I have recently wired and EMG-81 and a EMG-85 into my guitar. Whenever I face the guitar north or south, I get a pretty loud, mid range sounding hum coming from the speakers. When I face the guitar east and west, the hum almost disappears. I have a compressor/gate that use to eliminate the hum, but now there is a such a difference in loudness between facing north/south and west/east, that I can't find a good setting to set the gate to. How would I go about wiring the pickups so that the hum goes away? Thanks.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst 500t/490r
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Series 2 Head
Carvin vt412 4x12 cabinet
are you sure?
the earths magnetic field is 1*10^-4 T that is very little... so i doubt it's that - more likely to be something in your house

try putting some foil behind your pickups?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
This could be way off, but with TV/ radio receptions depending on where you place the arial, i.e. if you have the maximum service area facing the transmitter you get a much stronger single, perhaps your wiring/ guitar/ amp when facing north/ south acts as a large surface arial and picks up signal that is being transmitted.

You could try shielding the guitar cavities and also, if your amp has a closed back you could take it off and line the inside with copper foil or tin foil and glue it down.

Just an idea though.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Amp is facing south. Also, the only wall outlets in my room are 2 prong, I am using a 2 to 3 prong adapter, does the lack of a ground cause the hum?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst 500t/490r
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Series 2 Head
Carvin vt412 4x12 cabinet
Last edited by Karg45 at Feb 10, 2009,