Will someone please explain to me what MIDI is/what its used for/everything else about it?

Thank you
New track on soundcloud.com/ahlers or on my profile.
Feedback much appreciated.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Hi my name is Chen im 16 years old from Israel.
I love playing Guitar and writing if I have the time[...]

As of now I am banned because of racism against albinos
Musical Instrument Digital Interface.

It's a basic digital representation of notes.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Musical Instrument Digital Interface

It's essentially instructions for a computer to play notes
Here you go
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Wikipedia is your friend!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI

"MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface, IPA: /ˈmɪdi/) is an industry-standard protocol defined in 1982[1] that enables electronic musical instruments such as keyboard controllers, computers, and other electronic equipment to communicate, control, and synchronize with each other. MIDI allows computers, synthesizers, MIDI controllers, sound cards, samplers and drum machines to control one another, and to exchange system data (acting as a raw data encapsulation method for sysex commands)."
I know it stands for something, but I'm not sure what. It is for digital instruments (d is digital in MIDI, I think M is musical, and one of the I's is instruments) to play and use notes. You may be familiar with a program called Powertab. Ever wondered what makes the sound? It is made with MIDI, and when you record a synth or such, it is saved on whatever, as MIDI, since that is a digital instrument. Other people can tell you more, but's that waht I know pretty good, if that's even right.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
the best guide you will ever find on MIDI

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html

I started really using MIDI only a short while ago and wished I learned and used it earlier on. It's so useful when working with e-drums or running software synths.

Basically, MIDI is data used to control software and/or hardware. I run MIDI from my drums to my computer and trigger Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 to get great and more sounds out of my kit. When I pair my keyboard with my desktop using MIDI, I can call up any virtual software synth and play that with the keyboard.

With Sonar, you don't have to bump tracks to get MIDI into audio, simply export the song at the end and any virtual synths on the rack will be automatically exported as audio....(a great tip I learned a few months ago).

If that above guide seems confusing, read it a few times over a few days. MIDI can be confusing at first and that's how I saw it for a while but now I look at it as a very useful and easy to use tool.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 10, 2009,