So, as I'm really getting into the blues, I want a slide. I had one but I lost it. sooo I'm looking at a new one. I don't really know the difference between glass, brass and steel, so if anyone has a descrition of the charecteristics, that'd be great.

I'd say I'm looking to spend about 10-15 bucks on it. Mostly older blues on it, not so much white stripes sort of stuff
Thanks
Basically, steel will give you a brighter sound. Early blues guitarist used glass bottles (or pocketknives, whatever was on hand, no pun intended). It really depends on how you want your tone to be shaped.

I would go glass/pyrex.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I use glass but goolz once told me that the ceramic would be a darker sound.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a glass slide but Goolz told me to get a brass one.

He told me that too. In fact, he's never told me not to buy something...
Usually that is followed by ... And send it to me!
Quote by gregs1020
I use glass but goolz once told me that the ceramic would be a darker sound.

It does, but then again, it also depends on what guitar.

Are you using it with your Les Paul? And I assume the action is fairly low and you use 10's?

So, if that be the case, get either steel or glass. Probably a thin walled glass slide would be best.

I like the Dunlop Blues Bottle for a lot of things, including acoustic, but my favorite glass slide is the Dunlop 212 short, thick walled glass slide.

Basically, as far as slide descriptions go, it's like this:

Glass: Kinda neutral, and warm. Very smooth. Good for bright electric guitars, dark electric guitars, acoustics, and wood resonators.

Brass: Dark, warm. Very abrasive and raspy with use. Good for acoustic and brighter guitars, and resonators.

Steel: Very bright, kinda cold. Very smooth (smoother than glass, IMO). Good for darker electric guitars, especially ones with humbuckers. Not good with Strats, and can be used to some effect on Telecasters for certain things (like Country or Muddy Waters ). Good for lapsteel, not good for acoustic.

Ceramic: Kinda a cross between glass and brass. It's denser than Glass, but not as smooth, and it's not as dark as brass. Kinda raspy, depending on what you get. Not recommended for electric (kinda cumbersome).

Quote by forsaknazrael
I used to make bottleneck slides. I might still have one lying around, or I can make you a new one.

I told you to sell me one
Quote by gregs1020
He told me that too. In fact, he's never told me not to buy something...
Usually that is followed by ... And send it to me!

I'm still waiting

thanks for the knobs, by the way

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have a glass slide but Goolz told me to get a brass one.

I think I told you to get one of each
Last edited by imgooley at Feb 10, 2009,
I've got a glass one that I like, I can't remember which brand or how much I pay for it, it was less than $10 I think. I've been happy with it so I'd say get a glass one.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by imgooley
It does, but then again, it also depends on what guitar.

Are you using it with your Les Paul? And I assume the action is fairly low and you use 10's?

So, if that be the case, get either steel or glass. Probably a thin walled glass slide would be best.

I like the Dunlop Blues Bottle for a lot of things, including acoustic, but my favorite glass slide is the Dunlop 212 short, thick walled glass slide.

Basically, as far as slide descriptions go, it's like this:

Glass: Kinda neutral, and warm. Very smooth. Good for bright electric guitars, dark electric guitars, acoustics, and wood resonators.

Brass: Dark, warm. Very abrasive and raspy with use. Good for acoustic and brighter guitars, and resonators.

Steel: Very bright, kinda cold. Very smooth (smoother than glass, IMO). Good for darker electric guitars, especially ones with humbuckers. Not good with Strats, and can be used to some effect on Telecasters for certain things (like Country or Muddy Waters ). Good for lapsteel, not good for acoustic.

Ceramic: Kinda a cross between glass and brass. It's denser than Glass, but not as smooth, and it's not as dark as brass. Kinda raspy, depending on what you get. Not recommended for electric (kinda cumbersome).

Hmm, so it sounds like Glass or steel would be what I'm looking for. And yes, the Paul with low action and 10s. I'm going toraise the action whe n I buy the slide though.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-Glass-Guitar-Slide-100217439-i1130395.gc
One review says this one os fairly thin so I'm considering it.

Quote by forsaknazrael
I used to make bottleneck slides. I might still have one lying around, or I can make you a new one.

That would be great. How much would you want?
Quote by imgooley

thanks for the knobs, by the way

Yer welcome, pikturez?
sorry to go off topic here... but i jsut bought my first slide.

Where do i start? any easy slide songs? any tutorials on how to actually play slide? haha. sorry im a noob
Quote by NtaPtikab
sorry to go off topic here... but i jsut bought my first slide.

Where do i start? any easy slide songs? any tutorials on how to actually play slide? haha. sorry im a noob

The best tutorial is to listen to the music.

But I also suggest you try to find a torrent or a copy of Hotlicks with Warren Haynes: Acoustic Slide Guitar and Improvisation, and Warren Haynes: Electric Blues Guitar and Slide Guitar.

Also, for a listening list, here are some great slide albums:

Johnny Shines- Ramblin Blues
Mississippi Fred McDowell- I Don't Play No Rock and Roll
Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers- Genuine House Rocking Music
Charley Patton- Father of the Blues
Son House- Delta Blues and Spirituals
Ryan Bingham and the Dead Horses- Mescalito
I just ordered one from http://bloozebottle.com/
6 bucks, including shipping, hard to argue with that.

I was going to get one from forsaknazrael, but that died.

Oh yeah, I know for a fact that both of those warren haynes vids can be found on demonoid, if you're so inclined to go that route
Last edited by pak1351 at Feb 10, 2009,
Well, I got a slide. It's so much fun. My dad had an extra. A thin glass one that's a little too big, so I'm also gonna get one from Jon. I'll post clips of my shoddy slide playing tomorrow
Work on muting, felix.
Finger pick.

Do it.

Put your thumb over the bottom three strings.
Not bad at all for a first time shot Felix, kudos you talented s.o.b.!
I've always used glass or steel
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era