Page 1 of 2
i've been looking for some shred-ish stuff to listen to. although Vai and Satch are great and i can appreciate what they do and the skill they have, i just don't like there stuff in large doses. i find with Satch i can happily listen for about 2 mins and then it sorta becomes "okay, you gonna do something else for the rest of this album other than play 1000 miles an hour".
I quite like some Vai but again it can get boring after while.

So what shredders should i listen to that i won't find repetitive and get bored of?

thanks
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Paul Gilbert
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
Quote by LPDave
Paul Gilbert

+1
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
yngwie malmsteen and michael angelo batio?

and better than both of them Jason Becker +(Cacophony)
Quote by LPDave
Paul Gilbert

+3
I just can't picture myself as the end result of millions of years of evolution.
Quote by LPDave
Paul Gilbert

+4

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Ryg
+3

+4

try the new satch album im really enjoying it and it has almost no shred that im aware of just solid good music.
BLUE
RED
YELLOW
Quote by LPDave
Paul Gilbert

+5
Ibanez GAX-70

Roland microcube

50 watt Marshall through 4-12 avatar cabinet.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something. Cause life isn't that simple."
Jason Becker

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by LPDave
Paul Gilbert

+1000

SFBADR is full of different songs, and I listen to it every morning and never got tired of it.
Andy Timmons
I just can't picture myself as the end result of millions of years of evolution.
Quote by WARLOCK123
i find with Satch i can happily listen for about 2 mins and then it sorta becomes "okay, you gonna do something else for the rest of this album other than play 1000 miles an hour".

if that is the case I don't believe shred to be your kind of music
Quote by WARLOCK123
i've been looking for some shred-ish stuff to listen to. although Vai and Satch are great and i can appreciate what they do and the skill they have, i just don't like there stuff in large doses. i find with Satch i can happily listen for about 2 mins and then it sorta becomes "okay, you gonna do something else for the rest of this album other than play 1000 miles an hour".

So what shredders should i listen to that i won't find repetitive and get bored of?

thanks

If you find Satch to be boring because he plays fast too much I think you should probably leave it at that, most other shredders spend much more time playing much faster...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by WARLOCK123

thanks

You obviously haven't listened to much Vai or Satch, they are probably one if not he most colorful shredders. If you don't like that i don't think shred is for you.
Quote by EEE_ELLL_OHH
Buckethead my friend....

If he gets bored with Satch or Vai, i don't think he will like buckethead
He plays some nice melodies, but most of his music is just ripping alternate picking licks.

And playing unique and obscure sounds on the guitar, guitar hero has ruined his music for me.
paul gilbert- any album really. I'd suggest either united states with freddie nelson, or acoustic samurai (something like that). his solo stuff is not what you'll be expecting (apart from maybe his 2 latest completely solo albums).

bumblefoot- normal

Guthrie Govan- Erotic Cakes

I'd reccomend those if you don't really like constant widdling.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Jimi-is-god
If he gets bored with Satch or Vai, i don't think he will like buckethead
He plays some nice melodies, but most of his music is just ripping alternate picking licks.

And playing unique and obscure sounds on the guitar, guitar hero has ruined his music for me.

That's a pretty stupid statement. How can you not listen to his music after one (ONE) of his songs is used in a video game?

You are as bad as the kids who obsess over the bands who have one song in the game. Those kids go out and buy the albums, get the shirts, see them live, etc., which (excluding the obvious poser image and mentality) is overall a positive effect.

The difference is that you stop listening to their music, saying it's been ruined, and just complaining about it. You are the obsessive, non-conformist-I-don't-do-it-because-it's-cool elitist. Grow up.
Not only is Guthrie Govan one of the most tasteful virtuosos I know, his album Erotic Cakes is my favorite shred album ever, and is one of the best CDs in my collection.
marty friedman, paul gilbert, tony macalpine, guthrie govan, shawn lane, greg howe...
Top lel.
Duh... Satch is boring. He has released the same album about dozen times with different stupid song titles. Why is he even called a shredder? His chops are ridiculously bad. I'm not surprised if somebody gets bored of his guitar-bass-drums pseudo blues.
Quote by Stratwizard
Duh... Satch is boring. He has released the same album about dozen times with different stupid song titles. Why is he even called a shredder? His chops are ridiculously bad. I'm not surprised if somebody gets bored of his guitar-bass-drums pseudo blues.

whahaha
Eric Johnson, Shawn Lane, Alan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan, Steve Morse, Richie Kotzen.

You can thank me later.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by Stratwizard

as much as i envy your suhr and the fact that you live in finland...

i guess satch can get a bit boring at times, but he definetly can be considered a shredder
Top lel.
Quote by the memory

i guess satch can get a bit boring at times, but he definetly can be considered a shredder

he is defo a shredder. but i find him boring cos the song will be good but then falters. its like he has a good intro for about a minute then he goes into a solo. but then the solo carries on and on and on and on and on and on and onnnnn........ and then you get an outro. and then this is repeated for every track
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Quote by the memory

Why do envy me for living in Finland lol?
Quote by Jimi-is-god

You can't have heard very much of his music?

Colma, Electric Tears, Chicken Noodles, Chicken Noodles II, Population Override, many on In Search of The, alla three Thanatopsis albums, Acoustic Shards... etc.

All are soft music, with no or very little shred.
The majority of his stuff is experimental metal, but you can't say he does not have a big catalog of soft stuff. So many statements are made on pure ignorance.
Fender Jaguar
Morley PVO +
TC Polytune
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
Boss DS2
Blackstar HT-40
Digitech Timebender
TC Trinity

(offboard; Whammy IV, Crybaby 535Q, Digitech RP100A)
andy timmons
joe stump
vinnie moore
jason becker
marty friedman
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by Stratwizard

Oh yeah i forgot Chops > music
Quote by griffRG7321
Oh yeah i forgot Chops > music

when talking about applying the label 'shredder' to someone, it is.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.

Shred = Batio, Moore, Cooley, MacAlpine, Becker, Friedman, Stump
Instrumental rock = Satch, Vai, Howe, Saraceno, Garsed, Johnson, Beck

Based on overall output, we all know Satch can shred in minimal legato bursts... but he's not a shredder. To be a shredder, he'd have to release an entire album with non-stop fast shit (that'll be the day!!!!!!!!! )
Quote by DaFjory

Shred = Batio, Moore, Cooley, MacAlpine, Becker, Friedman, Stump
Instrumental rock = Satch, Vai, Howe, Saraceno, Garsed, Johnson, Beck

I don't really see the point in that.

Based on overall output, we all know Satch can shred in minimal legato bursts.

With this, I agree.
Page 1 of 2