Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone,
Ever since I was 14 I have told myself "I'm gonna learn to skate this summer" but never dedicated myself to it.

I've decided this summer I am going to learn for sure.

Anyone have some tips for me as a beginner? I realize I can't escape getting hurt but that's fine.
What are some good boards for beginners?
I've heard Element decks are crap so I probably won't get one of those.

Thanks.

Yeah, visit skate parks a lot and ask people for pointers if they do something you want to learn. Try not to get in people's way either.
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
whatever you do don't buy a deck from somewhere like walmart and the likes, you're just asking for snapped trucks. if you're in the states, find a feet first or zumiez or something and get a deck,trucks,wheels and bearings. then have fun and don't break anything.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
what mikeyELite said...
and definitely stay clear of seasoned pros.
they'll run you over
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
If you're in the UK and you wanna buy online, I definately reccomend a site called Rollersnakes.
find someone to skate with, practice, dont be a pussy, get some skate shoes too, and dont skimp out on your board. get good stuff on it or else you will regret it.
Quote by seokorn
your awesome stoner

Quote by Frobot!
Tapeman is my hero.
^and then later kick your ass

theres tutorial vids on youtube so if you wanna get some tricks down check em out
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
dont get **** online, find a local skateshop and support it. plus that way you can feel out a board and get the proper size and ****. personally, antihero, real, and stereo are good as **** (same with habitat and alien)
dont try and run before you can walk, ollies before pop shuvits etc. skate shoes help a lot and having other people around that you can compare yourself to helps you to improve

i have a zero deck and it has been the best deck i have ever owned, good pop, right size and its virtually unbreakable. i also reccomend bones reds bearings, insanely smooth and will last an age
Last edited by demon.guitarist at Feb 10, 2009,
just chill out and have fun with it. be cool with everyone, hang out at parks alot, thats the best way to get better, and actually get into the skate scene. dont be like one of those fools that are just like Bam is teh c00l because he has his own show. and most of all make friends with it, the more you can relate with people and feed off of their energy the more psyched up you get to learn new stuff.
edit: and don't be one of those kid's that go out and film sponsor me tapes of them doing varial flips sketch as hell on flatground over and over, and style with your tricks/skating is the most important. if you look relaxed, and you make what you do look good, the better you seem
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Last edited by gnaraaron at Feb 10, 2009,
Thanks for all the responses. There's a pretty popular skate shop downtown here, but unfortunately the skate park we had is now closed.
I hang with a ton of skaters so I could try getting some of them to help me out.
Last time I tried to skate I could hardly stand on the board, so hopefully this won't be a lost cause.

My setup is a Girl Deck, Indy Trucks, Reds, and Rictas. I would highly recommend it if you have 200+ bucks to spare. And PLEASE don't be one of those kids who're like ''i can haz tre flip on flatz and yoo cant. n00b.'' I see all these kids doing their flip tricks like an inch off the ground, barely moving and taking an hour to setup for it and they have no style and it really annoys me.

Honestly, the best thing you can do for yourself is like what you would do on guitar; master the basics. A super clean bs 180 with sufficient air is infinite times better than a sketchy as hell tre. Also, mastering the basics makes it alot easier for you to skate lines around the park, which is really fun.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Quote by The Silent Fool
Real men longboard.

Haha.

That made me think of street lugeing(sp?) for some reason, which always seemed extremely fun.
(From an ex-skater) As far as skate shoes go it's really only best to wear them while skating. They have no real soles to them, so excessively walking around in them can f**k up your feet. (Ask me and my bro; after a week of wearing them all the time my knees felt sore and my bro who wore them for months (and doesn't even skate) had major foot problems and had to get some normal shoes) Oh, and do get a deck from a real skate shop to show your support.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Last edited by Quinlan at Feb 10, 2009,
dont go to the skatepark.
not yet
just get some friends and just skate around town, on the streets,
wherever just not the skatepark.

not untill you can skate around, and feel comfortable enough on your board to not just be an annoyance at a skatepark
just give me a fender and let me rip
Quote by Quinlan
(From an ex-skater) As far as skate shoes go it's really only best to wear them while skating. They have no real soles to them, so excessively walking around in them can f**k up your feet. (Ask me and my bro; after a week of wearing them all the time my knees felt sore and my bro who wore them for months (and doesn't even skate) had major foot problems and had to get some normal shoes) Oh, and do get a deck from a real skate shop to show your support.

ive been wearing and skating in skate shoes for years
and my feet are completely fine?
just give me a fender and let me rip
Before you start accept that things are going to take a LONG time to click. Just like guitar your gonna need to put in the hours.
Quote by sk8board3r
ive been wearing and skating in skate shoes for years
and my feet are completely fine?

Same here.

Quote by JackalUK
Before you start accept that things are going to take a LONG time to click. Just like guitar your gonna need to put in the hours.

Yeah I already realize that's what it's gonna be like.

I'm also gonna learn how to wakeboard.
This summer's gonna be rad!
YEAH SKATER LINGO!!!
Haha j/k j/k.
don't go to the skate parks until you have a decent idea of what you are doing. (I of course largely base that on my local one which is huge and pretty much only designed for intermediate+ skaters)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Go around calling things rad and you'll find your board rocket airing up your back door....
Quote by ThyHorrorCosmic
Haha.

That made me think of street lugeing(sp?) for some reason, which always seemed extremely fun.

