I'm a huge Blink 182 fan and I play a lot of Blink and other pop punk and punk music. I've never played the Tom Delonge Signature the Epiphone Semi Hollow not the strat and I am looking at possiblely buying it. I will most likely play it this weekend when I go to guitar center but I was wondering if its even worth buying. Is it right for the music I want to play and do you think its worth buying. What does everyone think?
what one??
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
You've made like 3 threads on the topic of the TD sig.

I'm sure it's a "great" guitar, but for the money you might be able to better. I would get an HSS Strat or something. How much is this signature guitar you speak of...?
I'd recommend saving up for the Gibson if you can. As soon as I find one it's mine.
Quote by stevenpollock
If the Tom Delonge is like other Epiphone thinlines, it'll have the lauan center block as opposed to the maple block used in the Gibson. This will make a world of difference to the tone. Also the Gibson will have a 'real' mahogany neck, while the Epi will have a neck made of Philippine mystery mahogany (this is a BIG deal) ... apart from that, the plywood used in the Gibson will probably be of a better grade as will the rosewood used for the fingerboard. But they both have the same pickup...

I have a friend who has an Epiphone Dot with the "same specs" as my Gibson 335 and plays decent it definitly sounds good. But it sounds different.I definitely prefer my Gibson.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

I'm sure it's a "great" guitar, but for the money you might be able to better. I would get an HSS Strat or something. How much is this signature guitar you speak of...?

What is "better (for someone)" is on an artist-to-artist basis
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Last edited by stevenpollock at Feb 10, 2009,
$400 and I havent got answer about the TD thing. I had other threads about other guitar but also the TD
The Gibson is not worth whatever ungodly amount of money it goes for.

The Epiphone isn't even worth $500.

There is an Epiphone Dot Studio at a local shop for $200. Get something like that or a Washburn Dot copy and at least have something that is more than a one trick pony
Quote by eurotrashed
The Gibson is not worth whatever ungodly amount of money it goes for.

The Epiphone isn't even worth $500.

There is an Epiphone Dot Studio at a local shop for $200. Get something like that or a Washburn Dot copy and at least have something that is more than a one trick pony

I don't understand why people try to deter people away from guitars they want because it doesn't suite their needs, when they're not the person playing it.

And for me, the Gibson's worth it. I have a library of guitars, and I would gladly pay $2000 for this particular guitar. It's rad. I would only need it for 'One trick' because I have guitars for other purposes. TS could be the same.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Last edited by stevenpollock at Feb 10, 2009,
If you wanna play Blink, then its great. After all, It is Tom's signature guitar right? The downside is if you eventually move on to other genres of music, It won't play well as it has only one pickup and is not suited for anything other than Alternative or Punk.
Quote by GatesIsGod
If you wanna play Blink, then its great. After all, It is Tom's signature guitar right? The downside is if you eventually move on to other genres of music, It won't play well as it has only one pickup and is not suited for anything other than Alternative or Punk.

True, but his profile says he has an epi les paul too
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
ya this guitar would be strictly for punk and alternative. i would use my les paul for everything in between and I also plan on purchaseing a fender hss strat after I get this. SO ya I would just use it for punk and alternative
It is pointless because it is a stripped down es-335 for more than what a regular es-335 costs. You can easily buy an es-335 for cheaper, mod it, get the "Tom DeLonge" sound (which this forum has argued adamantly in the past that tone is not a factor in playing punk based music) and also be able to have added versatility. $2000 is a lot of money for a guitar that would collect dust most of the time, unless all you do is Blink 182 covers...

I see nothing wrong with imitating people's sounds though. My Telecaster is being built up as a similar guitar as Rivers Cuomo's old strats. But I am making it mine, and tweaking it a bit so its a bit more than a poser guitar.
Quote by eurotrashed
It is pointless because it is a stripped down es-335 for more than what a regular es-335 costs. You can easily buy an es-335 for cheaper, mod it, get the "Tom DeLonge" sound (which this forum has argued adamantly in the past that tone is not a factor in playing punk based music) and also be able to have added versatility. $2000 is a lot of money for a guitar that would collect dust most of the time, unless all you do is Blink 182 covers...

I see nothing wrong with imitating people's sounds though. My Telecaster is being built up as a similar guitar as Rivers Cuomo's old strats. But I am making it mine, and tweaking it a bit so its a bit more than a poser guitar.

dude it's not $2000. its $500 and I have an epi les paul for all my other sounds. All i want to know is is this guitar good for punk and for the money
Last edited by famous1234 at Feb 10, 2009,
The $2000 statement was in reference to Stevenpollock's comment on how he would have no problem dropping $2000 on the Gibson.

You want a guitar good for punk for a good price? Find a guitar you like at a price you like. Done deal. Punk can be played with anything.

If you want a TD type setup, you sure as hell can do better for the price
Quote by eurotrashed

My 335 was a little over $2900 after tax (Utah does have rediculous taxes.) I believe a new TD is $3100 new, but you can't really find them new in the U.S. anyway. Used I've found are about $2000 unless you buy from the U.K which people are selling them for 1200-1500 pounds, which I belive is around $2000-$2300. This is actually a 333, it has an opening in the back like most solid bodies to make it easy to modify pots, wiring, pickups etc. The 335 does not, making it such a pain in the ass. The Dirty Fingers Pickup is actually good for any top of rock to metal.

And as for "this forum has argued adamantly in the past that tone is not a factor in playing punk based music" I find that absolutely untrue. There is good tone and bad tone in every genre of music.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
So you are comparing new ES-335 prices to used TD prices. You can get a used ES-335 for $1500-$1800. I think someone on another forum just got an ES-335 on clearance at GC for $1800 new...

