Page 1 of 2
Aside from the obvious (being less versitile) what advantages would there be from getting a guitar with only a humbucker in the bridge?

I'm starting to look into the future about getting custom made guitar, and aside from all of the other specs I keep contemplating which style of pickups I want. I'm definately getting a guitar with a fixed bridge and most likely will be a EMG 81 in the bridge.

Also, what are the REAL advantages of stripping down you guitars wiring components, such as: No vol. knob & 1 tone knob? I figured it might be like your guitar to amp chain, where if you keep it as simple as possible and have less between you and your amp, the better.

Oh, and my style play is definately more heavy metal oriented

Thanks
Last edited by bdof at Feb 10, 2009,
..Looks brootalz!?!?!?!!!!

The wiring wouldnt make a difference since on a normal guitar when you are on the bridge pickup only the wires connecting to that are being used ect. So no real advantages as far as i know, looks cool though.
Last edited by marko'd at Feb 10, 2009,
^
+1

It's mainly just because the player only needs the guitar to play one genre with one sound.
There aren't really any advantages, unless u call simplicity an advantage. Just means u can only get one tone out of the guitar. Not to say that's a disadvantage overall though.
minimal increase in sustain, do to less magnetic pull on the strings
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
The reason people do this is they found there ideal tone and dont need the money costing extras
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
with metal most of the time your on the bridge pick up and your tone is at 10 anyway, so why bother with tone knobs and a neck pup. Less to go wrong xD
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
because when you have no pot in the way it's the same as having it on 11 as opposed to the maximum of 10.

also you have more wood in the body. as there's less routed out.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by bdof

I'm starting to look into the future about getting custom made guitar

Something like this?

Im starting to rebuild an old guitar body up to look like that, by that i mean i have just started sanding it
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
If you don't use the neck pickup, then it's fine.
I'd get one just for the fact it's something reminiscent of the 80s, but I still have other guitars for the neck pickup and the like.
SO if this'll be your main guitar and you can't live without a neck/middle pickup, give it a miss.
Yeah, as somebody above said it looks br00t4lz and you can pretend your Alexi Laiho.

Otherwise, if you're only looking to play metal then you probably won't use a neck pickup much so you don't need it.

Also, who the hell ever plays with the tone knob anywhere but 10?
Holdsworth has it that way and his tone is flexible and versatile. I'd suggest keeping the tone knob on it anyway.. just having it there in the circuit seems to thicken your tone. I find without it, most guitars get too bright and whiny.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
because when you have no pot in the way it's the same as having it on 11 as opposed to the maximum of 10.

also you have more wood in the body. as there's less routed out.

Second point is close to irrelevant, but the first does actually make quite a big difference. But to be honest, there are more advantages to having a second pup than to not having one.
Quote by Craigz0rz
Yeah, as somebody above said it looks br00t4lz and you can pretend your Alexi Laiho.

Otherwise, if you're only looking to play metal then you probably won't use a neck pickup much so you don't need it.

I mess with my tone knob constantly,I'd be lost without it.I honestly would be screwed if I didn't have at least an HH guitar with a volume and tone,I guess that just comes from being a genre hopper who doesn't have a ton of guitars catered to different styles .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

thanks guys, at least you've given serious answers for me :-)

To lemoninfluence, ty. That's kinda what I thought would happen.

For my specs so far I've decided on:
-25.5 inch scale
-24 frets
-A body that'll kinda represent a hybrid of a Razorback and a V.
-Having the bridge pickup approx where it normally would be on a Dean Razorback. That also makes where your hands fret a lot higher but I like it.
-The neck will be based off of the specs on my Dean CFH, so kind of a V (love it)

What's the difference between a "set thru neck" and a "set in neck"

That's all I know for sure, but I have an idea for wood types for body, neck, and fretboard.
-Body: Maybe either Mahogany or Nato (Eastern Mahogany)
-Neck: Thinking maple do to it's stregnth and density
-Fretboard: 95% it'll be Ebony. Looks so sexy, especially when it'll buffed/pollished for easy bends.

Not sure about bridge, not knowledgeable about that.
Most likely will be Grover tuners.

Whadaya think? :-)
Where exactly do you want to have the pup? Where you put it should be determined by the position of the guitar's bridge, not the body shape.
Quote by bdof
thanks guys, at least you've given serious answers for me :-)

To lemoninfluence, ty. That's kinda what I thought would happen.

