Hey UG, I was looking into purchasing a new guitar soon. The majority of guitars I've looked at have trem systems on them. I've seldom played any guitars with trems as I own a hardtail and was a bit intimidated by them at GC. I am debating over I should get a guitar with a tremolo system of not. I know will be be fun at first, but does this wear off for you? Do you find yourself not using it anymore?

tldr Did you get bored of/do you still use your guitar's tremolo anymore?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
I traded my Jackson away because of it's FR. I didn't need it and I wanted to be able to change tunings.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I still use mine,but not for crazy divebombs and things like that like I did was I was younger.I now use mine for subtle things like flutters and slight pitch changes, so an FR style probably isn't the best trem for me anymore.Think long term,if you have an issue with the trem you can always just block it off and be done with it until you want to use it again.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I wish my strat had a hardtail bridge. I was used to playing guitars with Les Paul stlye bridges so much that when i bought my strat, i unscrewedthe tremelo bar and never used it. If i rarely need the tremelo effect on stage i just pull the bridge up from the back. It looks cooler anyway.
Quote by Pr0gNut
I still use mine,but not for crazy divebombs and things like that like I did was I was younger.I now use mine for subtle things like flutters and slight pitch changes, so an FR style probably isn't the best trem for me anymore.Think long term,if you have an issue with the trem you can always just block it off and be done with it until you want to use it again.

Agreed.

Jeesh Pr0gNut we are long lost twins...ish.

Blocking it is a good idea, means you can have a stable bridge and change the tunings. Then if you are wanting to whammy with a whammy you can just clamp the locking nut down, fiddle with the fine tuners and unblock it.

A tremol-no will be good. BUT bare in mind that it may be a pain in the arse to restring if you aren't used to them.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Vibrato arms come off (dunno about floyd rose setups but im talking bout my strat), I never use mine cause it goes out of tune way to easy. One day I plan on swapping out my tuning machines and putting in a LSR roller nut so I can do some subtle stuff without going out of tune.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I always wanted one and did have f.r. equipped guitars. But I never really used it. I liked the kahler but didnt use it much either. So yeah I did get tired of it but man, even today I still play something cool and wish I had one on my guitar!
Quote by Pac_man0123
If you don't want the hassle of a floating trem may i suggest a guitar with a wilkinson?

Always with the good suggestions eh Pac?

This is a great alternative to double locking trems.A wilkinson is very responsive in my experience and if you set it up properly and pair it with a good nut and some locking tuner it stays in tune very well.I have one on my Warmoth soloist and it works perfectly for what I need a trem to do.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Always with the good suggestions eh Pac?

This is a great alternative to double locking trems.A wilkinson is very responsive in my experience and if you set it up properly and pair it with a good nut and some locking tuner it stays in tune very well.I have one on my Warmoth soloist and it works perfectly for what I need a trem to do.

Yeah i tried one on a used P-38 or something like that.. some lower-end parker. It felt amazingly smooth and had a lot of range. Stayed in tune, too.
I used to wank annoying-kid-in-the-corner-style. Now I use it similarly to Jeff Beck. Less use, but I do still use it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
When i first got my Ibanez i used the trem like crazy for about the first week, then i basically didnt use it for a few years, but now i use it. Its always good to have because there are many songs that require one especially if u play lots of metal solo's, but generally even if you dont use a trem, a FR is a good setup to have due to the low level of tuning maintenance required.
RG's & Mesa's
I keep it with the owners manual, QC tag and the backplate. That is to say, I probably won't even look at it unless I sell the guitar.
If you want to drop tune and still use your FR you can block the one side (so it won't pull up) and then tighten the springs a bit. If you break a string live it will stay in tune.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 11, 2009,
when i first got my RG1570, my intentions were to do crazy whammy effects like vai, kerry king, satch, dime, ect.

but i found myself not using it at all. on rare occasions i do a vibrato or slight pitch dive but i dont' use it much.

i do love the tuning stability though and the fact that i can unwind the string abit and reuse it if i break it.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
It's good for some more versatility, but I'm more impressed with fast picking licks to build tension than a horse noise.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I use my ZR occasionally - maybe when I want to divebomb, or bend down [like a reverse bend ], it gets used. Luckily for me, the tuning is really stable so it doesn't matter too much.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I enjoy vintage style trems. They are versatile and don't really impere anything. But I get tired of FR's after about 10 minutes of messing around. They can, very seldom though, be useful songwriting tools.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
you can always take it off if it annoys you or you dont want it on right then. but on the down side when you raise the action on some the little screw things can scrape your wrist a little bit and maybe cut you but if you keep them in shape they might not be too bad on your wrist. also the action is a b***h to get right if youre not into your stuff like that. but itsgreat for special sounds like with a floyd rose you can even make it sound like a motor bike. hope it helps
I have one guitar where I actually use the trem system.

I find myself to prefer like a wilkinson bridge to a floyd style.

but yeah, whatever I want/need to use i do
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
im not gonna trade my jackson, but I wont ever buy another guitar with a tremolo. its a pain in the ass to change strings and to change tunings
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
I don't find myself playing all that much stuff where I need a whammy, as I don't really solo that much. Although I'd like to learn to. I'm leaning towards getting a guitar with a trem. Hardtails limit my options once you get into my price range unfortunately.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
I have an edge trem and I don't use it that often,. Maybe to pull up here and there, but the bridge is mostly to keep the guitar in tune 99% of the time.
Would it be worth getting a trem for the added locking tuning?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
tuning stability is a great plus.. the sacrifice is the ability to change tunings though.

It's really boring to do the same over the top stuff over and over again. i mean, you can use it to do fluttering and crazy vibratos if you dont wanna use it for crazy fun stuff.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Soul Eater
Would it be worth getting a trem for the added locking tuning?

you're better off with locking tuners
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo