hello,

so i want to replace my amp (peavey bandit 112) with a valve amp (considering a engl screamer /jcm 900 or and mesa mark III combo)

advice for a new amp is still welcome.

point being: somebody on another forum said that buying a valve amp would be a waste of money. I better could keep my peavey bandit 112 and buy a zoom gt8 instead. cause I wouldnt notice any difference. I only play at my room so the volume knob goes rarely above 2.

is this true? or bullpoop (havent tried a valve amp atm)

and would any of those 3 amps suit my style? metal/punkrock stuff
For bedroom levels if you really want a tube amp, why not get a low wattage one? That will give you the sound you want w/o blowing your doors off. I have a 50 watt valveking and after the speaker change can barely crank past one w/o getting screamed at by the neighbors.

Go play the ones you are thinking about getting. You will quickly see what I mean. That being said, I love my valveking in the spring summer and fall because I can set it outside and crank it up and it sounds amazing for what I paid.
Tube amp is generally better. They don't have to be cranked to sound nicer either as even their cleans are better too IMO. Another thing about all tube amps is their ability to overdrive their input stages (pre-amp) and get a good distortion. A lot of effects seem to work better in tube amps as well. My Boss CE5 Chorus sounds stronger in my Bravo112 than in my Traynor DG.

The above poster has a point! 15 -20W tube is enough for almost anything except maybe concerts which you probably won't be playing in for awhile yet!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 10, 2009,
Get what you can afford and like the sound of. My bedroom/never-goes-above-2 amp is a Boogie Mark IV.
Hi, I'm Peter
If your just going to be using it at home and want tubes then 1 of the 5 watt amps is the way to go. My epi Vjr can be turned up to get the good tone without waking everybody in the house or pissing the neighbors off.
How bout a Krank Rev Jr. The only decent low wattage metal tube amp I can think of.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Dirk Gently
Get what you can afford and like the sound of. My bedroom/never-goes-above-2 amp is a Boogie Mark IV.

+1

try a bunch of amps of varying wattages at the volume you'll mostly be playing at home. a lot of people will tell you to get low-wattage tube amps for home use, but they're generally very loud too, and generally are aimed at low-gain tones- not much use if you play metal, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TBH I use a 100 watt power amp, and the volume really doesn't have to be up that high to sound a LOT better than my old AD15VT (even with my Digitech RP300 acting as preamp).
Tube amp + power attenuator = problem solved

A heavily bled amp may lose some of it's tone,but attenuators are definitely great tools to keep tube amp volumes in check while still being able to push the tubes.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

100 watt tube amp + attenuator = solution.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything with the name "zoom" on it.

EDIT: Holy crap. How did my reply be identical to the above reply? Wow.
Quote by Dirk Gently

I have to agree with this as well. And while tube amps may not sound their best at low volumes, they still sound very good. It's nice to be able to crank it up when the time is right as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'd still look into the 15W - Max 30W range unless you plan to sell this amp as soon as you join a band! Although a low power (5W) amp will sound great, 5W will not provide enough headroom to play actively with others so you'll have bought soemthing that's only good for practice.
I used to own an old Fender Reverb or Vibrolux (don;t remember exactly) and it was only 15w. When I went to play with my old band it could'nt cut it against a good drummer with a 5 piece Ludwig kit, 100W Bass amp and another guitarist.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 10, 2009,
I have mixed feelings about tube amps. I find that they're not very practical for home use and the best ones are 50 watts or more. If you have one any louder, you probably wouldn't put it up anymore than 1. I haven't found a tube amp that I liked that sounded worth its price at 1. I good clean SS state amp and good multi-fx is my choice. Good are the key words. But it's pretty expensive for both. But I find that the control over your tone is irreplaceable. You can sound good at any volume depending on how you tweak everything. Plus you have the ability to use headphones when you don't want to wake anyone up and you can go straight to a PA when playing live so you don't need to carry your amp if your lazy.
yes it is worth it, to an extent

It relies HUGELY on the amp you get

For example, you aren't going to get high gain tones out of a Marshall Plexi/Vintage Modern/DSL at bedroom volumes unless you use an attenuator.

but my Marshall 2203KK 100 watt sounds great at low volumes and I can still get a great high gain tone. Soo much better than my old Crate SS at the same level of volume.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by Khoifish321
yes it is worth it, to an extent

It relies HUGELY on the amp you get

definitely
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A Blackheart Killer Ant and some pedals will do
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Pr0gNut
Tube amp + power attenuator = problem solved

A heavily bled amp may lose some of it's tone,but attenuators are definitely great tools to keep tube amp volumes in check while still being able to push the tubes.

