So, I've got my Laney VC50 and Ibanez RG550EX. Good combo so far, I'm liking the VC50 (just got it recently) and the RG is fine.

However, I've got a few problems with the tone I'm getting. I feel it doesn't have a tight enough low end for riffing which makes me rather depressed. I've turned it up really loud and while it sounds MUCH better, the low end is still quite loose and my tone just turns all mushy.

How do I go about fixing this? My thoughts were either getting a Tubescreamer of sorts (Maxon, Ibanez with Keeley mods, or Build Your Own Clone TS which my music teacher seems pretty fond of), or getting some Bare Knuckle Pickups for my RG or replacing the speakers. (Currently they are stock HH speakers).

The Tubescreamer idea seems most appealing but I've never dealt with much pedals before in my guitaring life. I've had discussions with some guy in a shop but as we all know, shop staff are evil and liars.

The Bareknuckle idea seems pretty cool bar the high cost and I may sell this RG on to fund a 7 stringer in the future.

EDIT: Another thing I just forget about is the EQ. The EQ on the VC50 is really hard to get used to as well, anyone got any tips on using it?
Last edited by Mwoit at Feb 10, 2009,
i would say..... tubescreamer/badmonkey
or speakers
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
I usually get her to tighten up her low end by punching her in the kidneys.
Is the Laney VC50 a closed back or open back? That plays a major role. Next in line would be a good OD pedal which you have mentioned. Speaker selection and a few other variables can also play a role but closed back and a good OD usually more them makes up for a loose lowend.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Is the Laney VC50 a closed back or open back? That plays a major role. Next in line would be a good OD pedal which you have mentioned. Speaker selection and a few other variables can also play a role but closed back and a good OD usually more them makes up for a loose lowend.

Opened back. Good or bad?

As for OD pedals, I'm not too sure what's good or not. Any recommendations?
Any OD will do. You are not really using the pedal's overdrive voicing, just the added output the pedal gives your preamp.

I find turning down the bass and gain at louder volumes help retain a tight lowend response. Too much gain + bass = loose mush.

After doing that, play with a more aggressive picking attack too.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Apparently the Bad Monkey is the best pedal to use for adding the extra output for gain (which is what you're doing)
The TS9 has better overdrive than the bad monkey, but the bad monkey has more level, or output on tap then the TS9

So get a Bad Monkey, and you'll have another 100 still that you would've spent on the TS9
that you can spend on something else.
Not too sure what would be most beneficial after the OD though.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Van Noord
Any OD will do. You are not really using the pedal's overdrive voicing, just the added output the pedal gives your preamp.

I find turning down the bass and gain at louder volumes help retain a tight lowend response. Too much gain + bass = loose mush.

After doing that, play with a more aggressive picking attack too.

I'll look into this, thanks for the info. I might try out a homekit Tube Screamer to fix this if I'm brave enough.

Quote by Faux~Affliction
Apparently the Bad Monkey is the best pedal to use for adding the extra output for gain (which is what you're doing)
The TS9 has better overdrive than the bad monkey, but the bad monkey has more level, or output on tap then the TS9

So get a Bad Monkey, and you'll have another 100 still that you would've spent on the TS9
that you can spend on something else.
Not too sure what would be most beneficial after the OD though.

I'll also look into this as well, thanks for the advice.

To [VictorinoX], my bass is dialed really high (8 atm) but I think this may have been contributing to the problem. I'll mess around with the EQ anyways.
Quote by Mwoit
Opened back. Good or bad?

As for OD pedals, I'm not too sure what's good or not. Any recommendations?

Closed back is going to give you the best tone when it comes to a tight low end.

Od wise I like the Bad Monkey the best for tightening on a budget and for a higher budget cant go wrong with a Keeley Tube Screamer. Own both and love them.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Closed back is going to give you the best tone when it comes to a tight low end.

Od wise I like the Bad Monkey the best for tightening on a budget and for a higher budget cant go wrong with a Keeley Tube Screamer. Own both and love them.

Bad Monkey = this?

I've got some money kicking about so I might aim for a Tube Screamer instead unless the Bad Monkey is that good that it warrants a purchase.

My music teacher says you can get a decent TS cheap with BYOC (Build Your Own Clone) . Good idea or nay?
Yep.

I dunno, there honestly isn't going to be a difference between the two OD pedals for what you're going to be doing (level 10, Gain 0)
So the only benefit of buying the TS over the BM is looks, and I suppose to say that you own a tubescreamer.

Yeah, you could make a really good one,
its just a ton more trouble having to order it, and put it all together.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Yep.

I dunno, there honestly isn't going to be a difference between the two OD pedals for what you're going to be doing (level 10, Gain 0)
So the only benefit of buying the TS over the BM is looks, and I suppose to say that you own a tubescreamer.

