Poll Options
View poll results: Which order?
Cheap suit followed by the good one
11 15%
Good one from the start.
62 85%
Voters: 73.
Page 1 of 2
I have my navy recruiting test ion Thursday morning. A few weeks from now I'll have medicals and interviews etc. I'm going to wear a suit to all of them to give a good impression from the off.

Now, I got a £350 suit from eBay for £60 (it was really £350, I saw it in a shop a few days later. Marks and Spencers) and my cheap suit is a £30 marks and spencers jobby.

Should I start with the cheap suit and get progressively smarter along the process or should I wear the best one from the off?
1st impression... the most important one.
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Wear the best one for all of them. And make sure you have a decent shirt and a tie that goes with it. Oh, and good luck
get the good one
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Best one for all of them.

Oh and pics.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Best one for all of them.

Oh and pics.

I'll get my mum to take a pic on Thursday morning.
is this just to get in because ill tell you right now they dont give a ****, i have a friend who wen to all of his stuff in a tshirt and shorts. they just want you to show up so they can take your soul.
I would never expect one to show up to a military recruitment test/interview/medicals (especially these) in a suit. I'd think casual clothes would do the trick. Just no overgrown hair or facial hair.
after that day you will probably never see those people again for the rest of your life dude. they dont need to be impressed they just need to talk.
okay now i realize you were talking about the royal navy, way different story. you impress there ****ing faces off or youre screwed.
Quote by Knackersacky
Now, I got a £350 suit from eBay for £60 (it was really £350, I saw it in a shop a few days later. Marks and Spencers) and my cheap suit is a £30 marks and spencers jobby.

I'm pretty sure a man was killed while using that suit.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Fat-bastard0603
I'm pretty sure a man was killed while using that suit.

It was from a company that get suits and loan them out for music videos and stuff. They sell them on when they get new ones.
Quote by Knackersacky
It was from a company that get suits and loan them out for music videos and stuff. They sell them on when they get new ones.

Possessed by Satan?
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by iheartprog
is this just to get in because ill tell you right now they dont give a ****, i have a friend who wen to all of his stuff in a tshirt and shorts. they just want you to show up so they can take your soul.

Never had a job in your life, have you?

Best of everything, OP. Although don't go too far, you want to look formal; not like you're attending a wedding.
Quote by Knackersacky
Only one way to find out.

If I were you, I'd kept Ghostbusters phone number dialed in my cellphone, you know, just in case.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

My mate joined the Army and i think for most of his interviews and examinations he wore smartish casual clothing. Like a casual shirt and neat jeans.

Don't go in your casual clothes, because they'll just ignore your requests and just give you the bummest job the Navy can give you

FRONTLINE INFANTRY!!
don't wear a suit, just go smart casual
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Quote by Knackersacky

He's a Gunner now. Gotta give him credit, in my bunch of old school mates he seemed like the one you would least likely to see in the Forces.

Flipping gash job

I was quoting Keifer Sutherland from The Simpsons: FRONTLINE INFANTRY!!

I'm planning to join the RAF soon if they'll let me in. (I used to have very weak asthma as a child.)
I'm 18 and havnt had to use an inhaler for 4 years.
I've also applied for the Police as well. Either way, taxes will most likely pay for my salary.
Last edited by Moggan13 at Feb 11, 2009,
The best one first.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Moggan13
He's a Gunner now. Gotta give him credit, in my bunch of old school mates he seemed like the one you would least likely to see in the Forces.

Only if he's doing it well

I'm planning to join the RAF soon if they'll let me in. (I used to have very weak asthma as a child.)

Most childhood "asthma" isn't asthma as such anyway.

I'm 18 and havnt had to use an inhaler for 4 years.

If you've had a prescription since then you need your Dr. to OK it.

Good luck mate
Id say best suite both times but with a different shirt/tie combo, maybe different coloured shoes too (like tan) if you have them. That is usually enough difference to make it seem like your wearing something completely different.
Quote by Knackersacky
Only if he's doing it well

Most childhood "asthma" isn't asthma as such anyway.

If you've had a prescription since then you need your Dr. to OK it.

Good luck mate

So technally, i'll need to go to my Doctors and make them give me the all clear?
I hav'nt had a prescripted inhaler for about 3 years. (I've been meaning to get one but just forgot) and even then I hardly ever used it when growing up.

