Page 1 of 2
Personally I’d say no! Over the course of a few years a friend of mine has downloaded a ton of albums/tracks of a particular genre not often heard on mainstream media. He says 99% of them he would not have bought, therefore the company has not lost a sale! As for the 1% he went out & bought the hard copies because he liked them. The reason he knows he likes them is because he was able to hear them first via the download, as opposed to the old days of taking a chance in the record shop (because what i liked at the time was never heard on radio etc) in the hope it will be to your taste! In my day of buying records it was not always possible to hear it first in the shop! Let’s face it; it’s not as if there are for example: 20 mp3 players.. You take one… leaves the company with only 19!

Of course none of you nice people would illegally download songs from the net but could you ask a friend what percentage of his/her downloads they would not have bought? Just out of interest

Peace.

Phil… http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=146098
Last edited by philsick at Feb 10, 2009,
Responding solely to the title: The industry has been dead for a long time.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Some people like to download, some do not, the industry is going down the ****ter right now anyways, so let people do as they will.

IMHO.
Quote by philsick
Personally I’d say no! Over the course of a few years a friend of mine has downloaded a ton of albums/tracks of a particular genre not often heard on mainstream media. He says 99% of them he would not have bought, therefore the company has not lost a sale! As for the 1% he went out & bought the hard copies because he liked them. The reason he knows he likes them is because he was able to hear them first via the download, as opposed to the old days of taking a chance in the record shop (because what i liked at the time was never heard on radio etc) in the hope it will be to your taste! In my day of buying records it was not always possible to hear it first in the shop! Let’s face it; it’s not as if there are for example: 20 mp3 players.. You take one… leaves the company with only 19!

Of course none of you nice people would illegally download songs from the net but could you ask a friend what percentage of his/her downloads they would not have bought? Just out of interest

Peace.

Phil…

People who say this are morons.

Ever heard of youtube or myspace?

Sample songs to see if you like them my ass
Check out my band Disturbed
Personally I'd say no, I'd say whats killing the industry is ****ty ass bands like, Hinder, Nickelback and Saving Able, their all garbage and they all sell millions of albums, I'll go out and buy an album when a record company decides to press an album that doesn't suck. If I enjoy a band and think they deserve money for their music then I'll go out and buy their album, I've got a great deal of store bought albums.
no. If anything they are making the industry better
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
In my opinion downloads are killing record labels, yes.
But definitely not killing the bands, as they profit from ticket and merch sales.
It's not really that bad to see Record Labels struggling though in my point of view,
they deserve it for all the talent they abuse =P
I suppose they are necessary for bringing local bands to being bands-people-know,
but ah well, local scenes are always fun to check out anyways.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I buy music off itunes... legal downloads dont hurt anybody, they cost less, and they save materials. The industry might be getting better. Maybe i'm just optimistic but some of the more well known bands that i like are gaining popularity.
Quote by StewieSwan
People who say this are morons.

Ever heard of youtube or myspace?

Sample songs to see if you like them my ass
Ever heard of filler?

Buying an album based solely on the singles is a sure fire way to end up with a CD collection made up for 75% shit.
no, the music industry killed itself by thinking it could still dictate trends in the internet age.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by freedoms_stain
Ever heard of filler?

Buying an album based solely on the singles is a sure fire way to end up with a CD collection made up for 75% shit.

That's why you listen to all the songs on youtube, it's not like only one song gets posted.

Or you go to your local music store and listen to the CD there, some stores have the option.
No. Major record labels are struggling to cope with the falling cd sales, but indie labels are enjoying some good sales. It's like the 50s and when rock 'n' roll first came around. The indies were successful while the majors took some time to adjust and counteract against this by signing all the indie talent. Once the majors realise downloading is a great medium, they will be strong again.
It's gonna be a blue day
Last edited by perry589 at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by freedoms_stain
Ever heard of filler?

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
no, the music industry killed itself by thinking it could still dictate trends in the internet age.

Both of these are true.
The bands don't profit that much off of the album sales, anyways. They get most of their money from merch and ticket sales. Record labels get most of the money from album sales.
Record labels are good for getting a band's name out there, and booking, and things like that, but a band can do that themselves now. The Internet is significantly changing music, and record labels are becoming more and more useless.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
theres more to it than just illegal downloading though, I think the more important thing is that the labels can't control the market anymore, the fact is with current distribution and recording methods, big labels aren't that important anymore.

