Poll: What should the government do with users that are caught with drugs?
Poll Options
View poll results: What should the government do with users that are caught with drugs?
Give them jail time
11 9%
Make them go to rehab
59 47%
Don't charge them with anything unless the drug abuse hurts other people
56 44%
Voters: 126.
Page 1 of 2
Should drug users that are caught be sentenced to jail or be given mandatory rehab? Or should they not even be charged with anything, as long as they didn't harm anyone except themselves?

Personally, I think it's counterproductive in sending nonviolent drug users into jail, when all they need to do is get them off the drugs. Also, sending them into jail might make them into more of a criminal because of the environment they were in.

Also, this wouldn't really go to the drug thread since I'm talking about the actual drug itself, I'm talking about how the government would enforce drug laws.

EDIT: I should rephrase the poll options, on option one give them jail time regardless whether the drug addiction caused any harm to others or not. And same goes for option two.

I for one is for legalizing all drugs so we wouldn't have dealers on the streets but that might seem to radical to some people.
Last edited by lpmarshall at Feb 10, 2009,
Rehab, but not one of those hollywood rehabs that's about as efficient as windpowered cars. If that doesn't work: jail I guess.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by creeping.death!
I take it you mean drug addicts. Big difference there.
If so, rehab.

Well, the government would always assume that you are an addict as long as you were caught with an illegal substance unless you can prove otherwise
Death
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
if they're violent drug users, make them presidents of some country. I bet they will manage to kill far fewer than an average non-drug using president.
Quote by dannyisokay
No penalty for marijuana.

Rehab for addicts.

Jail for assholes.

How it should be...
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Rehab or Jail for drug abusers?

Fixed
The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish.
If they're willing to get clean, then rehab. Otherwise, leave them alone.

Dealers are another thing, send those bastards to jail.
If there's no evidence they've committed a crime that harms someone else, then they shouldn't be sent to jail. The same goes for if there's no evidence that they're selling drugs, I think dealers should get prison time though. If they appear to be addicted then yes, they should get sent to rehab though.

Dedit: Marijuana should be legal though, its ridiculous it being as criminalised as it is based on the harm it does, especially compared to alcohol.
Last edited by all hail the d at Feb 10, 2009,
Not all drug users are addicts, which is why I think it is completely unfair we send them to Jail or rehab. Rehab should be given to people who actually need to quit.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
What harm is anyone doing to society when they are consuming coke / heroin / whatever alone at their place ?

Why should these people go to jail or even be forced to go to rehab ?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Of course, It's so simple! Fun, too.

Having fun is important, people always tell me, when I'm walking around frowning and staring all the time!
jail doesn't really benefit anyone, except those that run prisons (if they are privatised as in the US) rehab would surely be cheaper than jail as well? since you wouldn't be providing utilities or food for them

rehab is the only logical one

also no penalty for marijuana
what do you do when someone is caught with drugs that aren't addictive?

like LSD, THC, DMT, Mushrooms, mdma?
death
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
I don't think any of those options are really suitable, as drug use inevitably fosters crime, as the smaller users engage in petty crime to fund their habit which funds their dealers who support the big dealers who are in turn involved with more serious crimes. Legalising the drug industry would at a stroke remove a large amount of crime, as the majority of crime is drug-related.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
RED MILITIA FACTION
I think jail has to be part of it if you are going to keep it illegal, the laws are the laws and unless people actually get out there and try to change that, the punishments are what they are. I said rehab, but the problem with that is in order to break an addiction one has to hit rock bottom first. Forcing people into rehab only leads to relapses. The only way for an addict to stop using is when they want to. That is why some use until they die. There is a moment for every addict who gets clean where they look at them selves and decide they want to change, this is the only way an addict successfully gets and stays sober. I still think they should go to rehab just to experience it and realize there are other options out there. I think rehab while serving a jail sentence is a good idea. For harder drug users a mandatory detox program should be the first step after getting caught.

