Page 1 of 2
I use a boss metal zone right now, and i recently noticed how digitally it sounds recorded. im looking to buy a new metal pedal of some sort. any suggestions?
Any friend of beastlybassist is a friend of mine. I recommend a Metal Muff. I use mine when I need some death metal type gain that I just can't get out of my VK.

Quote by sgwielder
EHX Metal muff?

Sounds bitchin through a tube amp

I agree.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
maybe. i use a randall rx120 full stack right now tho. SS head, but its better than any marshall ive ever played!
Quote by paintballcrazy7
maybe. i use a randall rx120 full stack right now tho. SS head, but its better than any marshall ive ever played!

FULL STACK? Dang! A metal muff will sound fine through it. Gajillion times better than the metal zone.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
FULL STACK? Dang! A metal muff will sound fine through it. Gajillion times better than the metal zone.

+1 to the Metal Muff
whats the micro metal muff like? it might fit into my boss bcb-30 pedal board without much cutting of the pedal board. lol.
either the metal muff with top boost or the line 6 uber metal. but if you have more money to spend i'd recommend the Radical tonebone series
you are what you is
Quote by paintballcrazy7
whats the micro metal muff like? it might fit into my boss bcb-30 pedal board without much cutting of the pedal board. lol.

It's ok but it's missing the 3 band eq of the full version.

Quote by mergapoot
either the metal muff with top boost or the line 6 uber metal. but if you have more money to spend i'd recommend the Radical tonebone series

Get the Line 6 if you want to sound like a spider

At the higher end of things the Tonebone is great.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Feb 10, 2009,
i hate line 6. i had a spider 3 150 watt amp and it overheated and messed up internal stuff going to the speakers, then made we wait 4 months for it to come back, then they send it back all scatched up all over. so i had to get my 500 back on that. no line 6. ever. lol.
Quote by paintballcrazy7
i hate line 6. i had a spider 3 150 watt amp and it overheated and messed up internal stuff going to the speakers, then made we wait 4 months for it to come back, then they send it back all scatched up all over. so i had to get my 500 back on that. no line 6. ever. lol.

LOL it probably didn't sound very good either.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Line 6 do make good products, just not the spider series.

Lots of people use their effects.
Quote by Necrophagist777
LOL it probably didn't sound very good either.

heck naw. your choices were a digitally clean channel, a digitally wanna ba metallica sound, or a crappy wanna be hardcore channel. it had 500 presets and not one sounded that different.
Quote by paintballcrazy7
so does the eq make that big of a difference on the regular metal muff?

I think so personally, a lot more tonal options than without it.

Quote by Gwynnell
Line 6 do make good products, just not the spider series.

Lots of people use their effects.

I agree. I love the DL4 and the Vetta series are sick. I use a POD Studio interface to mic up my amp. Works great.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by paintballcrazy7
so does the eq make that big of a difference on the regular metal muff?

Yes, and the top boost is a great feature too. Its like having two different kinds of distortions in one pedal.
Quote by eyebanez333
Yes, and the top boost is a great feature too. Its like having two different kinds of distortions in one pedal.

The Micro one does have a top boost switch, just not the knob and second footswitch.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
The Micro one does have a top boost switch, just not the knob and second footswitch.

Oh shit I knew that...I just remember it being a pain in the ass to switch back and forth...well moreso that the regular one anyways. But the EQ is very important on the pedal, unless you have an EQ pedal then its not a huge deal. But if you're worried about pedalboard space its kind of a toss up.
Quote by eyebanez333
Oh shit I knew that...I just remember it being a pain in the ass to switch back and forth...well moreso that the regular one anyways. But the EQ is very important on the pedal, unless you have an EQ pedal then its not a huge deal. But if you're worried about pedalboard space its kind of a toss up.

I'd think it be smarter to get the get the full version and buy a LYT Pedalboard and onespot. It would better in the long run.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
+1 to the EHX Metal Muff.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
use the randall distortion...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by paintballcrazy7
the randall distortion isnt exactly what i need. think id be looking for a pedal if i wanted amp distortion?

pedals are just trying to sound like a good amp distortion. having a high gain like that and getting a crappy pedal simply wont sound that good
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
pedals are just trying to sound like a good amp distortion. having a high gain like that and getting a crappy pedal simply wont sound that good

You'd be surprised how good a Metal Muff can sound. It's not a High End Tube amp or VH-140C but it's not bad at all.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
you could check out the twin mayhem by seymour duncan. heard that pedal is sick.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
you could check out the twin mayhem by seymour duncan. heard that pedal is sick.