Because I really wanna join but I cant due to some stupid childhood ailment I'll go spare
Quote by Moggan13
So technally, i'll need to go to my Doctors and make them give me the all clear?
I hav'nt had a prescripted inhaler for about 3 years. (I've been meaning to get one but just forgot) and even then I hardly ever used it when growing up.

Because I really wanna join but I cant due to some stupid childhood ailment I'll go spare

Yar. If you got it as a spare inhaler, that's fine. You need to have gone 4 years without using one. Basically.

You can ask your doctor for a peak flow meter and do a week or month long set of readings. But it's best to talk to the AFCO advisor and your doctor first.
Quote by Knackersacky
Yar. If you got it as a spare inhaler, that's fine. You need to have gone 4 years without using one. Basically.

You can ask your doctor for a peak flow meter and do a week or month long set of readings. But it's best to talk to the AFCO advisor and your doctor first.

Nice one.
So you asked about your job at a recruitment office then or did you just research it on the web?
Quote by Moggan13
Nice one.
So you asked about your job at a recruitment office then or did you just research it on the web?

I researched the ones I liked the look of then went to the AFCO and asked for some bookelts, DVDs and an application form

Which job are you hoping to apply for?
I love how quickly a thread only marginally related to the military turned into a bitch about the different divisions. What are you looking to do in the Navy anyway? Lead tailgunner? Seriously though, if you're looking to give the best impression wear the best suit all the way through, I doubt you'll be seeing the same person twice and even if you were they really won't care enough to remember the suit you were wearing. Good luck. It's actually rather funny that this thread appeared now, I've been doing a fair bit of research into joining a UOTC during uni then depending on how that goes I'd go up for the regular Army afterwards, what's the recruiting process like?
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Feb 11, 2009,
Quote by Knackersacky
I researched the ones I liked the look of then went to the AFCO and asked for some bookelts, DVDs and an application form

Which job are you hoping to apply for?

I'm still looking. Most likely something to do with Photography and Media, if not then Intelligence.
I'd say smart one throughout. I always aim to look like James Bond in job interviews and it works for me.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by blynd_snyper
I love how quickly a thread only marginally related to the military turned into a bitch about the different divisions. What are you looking to do in the Navy anyway? Lead tailgunner? Seriously though, if you're looking to give the best impression wear the best suit all the way through, I doubt you'll be seeing the same person twice and even if you were they really won't care enough to remember the suit you were wearing. Good luck. It's actually rather funny that this thread appeared now, I've been doing a fair bit of research into joining a UOTC during uni then depending on how that goes I'd go up for the regular Army afterwards, what's the recruiting process like?

haha sorry about that

I'm looking at marine engineering technician submariner or air engineering technician.

You'll have fun. The UOTC is apparently a drinking club.

The process for officers goes like this:
Make an appointment at the AFCO- You can't jsut go in to talk, you need to see an officer.
Make application.
Go to presentations etc
Do medicals and stuff.
Army officer selection board.

And you can find the rest on the army website

Quote by Moggan13
I'm still looking. Most likely something to do with Photography and Media, if not then Intelligence.

You can't join the RAF and in intelligence.
Yeah that's part of the reason I'd like to join the UOTC. That and I hear it's a good basis for going on for officer selection which I'd want to do (if I were to join one of my preferred jobs would be pilot in the AAC, which requires you to be an officer). I guess I'll just find out the whole process from an AFCO some time.
Quote by Knackersacky
You can't join the RAF and in intelligence.

I'm still looking, bro. I'll keep you updated.
Quote by blynd_snyper
Yeah that's part of the reason I'd like to join the UOTC. That and I hear it's a good basis for going on for officer selection which I'd want to do (if I were to join one of my preferred jobs would be pilot in the AAC, which requires you to be an officer). I guess I'll just find out the whole process from an AFCO some time.

it's a very, very good way to get through the AOSB. Leadership skills and what not.

As for having to be a pilot, not true. My uncle...Well...Now ex-uncle is a Colonel in the AAC. He's trained numerous NCOs. They tend to work in a taxi role, however. To go direct entry you need to be an officer. I'm hoping to transfer to pilot in the navy after my return on service on subs is over and done with.

Quote by Moggan13
I'm still looking, bro. I'll keep you updated.

Sorry. It was meant to be a joke
Last edited by Knackersacky at Feb 11, 2009,
Page 1 of 2