This. For sure.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
If you are sure you will not be needing it to play with other people, then a Blackheart or even Fender Blues Junior would sound real nice at bedroom levels. A 50w - 100w Marshall sounds really nice loud, but pretty muddy at low volumes. I s'pose you could get an attenuator, but for the several hundred dollars a decent attenuator costs, you could buy a great little tube amp. And the attenuator still sucks some tone.
You could try a modeling amp too, I have a Fender Super Champ XD for home use, and it sounds great at low levels, has a ton of good sounds and a few great ones, is loud enough to play with a band, has a few tasty built in effects, and costs under 300 bucks. Cheaper than an attenuator too.

Of course the little fender doesn't sound as good as my Marshall 1987 at high volumes, but few things do to my ears. And the Marshall 50w is freaking loud. I literally had the thing under one for home use and even with my band I rarely get it above 3. I'd say check out some little tube amps. The Super Champ XD has a tube power circuit driven by a transistor preamp and digital modeling. The Blackheart and Blues Junior are full tube amps.
I agree with chet, get a small modeling amp, for example the Fender Super Champ XD or a Peavey Vypyr series or a Vox VT series. All sound very good, and if you want, the Vypyr comes in 60 and 120 watt tube versions (power amp only). Though, that wouldn't REALLY solve the problem.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Feb 10, 2009,
Sure you would need a quieter amp for your bedroom, but quite honestly do you need a bigger, better amp if you're just mucking around in your bedroom?

I have two amps, and I use neither in my bedroom - it's just too loud for my housemates. I practice through a Pod into some monitors. It mayn't give the best sound ever, but it is just for the bedroom :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Why don't you look at something like an Egnater Rebel 20 (variable wattage knob, you can change the wattage between 1 and 20 watts) or a Mesa Express series 5:X (there's 5:25, 5:50, maybe 5:100?, I can't remember- basically a switch that changes the wattage from 5 watts to 25, 50 or 100 depending on the model)
Quote by Pac_man0123
Honestly saying that a peavey bandit with a zoom effect pedal will be indistinguishable from a mesa boogie tube amp is just a load of complete BS.

+1, even at bedroom volumes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's small tube amps if you fear a big one won't reach it's full potential in your bed room. I suggest you try the Z-vex Nano and a nice 1x12" cabinet.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 11, 2009,
I currently own a Fender Super Champ XD hooked up to a Fender 412 cab and I'm playing it on 2 (It starts at 1) right now and it sounds amazing IMO.

It's loud enough to fill the room with warm tube tone without getting so loud you will wake the old badalax next door if you live in a house. If you live in an apartment might be another story and it does not have headphone jack. If I want to crank it up it can get very loud and still sound very good. That's one of the most important things about this amp for me is that it sounds good at low volume and at high volume and I have not been able to find that quality in many ss amps (loud) and tube amps (low) and that really means a lot to me as far as the value I place in an amp.

I got the amp for $276 at guitar center and took off 10% more with the online coupon that you can print out for a total of $276 out the door. I got the cab on Craigslist for $125 and I think this rig has more versatility in tone and the loudness factor than many amps. So it's something to think about.

It does not have an effects loop, but it takes pedals well.

A while back I would have thought I was better off with a nice 100watt ss amp than a tiny 5 watt tube amp, but now (especially with the availability of quality hybrids) I have changed my mind. I would much rather have a 5 watt Blackheart/stack or my 15 watt SCXD or something similar because I just think it sounds better (IMO).
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Feb 12, 2009,
No it's not a waste of money if the amp has a low wattage 1w-5w or if it has a master volume pot.