For those of you with experience in buying used cars, is it normal to be putting around 2500$ (Canadian) of repairs in about 6-7 months? I bought a 1999 Mazda Protege around then for about 2000$ which was alot cheaper than most 99s and it had only 97 000 km when I got it. Yes the owners before had told me they hadn't done any major repairs (just small things like oil change etc) but it would most likely need consideriing it was nearing 100 000km. Well about 7 months later now, i've changed well I won't go into detail, but major would be radiator, alternator, alt. belt, battery, timing belt, back shocks, 4 new spark plugs and the list goes on..

I'm just wondering as this is my first car, is it normal to put in the amount of repairs i've done up to now? Yes it is a reliable car, it has only broken down once because of the alternator going but other than that, everything else has been things that I guess are needed considering it just hitting 103 000 km now. So...experiences anyone? Am I putting too much into this car??

Edit:Just to clarify, everything i've done has been done at the most trusted garage in my area and they are very fair with their prices and have been very honest to me about the work they do.
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

But hey, at least you could piss round corners.
Last edited by adamk991100 at Feb 10, 2009,
Any car that old with that high mileage you can probably expect a constant stream of problems, best you can do is treat it well and service it regularly. Don't know if you have Haynes Manuals where you live or an alternative but you may want to invest in one to learn to fix things yourself and save a bit of cash.
Quote by _testament_
Go drink some fucking bleach, asshole.

Gear
Jackson RX10D - Fitted with a Bareknuckle Warpig
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
Those are things that generally will go after a time, so it's not unheard of. The timing certainly isn't good that it happened all at once. Sucks that it had to be a Mazda (or any import) though; they rake you over the coals with part costs. Perfect inspiration for learning how to fix your car yourself. Stuff like the battery, spark plugs, and belts are part of routine maintenance, really, and need to periodically be replaced. That's especially true if the battery was original.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by ChoPxSueY
Any car that old with that high mileage you can probably expect a constant stream of problems, best you can do is treat it well and service it regularly. Don't know if you have Haynes Manuals where you live or an alternative but you may want to invest in one to learn to fix things yourself and save a bit of cash.

Just to clear things up, it has ridiculously low mileage for a 1999 lol. I'm Canadian, I don't know what it is in miles, but my car has just barely 103 000 now. Most 99s, doesn't matter what car, are usually no less than 160 and go up as high as 230 000. I've yet to find any other car on the market thats selling with the amount of kms my car has right now.
Quote by demonic_fishie
Johnson's naturally have a small kink in them, but if you've got a ninety-degree bend in it you should get it checked.

100k km would be about 65k miles, give or take. A mile is about 1,600 meters, so 1.6 km.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
100k would be about 65k miles, give or take.

Alright, and I have done small things by myself like fluid changes, oil change, air filter, just small things. I guess I should start learning more!
Quote by demonic_fishie

Quote by Dirk Gently
100k km would be about 65k miles, give or take. A mile is about 1,600 meters, so 1.6 km.

Ah right so its not to bad for '99. Im in your situation aswell, got a 2000 Ford Focus with 66k miles on it. Just had the slave cylinder, clutch plates and flywheel replaced along with a wheel bearing. Had it for 2 months now and thats £400 in repairs, not sure how much that is in your dollars though. Best thing would be to look into learning how to do things yourself, join owners club's or similar websites and seek advice from expierianced members on there. If they cant help you fix a problem they should at least be able to help you on diagnosing it so if you take it to a garage you can understand more about what they're saying and stop them from taking advantage of your lack of knowledge.
Quote by _testament_

Gear
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
Quote by RooZ
ill bet troll is mechanic.

+1

i have an older car with more miles than that and i havent even come close to that much in repairs. but then i do everything myself.

94 volvo 850. ya go ahead laugh it up bastards...
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
Quote by adamk991100
Just to clear things up, it has ridiculously low mileage for a 1999 lol. I'm Canadian, I don't know what it is in miles, but my car has just barely 103 000 now. Most 99s, doesn't matter what car, are usually no less than 160 and go up as high as 230 000. I've yet to find any other car on the market thats selling with the amount of kms my car has right now.

My '78 has only got 57000 miles on it.

Most of those things just wear out though, so it's not too bad.
Still, learn to do it all yourself, it's fairly simple and you'll save a bomb on mechanic labour costs. Plus it's always more satisfying when you've fixed something yourself.

Even with skimmed knuckles and oil covered hands.