Yeah, you could make a really good one,
its just a ton more trouble having to order it, and put it all together.

After checking out the build instructions combined with my poor soldering skills, I may give that BYOC a miss.

I might change my mind though.

So what you're saying is that the Bad Monkey will sound the same as the TS but do the same job? I might use the OD pedal as a boost pedal as well, how well does the Bad Monkey do as a gain pedal?
Quote by Mwoit
After checking out the build instructions combined with my poor soldering skills, I may give that BYOC a miss.

I might change my mind though.

So what you're saying is that the Bad Monkey will sound the same as the TS but do the same job? I might use the OD pedal as a boost pedal as well, how well does the Bad Monkey do as a gain pedal?

I don't know about them being the same. The Bad Monkey doesn't have that great of a bypass, and it doesn't have the same mid hump as a TS. You need to try them both out, because they will sound different.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Mwoit
Bad Monkey = this?

I've got some money kicking about so I might aim for a Tube Screamer instead unless the Bad Monkey is that good that it warrants a purchase.

My music teacher says you can get a decent TS cheap with BYOC (Build Your Own Clone) . Good idea or nay?

There are quite a few major differences in the two pedals...

Bad Monkey

Pro's over the Tubescreamer

Cheaper and just as realiable, doesnt color your tone as much because of the deminished mid hump, high and low tone knobs are a plus, a ton more level on tap to help with tightening and pushing preamp tubes harder, easily modded to be more trasparent

Tubescreamer pro's over the Bad monkey

Better stand alone pedal if you using it as intended by cranking the gain and throwing it on the clean channel to mimin tube saturation, better at making your tone a little fuller by adding it ontop of your existing boost say gain on pedal at 1-2 and level at like 5

That said if you looking for a pedal to tighten the bad monkey wins hands down. Its more transparent and has a ton more level on tap.
hmm, theres lots of things you could do. first get the bad monkey, in terms of bang for your buck it's better than the tubescreamer. dial out some bass and gain on the amp as said before, and in the long run look into a way of closing the back on your amp of getting a closed back cabinet.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Many thanks to everyone, I'm sorta convinced in getting a Tube Screamer and a Bad Monkey now.

Of course, I'll try it out in store and see how I like it. How should I set the EQ parameters on the pedal when I'm fixing my low end?

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
hmm, theres lots of things you could do. first get the bad monkey, in terms of bang for your buck it's better than the tubescreamer. dial out some bass and gain on the amp as said before, and in the long run look into a way of closing the back on your amp of getting a closed back cabinet.

Methods of closing the back of my amp would be...? I'm not sure how to go about this.
Try flicking on the resonance switch on the amp if you haven't already. Turning down the gain and bass also works, after that an OD is a good investment.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Mwoit
Many thanks to everyone, I'm sorta convinced in getting a Tube Screamer and a Bad Monkey now.

Of course, I'll try it out in store and see how I like it. How should I set the EQ parameters on the pedal when I'm fixing my low end?

Methods of closing the back of my amp would be...? I'm not sure how to go about this.

They work get as a duo, I have been running two for quite some time now.

As for closing the back it depends on your speaker as well. Some like open backs some like closed backs. Do the research on it or give it a test run with a piece of wood. To close the back of the cab you would have to put a board across the back covering the void the speaker is in. But beware this can cause heating issues depending on how the amp is designed. So most guys just purchase an aditional cab for the amp.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Try flicking on the resonance switch on the amp if you haven't already. Turning down the gain and bass also works, after that an OD is a good investment.

Done that now, helped a bit. I'll turn it up again to see how much this helped out, too late for it now!

I think I'll take a trip into town on Saturday to the guitar stores and see if I can find a Bad Monkey and Ibanez TS909 in stock to try. Many thanks to all who helped me out!

I'll be sure to post a NPD if anything gets purchased.
The stock speakers on the VC50 are horrible.

Look at my signature, get those or V30's installed.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I dont know if it is a tube amp, nor do i know if this will help or not but is it biased correctly?
I don't really think there's too much of a point in buying both the Bad Monkey
AND the TS.
I'd say one or the other, unless you find that they both do totally different things
better than the other.
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
there's a pretty simple tweak that can be done to the amp of you can get it to an amp tech...lower the value of one of the bypass caps early on in the preamp, should work pretty well.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by Faux~Affliction
I don't really think there's too much of a point in buying both the Bad Monkey
AND the TS.
I'd say one or the other, unless you find that they both do totally different things
better than the other.

I think you are completely missing the point and have yet to even touch the product to know what is going on.

The point has already been made that they are both suited for totally different things which is the reason having two around is a good thing. Also you can run both of them together to make it even more versatile.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Any think of dialing in the bass pretty high to help clarify it?
Actually, to tighten up your sound you LOWER your bass and raise mids and treble a tad I usually keep my bass around noon for a nice tight sound.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores