hey, I've got a question which has been bugging me for a while. If the proper definition of irony is when a speaker says one thing but means another then what is the correct term for the common meaning? you know, the one that the grammar nazis get so angry about.
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
I believe what we call irony is really sarcasm and what we call sarcasm is really irony. But I could be wrong.
Quote by o d y s s e y
I hate Grammar Nazis.
Fixed. D- See me after class.
Most likely, an improbable occurence which has been mentioned in some way before happening, or has some relation to a current situation.

Now, can someone explain the difference between facetiousness and sarcasm? I'm still trying to get to grips with that one.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I do not understand. Perhaps a dictionary would help you in this quest for enlightenment?
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Carlin said it much better than I, with my Bachelors in English, ever could:

Irony deals with opposites; it has nothing to do with coincidence. If two baseball palyers from the same hometown, on different teams, receive the same uniform number, it is not ironic. It is a coincidence. If Barry Bonds attains lifetime statistics identical to his father’s it will not be ironic. It will be a coincidence. Irony is "a state of affairs that is the reverse of what was to be expected; a result opposite to and in mockery of the appropriate result." For instance:

* If a diabetic, on his way to buy insulin, is killed by a runaway truck, he is the victim of an accident. If the truck was delivering sugar, he is the victim of an oddly poetic coincidence. But if the truck was delivering insulin, ah! Then he is the victim of an irony.

* If a Kurd, after surviving bloody battle with Saddam Hussein’s army and a long, difficult escape through the mountains, is crushed and killed by a parachute drop of humanitarian aid, that, my friend, is irony writ large.

* Darryl Stingley, the pro football player, was paralyzed after a brutal hit by Jack Tatum. Now Darryl Stingley’s son plays football, and if the son should become paralyzed while playing, it will not be ironic. It will be coincidental. If Darryl Stingley’s son paralyzes someone else, that will be closer to ironic. If he paralyzes Jack Tatum’s son that will be precisely ironic.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
irony is when the opposite of what is expected happens. grammar nazis flip out when people say something is ironic when actually the correct term is coincidental. for example, me and my friend both wearing the same shirt to school is coincidental. a man wading through floodwaters with an umbrella is ironic.
It's like rain on your wedding day

*edit* Gah, beaten to the punch!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Last edited by bodyheatseeker at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by GettintheLedout
I believe what we call irony is really sarcasm and what we call sarcasm is really irony. But I could be wrong.

according to wikipedia Sarcasm is a form of ironic speech or writing which is bitter or cutting, being intended to taunt its target

so it seems the first part of your statement isn't entirely accurate

EDIT: ok, thanks guys. That kind of helps, especially the carlin thing. however, "an oddly poetic coincidence" is slightly harder to say than "ironic"
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
Last edited by jacobs at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by bodyheatseeker
It's like rain on your wedding day
Or a free ride, when you've already paid.
Quote by jacobs
according to wikipedia Sarcasm is a form of ironic speech or writing which is bitter or cutting, being intended to taunt its target

so it seems the first part of your statement isn't entirely accurate

hence the disclaimer
wait....theres grammer nazi now? damn 1st the jews now they going after the blacks, when will they learn
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
A man quit his job becuase he wasnt getting enough pay, the manager had planned to surprise him with a pay rise the day after he left.

Irony.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by jacobs
hey, I've got a question which has been bugging me for a while. If the proper definition of irony is when a speaker says one thing but means another then what is the correct term for the common meaning? you know, the one that the grammar nazis get so angry about.

There is no definition for it... the common term for it is irony; use that.

The correct definition for saying something and being misunderstood by everyone should be 'ballsing it up'
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
I find it ironic that you could not use some sort of search bar or search engine to find the answer.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by homeless-john
An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day

ironically, that song has nothing to do with irony. It's just really poor luck

sarcasm is intended as an insult or to hurt. i.e.

Person 1: Do you want some help with that?
Person 2: No, I want you to cut my arms and legs off with a chainsaw.

Albequerque (SP?) FTMFW
Quote by food1010
I find it ironic that you could not use some sort of search bar or search engine to find the answer.

