Not sure if this is the right place but you guys know what you're talking about.
Well i found a picture of notes

And also something on the note circle - http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-006-NoteCircle.php

I suppose this is a good start into theory but can anyone help me progress more?
Can someone try make some sense (really basic language ) of the note circle?
By the note circle I assume you mean the circle of fifths. This is helpful for a number of reasons, but my theory isn't brilliant on why. I can advise that the notes run clockwise in fifths and anti-clockwise in fouths. Learn about intervals to understand this. The circle of fifths will help you learn how many sharps or flats a scale has in it. So starting at the very top going clockwise C has no sharps or flats, G has one sharp, D has two sharps etc. You need to learn about basic scales to begin to understand this. Start with the Major scale as the majority of scales are derived from this.

As for the diagram above, yes it is helpful to know where the notes are on the fretboard.
if you play piano.. the note circle is the same, cdefgab and so on and so forth
and as you probably know, each 1 fret is half a tone, so each 2 frets is a full tone

you might already know all that, but yeh im not great on theory

edit: which after looking at the link is pretty much exactly what the website tells you sorry
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Last edited by CoF-Dean at Feb 10, 2009,
Thanks both of you, great help.
Would it help just to memorize the placement of the notes completely? (like the diagram)
the circle of fifths is not what you should be starting with.

you should begin with intervals. i'm working on a UG article about the very basic things in theory that are rarely taught correctly... https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1064732

the second part of the article contains lots of easy-to-understand info on how theory actually works.
Well, like I said, it is helpful t know where all the notes are, but don't just spend all your time learning where they are. I mean that'll bore you to tears. Like frigginjerk said, learn about intervals. They will show you how one note sits with another and you can then begin to find shapes on the fretboard that will help you learn where notes are. The most common is probably the octave. E.g. if you are playing fret 5 on the 6th string (which is an A) you can move down to the fouth string and move up 2 frets to the 7th fret. That is an A note one octave higher. That shape will work all the way up and down the neck. There are lots of other shapes to learn about, but I think they would help you learn the notes on the neck more effectively. Anyhow, check frigginjerk's lesson and above all take it all in at your own pace.
The note circle isn't the circle of fifths lol. After you start learning notes you should definitly learn the circle of fifths/key signatures. They aren't that hard and there are several ways to make memorizing them easier. I would also try to learn intervals and scale construction.
Quote by Sammm1
...also something on the note circle - http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-006-NoteCircle.php

I suppose this is a good start into theory but can anyone help me progress more?
Can someone try make some sense (really basic language ) of the note circle?
This is not a Circle of Fifths. This is, instead, a graphic displaying the names of the notes in the chromatic scale in both directions. Knowing note names is a necessary first step on the music theory path, but it is only a first step.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
I've learnt all the notes and some other things using Freepowers EXCELLENT lessons. I recomend them and will be sending them to friends, thanks pal.