You guys think its better to learn electric with a pick?
i can already play fingerstyle acoustic but when i applied it to my electric it didnt seem right:/ how many of the guitar greats play electric fingerstyle?
i play electric fingerstyle but its just personally preference.
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Well you aren't going to do heavy metal or stuff like that , tough blues , and country should be decent.
Fingerstyle is great for classical songs , not that great for fast passages on the same string tough.
yeah, it's the same string thing that i'm finding tough. I really want to be a rounded guitarist, so i suppose the only route is fingerstyle acousitc and pick electric.
For my first band, im trying to create a kind of indie, clean sound. but i think i should learn metal too. plan seems to be to master them both techniques.
I play with a pick on the electric primarily. That said I also finger-pick and hybrid-pick on the electric guitar if the song calls for it. I'd recommend learning all.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Electric guitar are designed for a pick. Smaller space between the strings and pickups that are really close to the strings leave much less space for fingerpicking. Certainly, doesn't hurt to try, I fingerpick my electric if required to, but prefer to fingerpick on a classical guitar.
^^See, when i play my acoustic, i allways fingerpick. and thats pretty much all ive been doing lately, so now im learning with a pick for electric and its going pretty well..whats this hybrid picking i hear about?
It depends on what sond you are looking for, there are a few players that play electric without using a pick, Mark Knoffler from Dire Straits comes imediatly to mind.
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)
Learn both, then you'll be able to do it all. Songs that pound the bar chords or certain solo technique require the pick, but there's lots of talent out there that finger it too.

Are you looking to do covers, or develop a style of your own... ? Answering that may help point you in the right direction as well.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
I've really got my heart set on having my own style, i know alot of metal guitarists, but it just seems limited to me, lots of similarity in the genre. i definatly want my own sound
i play guitar like technically different to other people i think, i don't really have certain techniques with my right hand if you get what i mean, i just sorta hit the string with any available piece of my finger which seems to get the job done. like when i play fingerstyle if i have to play apregios quickly ill use the front of my finger and the back of my nail. i hope you get what im saying.
I think this is why i've allways found pick users speed amazing, using just one thing to hit all those notes
Look up a guy named Adrian Legg on youtube or other. He never uses a pick, he's fast as ****e, and he developed his own technique....

Don't let the "rules" stifle ya.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
That guy was fast man, its what i like about fingerstyle, its sounds seemless and smooth, its like liquid guitar.
I'm definatly going to master both techniques, i want to make heavy sounds as well as soft smooth sounds.
Quote by SpellItWrong
^^See, when i play my acoustic, i allways fingerpick. and thats pretty much all ive been doing lately, so now im learning with a pick for electric and its going pretty well..whats this hybrid picking i hear about?

Hybrid picking is using your pick and fingers at the same time. Generally if you want your bass notes to have more "edge" you'll hit it with the pick, whilst you'll use your fingers for the higher strings.

Note that Mark Knopfler is one of my main influences, and a lot of his stuff is impossible to play on the electric guitar without using some form of finger-picking. I also really like the sound on an electric guitar when you pull the string up and let it smack the fret-board. So I'll utilise that during songs/solos if it sounds good for it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
^^^ahh right, that i spose is just another bonus of learning both, extra effects and sounds to be made, i'll be sure to test out hybrid picking. thanks mate, appreciate your help.
I'll youtube Mark Knopfler too. (Y)

*edit*
just learning picking now, im picking pretty well and i just want to say thanks for all those who helped me, made a huge difference to my playing!
plus some how its helped me finally seamlessly move form barre chords to normal chords and back in the same song, and thats a huge deal to me, so cheers to everyone.
Last edited by SpellItWrong at Feb 12, 2009,