It is awesome, but I hear it is more classic voiced. Great thrash and hair metal tone. But I think he is looking for a more modern metalcore type of distortion.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by bulletrocks522
Sell your full stack and get a used 5150 combo.

+1000

Amp distortion> pedal distortion.....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by bulletrocks522
Sell your full stack and get a used 5150 combo.

Why didn't I think of that! Or an Ampeg VH-140C if you can find one.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Seriously, a fullstack crappy SS is WAAAY overkill. Sell it and get a nice tube combo. Tube Combo > SS Full-Stack with crappy pedal Look at:

New:
B-52 AT-112 - $359.99
Bugera 6260 Combo - $599.99
Bugera 333XL Combo - $699.99
Peavey VK-112 - $419.00
Celestion V30 - $119.00
MXR 10-band - $129.00
Digitech Bad Monkey - $49.99
JJ Retube Kit - $74.50
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo (not coming out until May-August) - $549.99

Used:
Mesa F-30 - $400-600
Mesa DC-2 - $300-600
Peavey 5150 Combo - $500-700

Good luck!!! If I were you, I would go used.
Last edited by bulletrocks522 at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by bulletrocks522
Seriously, a fullstack crappy SS is WAAAY overkill. Sell it and get a nice tube combo. Tube Combo > SS Full-Stack with crappy pedal Look at:

B-52 AT-112
Mesa F-30
Mesa DC-2
Peavey 5150 Combo
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Bugera 6260 Combo
Bugera 333XL Combo
Peavey VK-112 with Bad Monkey, JJ Tubes, MXR 10-Band, and Celestion V30
If you dont listen to us, then your a dumbass and dont come back complaining to us about your crappy deal. Good luck, and I hope you listen to us.

I agree, minus the unusually harsh tone of voice.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
Get the Line 6 if you want to sound like a spider

At the higher end of things the Tonebone is great.

*sighs*

Look people, the Line 6 SPIDERS are bad. Their pedals are actually quite decent. The Uber Metal is one of the better low end distortion pedals out there. The Echo Park is one of the sexiest delays I've ever played through that's digital.

And yes, the Radial Tonebone series is amazing. I'd love a Hot British.....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
*sighs*

Look people, the Line 6 SPIDERS are bad. Their pedals are actually quite decent. The Uber Metal is one of the better low end distortion pedals out there. The Echo Park is one of the sexiest delays I've ever played through that's digital.

And yes, the Radial Tonebone series is amazing. I'd love a Hot British.....

I'm not bashing line 6. I like a lot of their stuff. Especially the DL4. But I do not like the UBER METAL'S tone at all.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm not bashing line 6. I like a lot of their stuff. Especially the DL4. But I do not like the UBER METAL'S tone at all.

Ah, okay. My bad man, I thought you were bashing their products in general.

My apologies
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
lets make this clear. if you blow a tube at a show, youre f u c k e d. itll cripple the amp. harder to cripple a SS. and i hate those small a s s combo amps. no offense yall, i just prefer SS.
Quote by paintballcrazy7
lets make this clear. if you blow a tube at a show, youre f u c k e d. itll cripple the amp. harder to cripple a SS. and i hate those small a s s combo amps. no offense yall, i just prefer SS.

WELL MR. WAYNE STATIC...........

there is 1 in a 10,000 chance of a tube blowing up if you buy a GOOD tube amp ( Bugeras does not count) and if your SS amp dies out you WILL NOT be able to fix it yourself....... you need a tech and lots of money........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
WELL MR. WAYNE STATIC...........

there is 1 in a 10,000 chance of a tube blowing up if you buy a GOOD tube amp ( Bugeras does not count) and if your SS amp dies out you WILL NOT be able to fix it yourself....... you need a tech and lots of money........

yeah, but theres still that chance. and i cant afford a $1000 for a decent one either.
Youre not going to blow a tube gigging even with minimal care. you dont need 1000 dollars to get a decent tube amp...
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
Youre not going to blow a tube gigging even with minimal care. you dont need 1000 dollars to get a decent tube amp...

I agree, although if the TS is really really against getting a tube amp, he should stay on the look out for a VH-140C, great tone for his type of music and should be affordable for him.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Page 1 of 2