^A Volvo 740 estate has a lower drag co-efficient than a Jaguar E-type. Nothing wrong with the Swedes.
Last edited by Oli_88 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by adamk991100
For those of you with experience in buying used cars, is it normal to be putting around 2500$ (Canadian) of repairs in about 6-7 months? I bought a 1999 Mazda Protege around then for about 2000$ which was alot cheaper than most 99s and it had only 97 000 km when I got it. Yes the owners before had told me they hadn't done any major repairs (just small things like oil change etc) but it would most likely need consideriing it was nearing 100 000km. Well about 7 months later now, i've changed well I won't go into detail, but major would be radiator, alternator, alt. belt, battery, timing belt, back shocks, 4 new spark plugs and the list goes on..

I'm just wondering as this is my first car, is it normal to put in the amount of repairs i've done up to now? Yes it is a reliable car, it has only broken down once because of the alternator going but other than that, everything else has been things that I guess are needed considering it just hitting 103 000 km now. So...experiences anyone? Am I putting too much into this car??

Edit:Just to clarify, everything i've done has been done at the most trusted garage in my area and they are very fair with their prices and have been very honest to me about the work they do.

Um.. No it isn't.. Especially if it's a small Mazda Protege..
And why did you have to replace the timing belt?
It's not normal to spend that much in that short of time, imo. You want reliablity, though, my Camry's done 258000 miles (not kms) without anything but fluid and belt changes. Damn, I love that car

EDIT: I'm saying it's not normal based on what i've gone through with my car. You got it with around 60000 miles, it should've been in pretty good nick. I think you got kinda screwed over.
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Feb 10, 2009,
I sell car parts for a living.
The reason your having problems is that you are at the planned obsolesence point. Manufacturers make cars to only last so long. Usually once you pass the warranty period these things start to happen. If you are looking for a cheaper car try something with about 140,000 km up to 180,000 km you will get it probably for the same price or a little less than what you paid for this one but all of the repairs you just had to do will have already been done by the previous owner.
Most people that buy brand new cars keep them for about 5 years and start to get rid of them when a big repair comes up. The manufacturers have this in mind when they design the car.
While it is not normal for all those things to happen in such a short time it is not unheard of.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Consumables like belts, batteries, spark plugs, filters its normal - radiator I wouldn't bother to change in an old car unless it was completely trashed. Just keep filling it with rad weld or eggs until its not really functioning as a radiator anymore, then get one from a scrappy.

Problem with second hand cars is that a lot of the time people are selling them because they've decided its not worth the money to keep them on the road anymore - you are basically buying someone else's problems. And if its been someone's first car the clutch will be trashed and it will probably have been thraped. Do you have the service history?

Considering you've already spent $2000 on it, and you trust your garage, might be worth getting them to look it over and see if they think anything major is going to go in the near future - if they reckon you've already done all the big stuff then fine. If it looks like something major is likely to go then its probably not worth sinking any more money into it.
Quote by ChoPxSueY
Any car that old with that high mileage you can probably expect a constant stream of problems,

that is hardly true. i've had 2 cars that had over 100,000 miles on them and i never had any serious issues with either of them. regular maintenance is important.

since the owner sold it for that low of a price, i have a feeling they knew things were wrong with it. that is cheap for a car that age with less than 100,000 km on it.

most cars don't experience serious issues like that with only 100,000 km on them. it is possible that the owner didn't take very good care of it, and they drove it really hard. that might explain some of the problems.

of course any car could end up being bad like that, even a new one. you just never know.
Quote by daytripper75
that is hardly true. i've had 2 cars that had over 100,000 miles on them and i never had any serious issues with either of them. regular maintenance is important.

since the owner sold it for that low of a price, i have a feeling they knew things were wrong with it. that is cheap for a car that age with less than 100,000 km on it.

most cars don't experience serious issues like that with only 100,000 km on them. it is possible that the owner didn't take very good care of it, and they drove it really hard. that might explain some of the problems.

of course any car could end up being bad like that, even a new one. you just never know.

Quote by ChoPxSueY
Ah right so its not to bad for '99.

In United Kingdom, mileage is in miles!
Quote by _testament_

Gear
Ibanez SA36FM
Squire Strat
Marshall MG250DFX
Boss Metalzone

For Sale:

Kustom 10w amp
Various Daphon Pedals
Quote by Oli_88
My '78 has only got 57000 miles on it.

Most of those things just wear out though, so it's not too bad.
Still, learn to do it all yourself, it's fairly simple and you'll save a bomb on mechanic labour costs. Plus it's always more satisfying when you've fixed something yourself.

Even with skimmed knuckles and oil covered hands.

^A Volvo 740 estate has a lower drag co-efficient than a Jaguar E-type. Nothing wrong with the Swedes.

oh i love my volvo's but people who dont understand them tend to make fun of their looks from the 70's and 80's being boxy and ugly and stereotype them to the ones today which are actually very nice imo
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.