So i plan on either buying the MXR carbon copy or a nu set of pickups for my Epi LP. the pickups would be duncan 59/JB. and the total price would be pretty much dead even (if i install pups myself i have soldered before and my friend has the gear so i probably will) My Question is a mix of which should i get this weekend? and are those pups what i want for alternative through metal styles of playing? (with a hint of ska)

generally i depend on my ear but i cant really try out the pups... so yeah. i think i need the pups first but im not sure not very experienced in the matter...
\
help plz :]
Sieves
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
pups then delay
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
are you sure you want the JB in a LP-style guitar? it's very 80s-sounding (by that, i mean hair metal), and also can get a bit muddy in a LP-style guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you sure you want the JB in a LP-style guitar? it's very 80s-sounding (by that, i mean hair metal), and also can get a bit muddy in a LP-style guitar.

honestly no i am most definitly NOT sure thats what i want... i posted in the gear customization thread and that was a suggestion i got... any advice or insight that you have would be more then wonderful

TY
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2

my big problem is i'm not too into alternative music, so i don't really want to advise something which might not work for the music you play. what do you mean by metal, too?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the pick ups mate, btw Dave is right (depending on you ramp as well).
Don't let that statement denegrate the P.u.'s good name (if you dont like hair metal)
Its pretty versetile.
Also try out the Duncan custom alnico II or custom custom, depending on how hot of a pick up you want.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Dave_Mc
my big problem is i'm not too into alternative music, so i don't really want to advise something which might not work for the music you play. what do you mean by metal, too?

i dunno how we kids classify our metal anything from A7x, In Flames, to Pantera, Kiss type stuff... i am deffinitly more concerned about my alternative tone than my metal tone so stuff like blink-182 bayside sense fail... stuff like that is more my concern tonewise...
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2

that's a pretty wide range of tones... i'm honestly not sure, as i said, i don't want to advise you to go for the wrong thing. hopefully someone else can help.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's a pretty wide range of tones... i'm honestly not sure, as i said, i don't want to advise you to go for the wrong thing. hopefully someone else can help.

well i appreciate the thought thanks.

to any1 that does play some alternative/rock stuff i am still in need of help a set of alnico II might be a bit too expensive any and all advice is greatly appreciated
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2

lol im actually going to have to disagree with Dave (for once) i thot that the JB was a pretty solid pick-up for what you described, however, I would go try it out. a lot of guitars (like the mid range ESP les pauls) have them already installed so you can try to track down one to here it.

those other ones sound good too tho.

btw. good choice on the '59. i have one in my jetking. it sounds pretty fregin sweet.
good luck!

oh yea, have you checked out SD's website? they have clips, albeit bad clips, but clips none the less of all of their pups. also, try searching youtube for reviews

EDIT: also, the pearly gates is a pretty solid pup. i think most of your song for that genre will come from your OD/DS pedal personally, a lot of alt guys use single coils and still get pretty beefy sounds. i would find a pup that gave you the cleans that you wanted first, and definitely consider how they sound distorted, but i would be more concerned about cleans.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Feb 11, 2009,
I was agreeing until you defined metal. that's a pretty wide margin your talking about.If that's all the money you have you may want to think pedal. What other gear do you have?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
only problem with trying a JB is that they often sound completely different in (on paper) identical guitars. i'm not suggesting you shouldn't try them, of course, but if you can try them, if the shop has several models all with the JB installed, you should try several of them, as you might notice that they sound different.

EDIT: not saying this doesn't happen with all pickups, as all wood is different, but the JB seems especially sensitive for some reason.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i will definitely see if i can find an LP with the JB in it at the place but if they dont then i wont know what to get. yes i have checked out the clips on their site but again they dont specify what instrument thats going through.

scott58 i could care less about my metal tone any shows i play around here will be with my friends who are in a metal band i can just borrow one of their guitars if i want to play a metal song... but the alt tone needs to be killer i will definitly invest in an OD eventually and all my gear is in my sig thats everything so tell me what you think

thanks a lot guys your all being very helpful.
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2