Which basic guitar techniques do you recommend that I should remind myself of?
When one sees a lion, one must get into the car.
Last edited by HD 215 at Feb 10, 2009,
alternate picking, downpicking, fingerpicking, bending, hammer-ons, pull-offs, harmonics, plus more. If you need help understanding what any of these terms mean, feel free to ask
Muting, chord changes, solid rhythm technique, fretting technique, picking, fret & pick hand co-ordination, vibrato, theory
Definitely alternate picking and fret and strumming hand coordination.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Am I the only one having trouble with this? I'm trying to play a scale I know really well and could probably play in my sleep. I'm doing this alternate picking, and trying to mute the other strings. But there's just not enough RAM in my brain to keep it all going, no matter how slow I go, and I keep forgetting either the picking or the muting.

It's like learning to drive a car - you mean I need to move both my feet, and change gear, and steer, and look forward and backward all at the same time?

Is this a normal phase to go through, or am I making really heavy weather of it? Am I missing any glaringly obvious way to make things easier?
Quote by smittenj
Am I the only one having trouble with this? I'm trying to play a scale I know really well and could probably play in my sleep. I'm doing this alternate picking, and trying to mute the other strings. But there's just not enough RAM in my brain to keep it all going, no matter how slow I go, and I keep forgetting either the picking or the muting.

It's like learning to drive a car - you mean I need to move both my feet, and change gear, and steer, and look forward and backward all at the same time?

Is this a normal phase to go through, or am I making really heavy weather of it? Am I missing any glaringly obvious way to make things easier?

I've never had this problem...
I don't really know what to say apart from the more you practice the more natural it will feel.
Quote by smittenj

Have you tried doing both parts on their own first? Ie. put the pick down and focus on getting your fretting hand/muting doing what it's supposed to do, then drop the fretting hand and focus solely on your picking. When you're happy with the progress of both work on the co-ordination. This is how I usually attack anything I'm learning to play, because, like you, putting it all together all at once and making sure everything works properly doesn't work for me, so I break it up until it makes sense.
Quote by firesprite
Have you tried doing both parts on their own first? Ie. put the pick down and focus on getting your fretting hand/muting doing what it's supposed to do, then drop the fretting hand and focus solely on your picking. When you're happy with the progress of both work on the co-ordination. This is how I usually attack anything I'm learning to play, because, like you, putting it all together all at once and making sure everything works properly doesn't work for me, so I break it up until it makes sense.

That's the obvious solution, isn't it!