I have an Epiphone SG, G-400. The stock pickups are ok, but lackluster compared to the Seymore duncan JB/59 in my ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe. Would the JB/59 sound good in my epiphone too? Or would they just match the stock ones?
yeah. haha. i use those dimarzio strap lock systems. so i was thinking of them instead. lol. so would they be good in it?
i would imagine so
it also depends on the wood
for instance, the ESP is a mahogany body which is a darker, full bodied tone wood
not sure on the epi though

edit: the ESP also has a maple top which adds some nice bright highs.
so passive pickups must bring out the woods' advantages in tone

however if the SG is a crap wood
it might sound not as good
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Last edited by roarinflames at Feb 10, 2009,
^^
i very much agree
my bud has the willie adler sig with the jb/59 combo
sounds amazing
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
the epiphone is a double cut solid mahogany body, wit a mahogany set neck. its got the alnico vs in it right now.
By that means it'll sound pretty badass.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
ok. so how hard are they to install? my local shop will do it for $40 bucks, but could i do it myself with a soldering iron?
They're not hard, just need to follow instructions and be patient, but if you dont feel brave enough, or if you love your guitar too much definately go to the shop.
Jackson ke3
Marshall ms-4
Boss me-50
Roland cube 30
Randall rg75 g3
i have a JB and Jazz in my SG. mine's a MIK version though, so i dunno exactly how the newer chinese made ones compare tonally. but i'm not disappointing one bit with my pups. definitely better than the stock ones. my clips on my profile are done with the SG with SD pups.

installing isn't too tough if you follow a guideline like i did, but make sure you label stuff as you go on a piece of paper or something, so you have a second reference in case you get baffled. works every time for me. if it's $40, then that's not terrible, but if it's $40 per pup, then i say f*ck it and do it yourself.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
^calm down eh?

i can only count on one hand the number of people here on UG that type with 100% proper grammar/spelling everytime they post something.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
why don't you take them out of your LTD and put them into your epi to see how they sound?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^calm down eh?

i can only count on one hand the number of people here on UG that type with 100% proper grammar/spelling everytime they post something.

making grammar mistakes can be ok but writing the name of the pickups youre gonna buy is not ok for me...
Hey TS
installing duncans is really straightforward (like connect the dots)
if you have a soldering iron, try doing it yourself. a guitar tech can always pickup where you left off, (i tried to install emgs on my first guitar and gave up halfway through)

2seriously try it on your own
its good for practice
Glimsom wrote:
if you like the way they sound in your LTD, chances are you'll like em in your epiphone.. i'm willing to bet they sound fairly similar..

just curious, what kinda tunes are you playing now and what sorta amp do you have?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I have a Epi G-400

I installed SD JB/59's in her

Very pleased with the results, the pup upgrade made a world of difference. No hesitation at all recommending that combo in the G-400.
I would perhaps recommend a different combination of pickups, so you get a different sound.
Take a look on the seymour website.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
I would perhaps recommend a different combination of pickups, so you get a different sound.
Take a look on the seymour website.
Yeah, I agree. Having two mahogany bodied guitars with the same pickups is a bit redundant. Maybe look at a Duncan Distortion and a Jazz for your G-400.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION