Hey guys,

I bought a used Palomino V32 about a month and a half ago, the guy said he had mesa boogie tubes in it, but never specified when he put them in.
Basically my tone is crap... the clean channel is fine, but when I switch to the OD channel it's just not good... I've watched youtube videos that make this thing sound amazing, and read reviews where people are praising this amp for it's overdrive, but mine is muddy, muffled and just not nice to listen to. I have an Epiphone SG Deluxe with Seymour Duncan's in it, so I just wouldn't imagine it's my guitar that has the bad tone... but maybe I'm wrong. So, would old tubes make my amp sound this bad? Is it time to get them replaced?

Thanks
Is it eq'd right?

But yeah, sounds like you need to change some tubes. And congrats man, you should join my Palo group.

I have the same amp, and you should probably switch them *the power tubes* out with JJ EL-84's.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
could be preamp tube actually, but maybe spending some money for an all new retube would benefit you greatly.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
could be preamp tube actually, but maybe spending some money for an all new retube would benefit you greatly.

Really? My overdrive sounded like crap too, and I was advised to switch out the power tubes. It helped :shrugs:

I'm not too sure. Personally, I would go for the complete re-tube, like slash said.
--

--
I figure if I'm going to change out any tubes I should change out all of them... so I guess I'll start saving.

I really have no idea if it's eq'd right. How do I eq it right?
if you have your mids scooped, then it's normally not going to sound full. it won't have any body in the tone.

Too much bass, and it'll sound kinda flabby. Too much treble, and it'll.... be an ice pick

That's all I mean.
--

--
^unless your settings are completely extreme and whacky, i doubt it's a settings problem.

if it's muddy and muffled, try increasing your mids a tad and treble too, while backing the bass of a little.

and i suggested that it COULD be preamp b/c if the clean channel sounds fine but OD doesn't maybe it's a bad preamp tube. but yea, could be power tube as well, just exploring other options really.

good luck man!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
and i suggested that it COULD be preamp b/c if the clean channel sounds fine but OD doesn't maybe it's a bad preamp tube. but yea, could be power tube as well, just exploring other options really.

good luck man!

Ah, I see what you mean in regards to the tube.

But yeah, only reason I suggested EQ'ing is because the Palo's eq is shared between the two channels. A compromise has to be made

That's honestly the only part of the amp I don't like.
--

--
Yeah, I'm not big on that either.

I usually go through a boss OS-2 to an ME-50 and then to the clean channel, so I don't use the other channel too much, but... I'm not big on my OS-2. I keep getting disappointed with it. and I'd rather use my amp to its full potential.
anyways, thanks. I'll probably just change out the tubes since I don't know when they were last changed anyways.