of which are great) you'll be set.
Also you could do a vypyr if you liked the sound of it.

Don't spend the whole amount of money you have dude. Just get what you need and just save up for a car or what ever lol.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by JilaX^
Do you know how loud tube amps are?

Yes, I own four of them.
Do you know how loud my drummer is?
Gear Whore
i'm just sayin' that for 1200 you could get something more versatile than a tiny terror.

in a dorm room, even a 5 watt amp would be too loud to practice on, cranked.

how about the traynor ycs50?
britsh voiced, 1X12 speaker, switchable from to 15 watts

or something with a built in attenuator (for decent overdriven sounds at low volumes)
like a thd univalve for 600 bucks on ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_sopZ12?_nkw=thd+univalve&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=thd+bivalve&_osacat=0

or better yet, instead of asking us jerks, look at musicians friend for combo amps in your price range.

or even better, bring your axe to some guitar stores try **** out
Last edited by /\musi/\ at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by *Def*
Yes, I own four of them.
Do you know how loud my drummer is?

You do know that they all go very loud, and the difference in wattage isn't equal to the difference in volume?
what kind of currency we talking here? i recommend getting a POD X3 plus some studio monitors, if you mean USD.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'll add onto my recommendation.

- Orange Tiny Terror Combo
- Ibanez Tube Screamer
- EQ Pedal

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
what kind of currency we talking here? i recommend getting a POD X3 plus some studio monitors, if you mean USD.

Or a POD X3 + Tube Power Amp + Studio Monitors
Quote by bulletrocks522
Or a POD X3 + Tube Power Amp + Studio Monitors

Or a Pod X3+ Atomic Amp.

Don't judge me.
Quote by JilaX^
You do know that they all go very loud, and the difference in wattage isn't equal to the difference in volume?

Oh yes but my Mesa DC-3 can't blow my drummer away, whilst my Bogner Ecstasy and my Engl SE EL34 can do this easily.

Ofcourse I combine those with 4x12 cabs, the difference in wattage might not be equal to their actual volume but their quality makes sure it sounds better at high volumes.
Gear Whore
Used Budda Superdrive 30.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Just a heads up:

An Orange Tiny Terror is too loud for a dorm, stop recommending it over better amps that are only a bit louder.

Plus, it is an overrated and overpriced entry level tube amp, TS could do much better.
Last edited by Mike! at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by Mike!
Just a heads up:

An Orange Tiny Terror is too loud for a dorm, stop recommending it.

Plus, it is an overrated and overpriced entry level tube amp, TS could do much better.

The latter has already been said. As far as the former goes, that's not true. Any amp is quiet enough for a dorm room.

Don't judge me.
wow, a lot of tiny terror hate in here. I've never played one so I don't know, but still.
Quote by shoolocomous
wow, a lot of tiny terror hate in here. I've never played one so I don't know, but still.

It's not hate. They aren't horrible amps, they're just overpriced and flat-sounding.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
The latter has already been said. As far as the former goes, that's not true. Any amp is quiet enough for a dorm room.

I modified my post right after posting it.

The thing is, there isn't much of a difference in volume between a 15 and 30 watt amp, it's more like a difference in headroom.

And yes, any amp is quiet enough for a dorm, but I'd like to at least play my amp on 3 instead of 1
Quote by Mike!
I modified my post right after posting it.

The thing is, there isn't much of a difference in volume between a 15 and 30 watt amp, it's more like a difference in headroom.

And yes, any amp is quiet enough for a dorm, but I'd like to at least play my amp on 3 instead of 1

when your measuring to see which amp will sound best at lower volume, headroom is what makes the difference, not volume.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by *Def*

no, he plays with drum sticks made of wood. maybe your drummers play with metal sticks. my drummer is loud though, and my amp is still heard over him. maybe your amps arent as loud as mine...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Page 1 of 2