EDIT: To the post below me: Addicts still need to be in possession of the drugs. Which is a crime, and depending on the amount, it could bring felony charges.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Feb 10, 2009,
people who use drugs are not criminals.
people who steal to pay for drugs are.
and as for people who SELL drugs, well that's a different story, but I don't think they should go directly to jail; also, I think the kind and amount of drug makes a difference, too.

if someone is peddling weed from their own garden, take away the plants and slap a 100$ fine on his ass. if someone is selling weed in big fasion, close them down and see who the important people are, send them to jail for a year or two.

heroin, cocain, different story.

but drug users and drug addicts are not criminal just because they do drugs.

Quote by Trickycindy
I don't think any of those options are really suitable, as drug use inevitably fosters crime, as the smaller users engage in petty crime to fund their habit which funds their dealers who support the big dealers who are in turn involved with more serious crimes. Legalising the drug industry would at a stroke remove a large amount of crime, as the majority of crime is drug-related.

also, this.

alcohol is a legal drug and leads to more crime and death than crack, coke and heroin combined each year, so why isn't alcohol illegal? cigarettes, a worse drug than weed, FACT. people do not smoke 34 joints in one day. there are people who smoke 34 cigarettes a day, however, and the inevitable sicknesses are very harmful to society.
Now I'm a smoker and a drinker myself, but if weed were legal I'd probably never get drunk again.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 10, 2009,
Depends on the drug user, depends on what drug they're taking, etc.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
If I ever got addicted to H or something very addictive, I would probably lock myself in a motel room with enough food and water for a month or two, and not come out of there for the period of that time. It beats going to a rehab center for two weeks that doesn't do ****.
Of course the pass the time I would bring a ****load of other drugs haha like acid, shrooms, weed.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
In terms of being in court, I think the only suitable would be a fine for possession and then jail time for dealers ( certain dealers, like drug lords, meth labs and people who sell crack ). For psychedelic and rave users ( weed, acid, shrooms, MDMA, DMT, LSA, 2cp, etc... ) rehab is very useless, as there are very minor withdrawals to most of these drugs, and no addictiveness. Rehab is suitable for people "addicted' to certain drugs in today's society but personally as long as the drug doesn't affect others than the user himself, then nothing should be done, the bastard does what he wants with himself and his body, the government isn't going to change anything about his personality...
Quote by illuminatiano
If I ever got addicted to H or something very addictive, I would probably lock myself in a motel room with enough food and water for a month or two, and not come out of there for the period of that time. It beats going to a rehab center for two weeks that doesn't do ****.
Of course the pass the time I would bring a ****load of other drugs haha like acid, shrooms, weed.

Yes! why doesnt everyone think of that?
Quote by dannyisokay
No penalty for marijuana.

Rehab for addicts.

Jail for assholes.

I love you.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by Greenie_777
Yes! why doesnt everyone think of that?

do you think four was necessary ? I think 5 or 6 would bring out what you mean more :
Neither. Why should they have to face any punishment. They hurt no-one, in many cases they don't even hurt themselves.
Michael Phelps is the most successful athlete on the planet and he does pot.
Obama is the most powerful man on the planet and he did Cocaine and Cannabis.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Rehab is they are addicted, Jail if they are doing it out of recreational use

fuck recreational use then, I'm gettin hooked.
Quote by The_Clansman_
Both.

I think you should be punished for illegal activity and they should try to make you a functional member in society

You better be trolling.
Quote by illuminatiano
You better be trolling.

Tis my opinion. as I see it most people I know that are drug users are theives and really horrible people, I know that doesn't make everyone a thief or bad person but that's how I believe it should be.
Quote by The_Clansman_
Tis my opinion. as I see it most people I know that are drug users are theives and really horrible people, I know that doesn't make everyone a thief or bad person but that's how I believe it should be.

You are totally right. All the shamans and religious leaders of many religions are in fact all thieves and horrible people ! DMT and Shrooms are bad !
Quote by The_Clansman_

holy crap you're right! I smoke weed and all of a sudden I've developed a severe case of kleptomania!

OMGZ to the Rehab Mobile!

*dididididi, spinout head*
Quote by The_Clansman_

42% of Americans have done cannabis
Including your president and your greatest Olympic athlete of all time.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 2