I consider it an oddly poetic coincidence that you are posting in a thread about the definition of irony when you seem to lack a grasp of that very subject

I should have mentioned that I used the search bar and found nothing, also, I would have googled it had I known what to look up, but had I know the term to look up, I would have had no reason to google it or start this thread in the first place. correct me if I'm wrong, but that is ironic
Quote by ctb
Or a free ride, when you've already paid.

good advice, that you just didnt take..

but anyway an example I heard today:

A group about safe driving couldnt make it to the seminar because they crashed the car.. or some **** like that

apparently americans aren't supposed to get irony.. yet their irony is our sarcasm?? wtf?!

also.. sarcasm is supposed to be like one of the lowest forms of wit.. which I have in abundance(sarcasm, not wit..)
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by jacobs
I consider it an oddly poetic coincidence that you are posting in a thread about the definition of irony when you seem to lack a grasp of that very subject

I should have mentioned that I used the search bar and found nothing, also, I would have googled it had I known what to look up, but had I know the term to look up, I would have had no reason to google it or start this thread in the first place. correct me if I'm wrong, but that is ironic

yeah, thats not ironic at all..

and in google couldnt you have just searched "Irony"? since that is the thread title?
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

There are three types of irony: Verbal Irony (sarcasm), Dramatic Irony (when, in a play or book, the audience or the reader knows something that the character don't), and Situational Irony (normal irony, as in eye doctor goes blind, firefighter dies in a fire, doctor gets dreadfully ill..etc.)
Irony is giving yourself a paper cut with a plaster.

Carrying a bag inside a bag is ironic I believe.

*thinks to himself*

...yeah Im going to goto bed now.
Quote by will123456789
yeah, thats not ironic at all..

and in google couldnt you have just searched "Irony"? since that is the thread title?

Oh well, I tried.

I don't think "irony?" would have returned anything that would answer my question
Irony is... Well, Irony. It's hard to explain.

The best way to understand irony is to listen to the Alanis Morisette song "Ironic". You see, the ironic thing is that Alanis Morisette wouldn't know the meaning of irony if it bit her on the ass.
Quote by Vermintide
Irony is... Well, Irony. It's hard to explain.

The best way to understand irony is to listen to the Alanis Morisette song "Ironic". You see, the ironic thing is that Alanis Morisette wouldn't know the meaning of irony if it bit her on the ass.

Vermintide, I think I love you
Quote by homeless-john
An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day

It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late

EDIT: Seems im late on the singing train..

Quote by 24fRETSoFfURY
The only thing ironic about that song is nothing said in it is actually ironic.

thats what Ive always thought everytime I listen to that song.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Last edited by yellowfrizbee at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by Preid
Carrying a bag inside a bag is ironic I believe.

Yo dawg, I heard you like bags, so I put a bag in your bag so you can carry shit while you carry shit.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by jacobs

Not so much.

Quote by mrwaffles
There are three types of irony: Verbal Irony (sarcasm), Dramatic Irony (when, in a play or book, the audience or the reader knows something that the character don't), and Situational Irony (normal irony, as in eye doctor goes blind, firefighter dies in a fire, doctor gets dreadfully ill..etc.)

Thank you. This and the Carlin posts have been the best posted so far.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Cookie for who knows what its from.
Quote by pureebil333
A bunch of idiots dancing on a plane to a song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.

Cookie for who knows what its from.

Con air, I did not enjoy that movie
There are different forms of irony. Sarcasm is indeed a lower form of it, but most people on the internet like to make their e-penises look large by trying to be clever and actually caring that it's not irony in its true form. Anyone who actually needs to assert that they're right and other people are wrong about things like that seriously needs to get a real life, imo
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
RIP Carlin.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Proper definition here we go english class:
Irony is when something totally unexpected happens or when something totally opposite to what one might think would happen happens.
Irony - using the opposite of what you mean to express a point. It's rather tricky to explain so it's best just to use examples, as one guy gave earlier, wading through flood waters carrying an unbrella.

Sarcasm is using irony to insult someone.

TS, I think it's time you invested in a dictionary, a good one.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here