Last.fm
If it was killing the industry, we wouldnt have any more celebrities driving 300k cars, spending 200k on rings, etc.

Metal, and all those other poor genres, have always, and wil always be poor, because its not mainstream. Mainstream stuff on the other hand, is over saturated with too many artists sounding the same, making hit after hit, and getting caught in radio rotation for weeks over and over, and people are finally starting to get sick of buying a CD every week. So no, I dont think downloads are touching anyone.
The whole downloading songs to see if you like then buying thing is great for your wallet, but bad for the industry.

Luckily, music will probably be fine without the major labels' help.
Alot of download sites don't have artist's permission, especially the free ones, the free downloads are practically stealling music, you don't have their permission to acquire them for free, that is why its called a business. Besides, most internet music downloads are compressed to make them download faster. This cuts out alot of crucial frequencies which take away from the sound quality, so instead of getting 20 to 20k you only get 120 to 10k hz. It means you aren't getting the full range of detectable frequencies, which depletes from the sound quality.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
That's why you listen to all the songs on youtube, it's not like only one song gets posted.

Or you go to your local music store and listen to the CD there, some stores have the option.
I got 4 letters for ya.

DMCA
It's been dead but IMO your not hurting it if you don't pirate it. In effect, illegal downloading doesn't help or hurt the record industry because I figure by now bands would normally get paid through concerts and not records.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
If anything they are helping it. Piracy does wonders for a band's exposure, although it's certainly a double edged sword. In short though, it isn't killing the industry; it's just stopping the pockets of industry execs being lined so generously. "Boo-hoo, I can't afford my 3 month vacation to Hawaii this year!", that kind of thing. I find it hard to care very much.

The only reason it's causing any harm is because of the industry's stubborn refusal to adapt for the modern era. The guys running the big companies seem to be under the illusion people still buy vinyl and gather in diners to dance to the latest hits from the jukebox.
Last edited by Vermintide at Feb 10, 2009,
I don't think it's killing the industry, on the contrary I think it's killing the economy
Think about it, you buy a CD at Best Buy, Best Buy and others get that money. Sure its not alot, but its still enough to let stores stay afloat
If this continues, then more and more stores will go under due to the lack of music. If it continues, then more people will turn out like my friend and download entire discography's for free because "Musicians like it better when people download money that they work on, then spend on concerts"
Quote by Vermintide
The guys running the big companies seem to be under the illusion people still buy vinyl and gather in diners to dance to the latest hits from the jukebox.

Not cool man!
I have more vinyls of recent albums then I do CD's of recent albums!
Quote by freedoms_stain
Ever heard of filler?

Then listen to the whole album? It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.
Check out my band Disturbed
What industry?

I download a ****load of **** and then buy albums used later. Unless, I want something the week it comes out, but I'll only buy new albums from independent labels. blah, blah, blah, bands get more money from touring than album sales, blah, blah, Steve Albini, blah, blah, blah, major labels are evil, blah, blah, blah, blah

EDIT: There are TONS of great albums these days that are worth buying. The "CD's have only have 2 good songs" fails.
Last edited by thelurker at Feb 10, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan

I've never found a whole albums worth of material from any band I actually like on youtube, also youtube has been muting or deleting most non-official stuff lately.

Last.fm
Um I don't think so. Bcuz you get to listen for free, and then if you like what you hear; you go to a concert.
Wouldn't it be great if pigs could fly?
Quote by StewieSwan
I see, so you're against one form of illegal piracy and in favour of another.

Gotcha.

Uploading material you don't have the rights to is illegal, DMCA.

Care to try again?
Downloads are changing the industry. This should be expected, because this industry is always changing.
Probably, but it's not going to stop me either way. Most of the artists I listen to are dead anyway, so no point feeding their estate more money.
the industry is committing suicide.

If albums were say $8 a CD (albums i actually listen to not Britney Spears for example), and they were available in local music stores, I would have a monstrous music collection.

Instead CDs I want are $25 each and they have to be special ordered or bought off the internet.
Quote by GettintheLedout
Downloads are changing the industry. This should be expected, because this industry is always changing.

But it's not. And that's why downloads present a problem.

The world is changing around it, and the industry is clinging desperately to its ancient business model and throwing around lawsuits, making a mockery of the capitalist ideals it claims downloads are taking away.
Page 1 of 2