So what if the TD is easier to mod? If you are going to mod it, what is the point of getting that guitar to begin with? Since it would be cheaper to get a regular ES-335 and mod it to your liking.
I want to get the epiphone model of it for 1. also, i'm not going to mod it. its gonna pretty much be factory. i'm gonna mod my les paul and a strat when I buy one. so I would spend $500 not $2000 or anything close to that. Modding an ES-335 is also not what I want to do
If all your going to do with it is play punk and alternative and you like the way it looks, feels, and sounds then get it. If your going to guitar center to try it out though at least play other guitars within your price range. Who knows you might find something even better.
H e l l o .
Quote by eurotrashed
So you are comparing new ES-335 prices to used TD prices. You can get a used ES-335 for $1500-$1800. I think someone on another forum just got an ES-335 on clearance at GC for $1800 new...

So what if the TD is easier to mod? If you are going to mod it, what is the point of getting that guitar to begin with? Since it would be cheaper to get a regular ES-335 and mod it to your liking.

I forgot to note NEW from the UK is the "$1800-$2300" new. And not just for modding. But if anything needs to be fixed such as wiring or cleaning pots. I don't know if you've seen the paint job on this, but thats half the price. It's just rad.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

Quote by neverspoiled
=)
Why not just do what real punk players do? Buy a crappy ass guitar and go with it.
Quote by ToalNOOB
Why not just do what real punk players do? Buy a crappy ass guitar and go with it.

This.

blink 182 arent punk... they are pop 'punk', they just act rebellious and kiss the asses of record executives and make heaps of dosh. buy a no name guitar for 50 bucks and play that if you want to be punk...
Quote by ToalNOOB

Most punk guitarists play MiA Strats, Tele's or Gibson Les Pauls. They are just as concerned about tone as anyone else. Just because they don't play minor scale solo's with vibrato doesn't mean they don't care about tone.

I get tired of people ripping on punk because of its simplistic nature. I defy these people to write anything better than The Clash.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Most punk guitarists play MiA Strats, Tele's or Gibson Les Pauls. They are just as concerned about tone as anyone else. Just because they don't play minor scale solo's with vibrato doesn't mean they don't care about tone.

I get tired of people ripping on punk because of its simplistic nature. I defy these people to write anything better than The Clash.

dude this exactly my point of view on tone in punk. i want good tone. I dont like ****ty tone and loud ****. I love punk and not just blink which is more pop punk but i want as good a tone as everyone else
Quote by ToalNOOB

Maybe that's because when Punk started they didn't have the money to buy higher end stuff. Buying "crap" just to be cool is stupid. Music comes from the player, not the guitar.
Quote by famous1234
dude this exactly my point of view on tone in punk. i want good tone. I dont like ****ty tone and loud ****. I love punk and not just blink which is more pop punk but i want as good a tone as everyone else

lol sorry bout all these bad answers mate but
i do happen to own one
and i must advise you its not worth the money
there not very good guitars at all the bulid quality is shoddy the pickup sounds awful
and you wont gget a tom sound out of it belive me
this coming from somone who likes blink 182 if you want to sound like tom get his strat its a hell of alot better then the epi semi
and tbh its more about his amp
and unless you can afford a mesa triple rectifier
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Kurapica

I get tired of people trying to be punk yet do everything that punk was against. IE giving money to corporate businesses in large amounts for a guitar.
Quote by ToalNOOB
I get tired of people trying to be punk yet do everything that punk was against. IE giving money to corporate businesses in large amounts for a guitar.

well they gave him money. it was an endorsement im pretty sure
Quote by ToalNOOB

Sometimes you have to compromise. If you stay solidly true to the ethic of punk, you don't get signed and no-one hears your music and you only preach to the converted. It's a matter of compromise at the end of the day. If you buy bad gear and sound bad, noone will listen and frankly, who wants to play on bad gear?

It's either buy something pretty decent like a Fender Strat/Tele, or go custom, which costs a damn site more and is pretty much out of reach for anyone who's not massively successful.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Not that I'm a fan of blink. But didn't they break up 5 years ago? Around the time he had the signature fender?
So in thinking that he got the signature gibson maybe 2 years ago. I could be wrong. But during this time he's in Angels & Airwaves. Which IMO sounds totally tonally different than Blink.

If you want the epi get it. It might be the best sounding guitar you've ever played. But than again it might be the worst! And you end up kicking yourself in the a$$ for not getting the Gibby.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Not that I'm a fan of blink. But didn't they break up 5 years ago? Around the time he had the signature fender?
So in thinking that he got the signature gibson maybe 2 years ago. I could be wrong. But during this time he's in Angels & Airwaves. Which IMO sounds totally tonally different than Blink.

If you want the epi get it. It might be the best sounding guitar you've ever played. But than again it might be the worst! And you end up kicking yourself in the a$$ for not getting the Gibby.

they didnt break up 5 years ago thety broke up under 4 years ago and hed had he sig since 03
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by boxcarmonument

i think his fender came out when blink made enema of state and his gibson came out when they made the self titled i'm pretty sure. ya AVA is different tonally but he had the guitar in his blink days. I hope he makes a new one for a new blink sound now that theyre back together
i think you should honestly buy whatever you want. My only concern/question is why you want this if you already had an epiphone and you are planning to buy a fender strat. Anyways, If you have the money for all of that you should get what you want. I have a mexi strat but put a seymour duncan distortion in the bridge for that extra umph
Fan of the Ottawa Senators

Quote by apak
My G string keeps slipping when i bend it.
Any suggestions?
I played The TD Epi and thought it was good, but I've only played 3 guitars in my life, mine, a squire, and that sig.

If you can find it used, I say go for it.
I thought the Gibson TD guitar was $3000?
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay