I went through a recording phase some time ago that eventually drove me nuts. My girlfriend at the time had a nice studio in her apartment (analog 24 track tape machine, etc.), Neumann tube microphones, acoustic/electric guitars up to her neck, a drum kit and synthesizers of all shapes and sizes.

So I thought, "Hey, I could be the next TODD and record some stuff on my own, just overdubbing everything. Maybe I will l make another 'Hello, It's Me' or something".

That only lasted for two days. Even with all the gear, plenty of time and a minimum of skill, I created some neat stuff but it was like pulling teeth. The isolation factor drove me nuts. My girlfriend on the other hand loved the isolation factor. She recorded entire albums that way and has a nice career.

She would drive me nuts. I would watch her program the drum machine to play a simple stupid thing. It would take her all day to get the drum stuff right for just one lousy song. A drummer could have recorded the entire song in five minutes and there was a Ludwig SuperClassic kit right there, but no, it had to have that metronome precision that pop music lives by.

I think she liked being in total control, no musicians (to pay) to teach her vision to and all that.

I was stupefied with boredom within hours. I could not believe the process hindered my creativity to such an extent. And this is before it became all digital and you could do it all on your computer in your basement.
so the point of this was? just a rant? programming drums drove me nuts too, but i did it because i love music and i always looked at the part where i get to play guitar as the payoff for it.
Quote by z4twenny
so the point of this was? just a rant?

No, just sharing an experience.

And I prefer playing with a real drummer.
Quote by Lumiere Rouge
No, just sharing an experience.

And I prefer playing with a real drummer.

Thanks for the share. It's a thought-provoking data point for the question: Why would someone spend the time and energy on a pointless post that would only make them look opinionated in a narrow-minded kind of way?
Quote by edg
Why would someone spend the time and energy on a pointless post that would only make them look opinionated in a narrow-minded kind of way?

It's for fooling the enemy.