Page 1 of 2
What qualities do you think make a perfect guitarist? For example, one might be the ability to sparingly and tastefully use a Floyd Rose.
Corona Corona
Be Guthrie Govan.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Great spelling
good variety in his playing,
being original but still sounding good
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by silversoulcage
What the **** does a floyd rose have to do with talent?

I was wondering this as well.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by irishstang_87
He's gotta turn the gain down.

EDIT: ^And that

That, and non-existant arrogance. That's the one thing I absolutely cannot stand.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by FloyDZeD
I was wondering this as well.

Using it tastefully and at good times within a solo. It, in a lot of cases, makes it sound better. The guitarist who used it in this tasteful manner has a good ear for when to use it.

Talent.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
I'm just saying a lot of guitarists go overboard with their vibrato arms, especially live.
Corona Corona
Put every once of emotion you have into every note you hit, because if your not feeling the crowd aint either!!!
Quote by silversoulcage
What the **** does a floyd rose have to do with talent?

he's trying to glorify a floyd rose. nevermind that there's other types of tremolos....
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
On second thought, he should have the talent of Paul Gilbert, the versatility of Paul Gilbert, the personality of Paul Gilbert, and the devilish good looks of Paul Gilbert. The only problem is I don't think such a person exists...
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Feb 10, 2009,
floyde roses havie nothing to with talent,the just make the guitar sound cool lol
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Well, knowledge of theory is one thing. The ability to improvise in various genres is another.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Rogue Hermit
he's trying to glorify a floyd rose. nevermind that there's other types of tremolos....

For real, just caz Via uses one everybody thinks anyone has a floyd rose is automatically a god, when it's pretty much the exact opposite.
Quote by irishstang_87
On second thought, he should have the talent of Paul Gilbert, the versatility of Paul Gilbert, the personality of Paul Gilbert, and the devilish good looks of Paul Gilbert. The only problem is I don't think such a person exists...

I think there might be someone like that, the name slips me. Was it Paul Gilbert, Chuck Norris, or something like that?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by demoniacfashion
For example, one might be the ability to sparingly and tastefully use a Floyd Rose.

Kerry King has talent...???

To me, they should utilize techniques. I hate people who say Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and all those generics are great. They might have inspired people, but that doesn't mean they're some phenomenal guitarist. Yngwie is great because he utilizes sweeping, legatos, arpeggios, and various classical techniques. To me, speed and technicality DOES mean skill.
He has to make rainbows come out of the headstock whilst spinning on his head strumming a D chord.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx

To me, they should utilize techniques. I hate people who say Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, and all those generics are great. They might have inspired people, but that doesn't mean they're some phenomenal guitarist. Yngwie is great because he utilizes sweeping, legatos, arpeggios, and various classical techniques. To me, speed and technicality DOES mean skill.

You're right, but the lack of speed doesn't mean a lack of skill. Most genres just require a different kind of skill.
Quote by bendystraw
Music is subjective, there is no perfect musician.

Only good post in this thread, imo.
Well true, but the technique is always a must. That's why I love Antti Kokko of Kalmah. He doesn't use crazy scaled speeds, while still giving a metal sound, and using great technique.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx

Well, it does mean skill to me too, it just doesn't necessarily mean that I enjoy the music.

Anyway, the reason that I look up to Hendrix, Clapton, Page, hell, even Angus Young is because they made great music. To me, that makes them great players.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

the awesomeness of Dave Mustaine mixed touch of Steve Vai!

shaken not stirred.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Quote by MushroomBomb
Well, it does mean skill to me too, it just doesn't necessarily mean that I enjoy the music.

Anyway, the reason that I look up to Hendrix, Clapton, Page, hell, even Angus Young is because they made great music. To me, that makes them great players.

I agree!
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Being Buckethead. Best guitarist alive, no doubt.

Quote by silversoulcage
For real, just caz Via uses one everybody thinks anyone has a floyd rose is automatically a god, when it's pretty much the exact opposite.

Vai doesn't use a floyd rose.
Last edited by bluebadumtable at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by xChristgrindeRx

You know what? Who says you need to utilize crazy techniques to be a great guitarist? Music is less about scales and arpeggios, and more about feeling. Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist. Yngwie is arrogant and tedious to listen to. Ask any non-guitarist and see which they like more. Feeling or scale runs at 234657786765445709064359576790 bpm?

Also, Steve Vai and Satch are good at putting feeling into technique.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Someone who doesn't sit around all day on a guitar forum.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Yeah but my common saying... "Too many people confuse influence with skill".

Meaning, just because a band might be great with an overall sound, doesn't make their musicians particularly great. Although, it has been true (i.e: Necrophagist). And just as it has been true, it has also been vice versa. Some bands have a sh**ty sound and sh**ty musicians (i.e: SlipKnot).

^_^
Being mute so that he can't refer to people people as 'my bassist' and 'my drummer'.

OH and they should have tits so the rest of us have something to stare at during their 20 minute solos.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
Quote by Pencil Man
You know what? Who says you need to utilize crazy techniques to be a great guitarist? Music is less about scales and arpeggios, and more about feeling. Jimi Hendrix is a great guitarist. Yngwie is arrogant and tedious to listen to. Ask any non-guitarist and see which they like more. Feeling or scale runs at 234657786765445709064359576790 bpm?

Also, Steve Vai and Satch are good at putting feeling into technique.

0mfgZ, u n33d t3h f3eling to b Gud!

Shut up.
Page 1 of 2