For my specs so far I've decided on:
-25.5 inch scale
-24 frets
-A body that'll kinda represent a hybrid of a Razorback and a V.
-Having the bridge pickup approx where it normally would be on a Dean Razorback. That also makes where your hands fret a lot higher but I like it.
-The neck will be based off of the specs on my Dean CFH, so kind of a V (love it)

That's all I know for sure, but I have an idea for wood types for body, neck, and fretboard.
-Body: Maybe either Mahogany or Nato (Eastern Mahogany)
-Neck: Thinking maple do to it's stregnth and density
-Fretboard: 95% it'll be Ebony. Looks so sexy, especially when it'll buffed/pollished for easy bends.

Not sure about bridge, not knowledgeable about that.
Most likely will be Grover tuners.

Whadaya think? :-)

Kinda sounds like you just described the razorback V model to me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by TheQuailman
Where exactly do you want to have the pup? Where you put it should be determined by the position of the guitar's bridge, not the body shape.

Actually it is kinda based off of the body type. The Dean I have has so much extra wood due to the V at the bottom that it places the bridge/pickup/strum area about 6 inches further up then normal
Quote by Pr0gNut
Kinda sounds like you just described the razorback V model to me.

I really do like the Dean CFH I have a lot but I'm no a fan of Tremolo bridges as I found out and mahogany with that guitar makes it sound kinda dull. That might just be the bridge and/or the guitar having a 24.75 scale. So I'm looking for a mix of what I've come to like I guess

That reminds me, does anybody else have recomendations for body woods. Specifically for a tight punchy sound.

And by the way guys, I said that I want to KEEP the tone knob and get rid of the Volume knob
Quote by bdof
Actually it is kinda based off of the body type. The Dean I have has so much extra wood due to the V at the bottom that it places the bridge/pickup/strum area about 6 inches further up then normal

Well yeah, I figured that out myself. I was just thinking that you might end up putting the pup too far away from the bridge and and too close to the neck, which would make the tone a little more mellow than you'd want from a metal guitar.
Quote by TheQuailman
Well yeah, I figured that out myself. I was just thinking that you might end up putting the pup too far away from the bridge and and too close to the neck, which would make the tone a little more mellow than you'd want from a metal guitar.

Yeah, most people don't realize how much it changes until you strap one on. My friends see it then say,"wow, that's cool" then they try it out and are like WTF. Sorry if I generalized you.
Quote by bdof
Yeah, most people don't realize how much it changes until you strap one on. My friends see it then say,"wow, that's cool" then they try it out and are like WTF. Sorry if I generalized you.

what the hell is HE talking about?!?!?!?!!

That's getting sigged, btw.
Quote by bdof
That reminds me, does anybody else have recomendations for body woods. Specifically for a tight punchy sound.

Alder
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]'] what the hell is HE talking about?!?!?!?!!

That's getting sigged, btw.
Ahh come on.....it was just a semi bi-curious comment.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE PEOPLE, MOVE ALONG
Quote by Killedelphia19
Alder

What brand of guitars uses it?
Quote by bdof
What brand of guitars uses it?

alotta jacksons, fenders, i believe some ESP's and LTD's...
Fender, Jackson, Ibanez (on the JEMs at least) Charvel, and Kramer (I believe) would be the brands that use it as there main wood (well except Ibanez)
But other brands use it in some of their models.

Also, at "who plays with their tone knob anywhere but 10?"
Me. In some cases I find it more helpful than an amp EQ, but that's mainly when I can't get the EQ to sound right on dodgy amps.
It's also great to get a vague wah sound.
Quote by Killedelphia19
alotta jacksons, fenders, i believe some ESP's and LTD's...

Mmmm, jacksons. Ok, thx
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Semi-bi? As in half-bisexual? What new manner of ***gotry is this?
Ahhh man, get me nuts
Quote by bdof
Ahhh man, get me nuts

What the hell is he supposed to do with your nuts? This is getting more and more obvious, did you make this thread to discuss guitars or to come out of the closet?
There's nothing wrong with that. However if you use your neck pickup for solos (Like me : D) then it might not be a good idea. Its your call though.
Quote by TheQuailman
What the hell is he supposed to do with your nuts? This is getting more and more obvious, did you make this thread to discuss guitars or to come out of the closet?

Meant to say "Get OFF me nuts"
Quote by Craigz0rz

You guys got irony'd
Page 1 of 2