I came up with a little riff that has a spooky/scary feel to it... I was wanting to write more... but I am totally drawing a blank.

Any hints/tips/suggestions on how to give a song a more spooky/spiritual vibe? Scales? Chord progressions? Rythym patterns? Anything.

Thanks in advance
The acoustic intro in the song ''Scorched'' by Spawn of Possession is pretty scary
Well i ain't no expert. But i think you should find notes which suit your songs instead of going to scales and all. Sometimes exotic scales can also be pretty spooky if you use the right notes. Try the harmonising chords. Gives a creepy feeling.
Try throwing in some Tritones. ( aug 4ths / dim5ths. ) and lead them to the P5.

Fully diminished 7ths can have a spooky effect if used correctly.

-edit-, really most scales can be used to make "spooky" music.

I'd suggest the Harmonic Minor or Enigmatic scale.
Last edited by xOthello at Feb 10, 2009,
^^ agreed just need some knowledge on where to go from here... and scales etc are a good place to start figuring...

Harmonic 4ths (4 semitones up...is that the right word?) are giving me a good creepy vibe...
Quote by stangconv
^^ agreed just need some knowledge on where to go from here... and scales etc are a good place to start figuring...

Harmonic 4ths (4 semitones up...is that the right word?) are giving me a good creepy vibe...

No, I don't feel like thinking about it right now, but if its giving you a creepy tone, based on what I see in this post its a tritone or m3.

edit - harmonic min scale steps are,

WHWWH then skip up 3 halfsteps. then another half and you will be at your tonic pitch. but an 8ve higher.
Last edited by xOthello at Feb 10, 2009,
i heard locrian has a pretty dark sound to it
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Harmonic Minor sounds kind of like Come Out and Play to me, I'm not sure that Eastern=scary...
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Ambience, whole tone scale, diminished 5th intervals, minor 2nds, irregular metres, there just a few features which i define with "Scary" music. Some earlier piece by Buckethead encompass some great ideas.
Quote by xOthello
No, I don't feel like thinking about it right now, but if its giving you a creepy tone, based on what I see in this post its a tritone or m3.

edit - harmonic min scale steps are,

WHWWH then skip up 3 halfsteps. then another half and you will be at your tonic pitch. but an 8ve higher.

I am writing it in GP5... I then took it and tranposed it up 4 semitones.. and it gives me an eery feeling... I think I used "Harmonic 4ths" wrong... LOL