Longboarding really is the bomb though, I wouldn't say it's better than trick boarding in any way, but to me it is a lot more chill, which is how I role.
Quote by mikeyElite
whatever you do don't buy a deck from somewhere like walmart and the likes, you're just asking for snapped trucks. if you're in the states, find a feet first or zumiez or something and get a deck,trucks,wheels and bearings. then have fun and don't break anything.

Dude I got my kick ass kryptonics board from walmart.
Don't push Mongo.
The better skaters will lol.

Also, don't go to skateparks until you can ollie a decent height and you're comfortable moving decently fast.

I can still remember getting irritated with noob skaters who would just ride around the skatepark and not do anything. You wanna ride? do it on the sidewalk. Stay out of the halfpipe
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan
Don't push Mongo.
The better skaters will lol.

Also, don't go to skateparks until you can ollie a decent height and you're comfortable moving decently fast.

I can still remember getting irritated with noob skaters who would just ride around the skatepark and not do anything. You wanna ride? do it on the sidewalk. Stay out of the halfpipe

How about you try to help them? That's like walking into guitar center seeing some kid attempt purple haze and saying "go practice in your bedroom and come back when you're better"
Quote by ThyHorrorCosmic
Hey everyone,
Ever since I was 14 I have told myself "I'm gonna learn to skate this summer" but never dedicated myself to it.

I've decided this summer I am going to learn for sure.

Anyone have some tips for me as a beginner? I realize I can't escape getting hurt but that's fine.
What are some good boards for beginners?
I've heard Element decks are crap so I probably won't get one of those.

Thanks.

I used to skate for 5 years and i loved it. Skate with people who are better than you at first that way you will learn tricks quicker, it worked for me. Once you learn a trick learn to do it off ledges, stairs etc.. and if prefferable in fakie, nollie and then switch it's what i did and i ended up being better in switch than regular. Also once you learn more tricks join in games of skate, it'll put pressure on you to learn more tricks.

For boards, go with a shop blank set up at first, you might not like skating. After that i'd recommend Girl, Chocolate, Blueprint or Cliche decks, there what i used and there great for street and tech skating.
Don't skate Mongo (Taking off with your right foot) once you start to get experienced it can mess up tricks..
And if you're going to wear ANYTHING at all for protection.. Helmet.. I never wore mine until 11th grade, after I had to get 17 staples.. But anyway, don't overlook a helmet.

Get a slayer helmet like I did!
Quote by i_killed_bill
How about you try to help them? That's like walking into guitar center seeing some kid attempt purple haze and saying "go practice in your bedroom and come back when you're better"

that would be good advice...

Quote by Filter

And if you're going to wear ANYTHING at all for protection.. Helmet.. I never wore mine until 11th grade, after I had to get 17 staples.. But anyway, don't overlook a helmet.

and if you start skating vert you should also wear kneepads initially, they will save you much unnecessary agony.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by i_killed_bill

The problem is a lot, and I mean A LOT of skaters are arrogant egotripping arseholes. If he ruins a run because he's in the wrong place and can't move fast enough then he's probably gonna get a board thrown at him or punched in the face. It's better to be stable and comfortable on your board before going there.
Quote by JackalUK
The problem is a lot, and I mean A LOT of skaters are arrogant egotripping arseholes. If he ruins a run because he's in the wrong place and can't move fast enough then he's probably gonna get a board thrown at him or punched in the face. It's better to be stable and comfortable on your board before going there.

Thanks for understanding what I meant

It's a safety issue. If you get in the way of someone dropping in from a ramp, you're gonna get creamed hard.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by The Silent Fool
Real men longboard.

Dancing is better than anything else on this world.

OnTopic: Don't piss off the better skaters. Stay out of the way, and don't be a dick. That's all there is to enjoying the sport.
its 1:56 am and i just ate 6 chocolate chip cookies in not even near as many minutes
Quote by StewieSwan
Thanks for understanding what I meant

It's a safety issue. If you get in the way of someone dropping in from a ramp, you're gonna get creamed hard.

Yeah, I get it now, I thought you were just being a douche
Dont expect to get really good really fast. Skating is a sport that takes a LOT of practice, i mean a lot, and you will hurt yourself a few times. I skated for 5 years without any major injury, and in that time i got pretty good. Then one day i was just skating around casually, just did a simple kickflick maybe 2 feet off the ground, and didn't land it properly. I fell off and popped my shoulder out of the socket and haven't skated since.

It's very frustrating, but very rewarding at the same time. Just don't give up after a month because you can't ollie yet. Stick with it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Filter
Don't skate Mongo (Taking off with your right foot) once you start to get experienced it can mess up tricks..

Yeah for sure, especially since I don't have insurance anymore.
I'm gonna get some gloves too just for the sake of guitar playing.
Quote by ThyHorrorCosmic
Yeah for sure, especially since I don't have insurance anymore.
I'm gonna get some gloves too just for the sake of guitar playing.

get full wrist guards actually, most gloves don't do much more than protect from minor scrapes.

Last.fm
what ever you do, DO NOT MONGO PUSH which is pushing at the back of the board instead of the front yo will get made fun of believe me i am a pretty experienced skater of 7 years
Quote by nickolsson
what ever you do, DO NOT MONGO PUSH which is pushing at the back of the board instead of the front yo will get made fun of believe me i am a pretty experienced skater of 7 years

back when I skated I used to do that as a setup for certain tricks, I call BS on saying never to do that.

Last.fm
Quote by Ash on fires
Dancing is better than anything else on this world.

OnTopic: Don't piss off the better skaters. Stay out of the way, and don't be a dick. That's all there is to enjoying the sport.

Agreed, cross stepping or walkin' the plank beats kickflips any day.
Page 1 of 2