Hey folks,

I've had my Yamaha Pacifica 112 for about 5 or 6 years now and I've played the ba-jesus out of it. I know that lately I've used Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's (.10-.46), and may have used something slightly lighter at some point in the past, but I can't really remember.

I just picked up some Power Slinky's today (.11-.48) to see if it really gives better tone, and also just to change things up a little. However, I read some stories about people breaking nuts by going to heavier gages or having problems with their Tremlos.

What sort of things should I watch out for when I put the new strings on? What adjustments might I need to make? I know these are basic questions, but I've never really messed with my guitar's set up much and figured that there might be some things I don't know about.

FYIW, I play lots of punk/punk rock/rock in standard tuning.

Thanks!
The neck relief, and intonation. Put them on, and just play it for a week or something. Then check your neck and intonation, and adjust them if needed.
WTLTL 2011
going up 1 string guage probably isn't gonna do anything. I wouldn't recommend 11's for standard tuning tho. The only problems you might have are you'd have to readjust the neck and bridge. but again if you're playing in standard just stick with 9's or 10's, to thick of a string and you won't be able to get it up to E standard

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Watch out for goblins. Also your guitar may blow up. Dude, nothing is going to happen going up 1 string gauge.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by Mark G
The neck relief, and intonation. Put them on, and just play it for a week or something. Then check your neck and intonation, and adjust them if needed.

Thanks. Like I said, I've played for a while but never really gotten into my guitar's set-up. What exactly do you mean by neck relief and intonation.

Quote by SPBY
going up 1 string guage probably isn't gonna do anything. I wouldn't recommend 11's for standard tuning tho. The only problems you might have are you'd have to readjust the neck and bridge. but again if you're playing in standard just stick with 9's or 10's, to thick of a string and you won't be able to get it up to E standard

Thanks.

Quote by random_B-RAD
Watch out for goblins. Also your guitar may blow up. Dude, nothing is going to happen going up 1 string gauge.

Thanks... kinda. Funny, but not really helpful...
Last edited by malibu43 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by SPBY

I've got a gauge .52 low E and I can tune it to E just fine.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by SPBY

Wtf are you talking about?

11s are just fine for standard tuning, in fact they're COMMON for standard tuning.
It might screw up your intonation a bit, otherwise I think it should be fine.
Quote by JilaX^
Wtf are you talking about?

11s are just fine for standard tuning, in fact they're COMMON for standard tuning.
It might screw up your intonation a bit, otherwise I think it should be fine.

Agreed, if stevie could get .013s to Eb then .011s to E is nothing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not