Hey there guys. I'm a guitarest from the uk, and I've been playing for 2 years now. I'm self taught, if that makes a difference. I feel... whats the word... inadequite compared to other guitarists that have played as long as me, and it's making me feel like I should just take of the tele and hang it on the wall. I don't know how too improve, and it makes me angry to know that i should be so much better.

What can I do? i don't wanna stop but at the same time i dont wanna keep feeling inadequite
Quote by Everyone Dies
Practice more. Get a teacher perhaps.

I practice daily, but to be honest i dont know WHAT to practice.

As for a teacher, I've never been a fan.
Sometimes if you get out there and play with other musicians in a band, you are made to feel needed, and it's a great motivator. Also, being in bands has given me a greater sense of purpose in the past, and it's helped to break these walls.

I think you should try starting/joining a band. You'll learn a lot.

I hope that helps!
- Adam
online lessons? practice music theory
Quote by Dante53
Sometimes if you get out there and play with other musicians in a band, you are made to feel needed, and it's a great motivator. Also, being in bands has given me a greater sense of purpose in the past, and it's helped to break these walls.

I hope that helps!
- Adam

this is good too. I joined a band starting out playing rhythm at a couple months of playing. Now im lead guitar and am leauges better now. Practice things you find difficult.
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Last edited by Black Label93 at Feb 10, 2009,
Call me an ass for saying this, but I think the kind of music you listen to affects how good you are.

If your favorite band is Fall Out Boy, it won't help your progression as a player, because you'll never come across particularly difficult music.

If you feel like you need to get better, listen to some more difficult music and practice playing it, even if you don't like listening to it just to listen to it.

I hope my advice helps some. And good luck.
PM me for newts
Quote by Dante53

I hope that helps!
- Adam

I don't feel my playing is good enough for any bands around here. I can't improvise, I dont know theory, and everyone round here has been playing for years longer than I.
Learn some basic theory, learn some of your favorite songs, and probably find people to jam with.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by deadringer13
Hey there guys. I'm a guitarest from the uk, and I've been playing for 2 years now. I'm self taught, if that makes a difference. I feel... whats the word... inadequite compared to other guitarists that have played as long as me, and it's making me feel like I should just take of the tele and hang it on the wall. I don't know how too improve, and it makes me angry to know that i should be so much better.

What can I do? i don't wanna stop but at the same time i dont wanna keep feeling inadequite

If you develop your practice skill which in turn will allow you to get the results you want out of the guitar, you'll most likely have a leg up on most people eventually. At the very least, it's a good equalizer. Not that there's any point in comparing yourself to anyone else, but it will put control of your own destiny wrt guitar into your own hands.

www.guitarprinciples.com is a good place to start.
a teacher really would help you to know what to practice. my advice is definately theory. memorize the fretboard (if you haven't already) and learn everything you possibly can regarding to theory. also, ear training helps alot. try learning songs by ear, or else use the interval trainer here http://www.musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html. this will help you get better "feel". You can find lessons on theory anywhere. you can buy an instructional dvd, or use a book, or even online. the crusade columns on this site can help http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/the_crusade_part_i.html. thats the first one. as far as books go, the national guitar workshop has a great series of books. I really recommend getting a teacher though. hope that helps
well,
**** the people who are better than you.....
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
[quote="'xjosheex :['"]well,
**** the people who are better than you.....

xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha
Stop focusing on how good or bad you are, or how good you think you should be, and just enjoy playing your guitar.
Quote by deadringer13

well what exactly do you want to improve? thats pretty general to say you want to be better.

1) improvising. the only way to be better at this...is to actually do it. every day i do it. i just turn on my favorite tunes and jam along. ive only learned a couple of solos in my 4 years of playing but i know how to make my own quite well. why? because i do it all the time.

2) practice your scales. and not just up and down. practice scale sequences. look them up on the web and you should be able to find tons of lessons of scale sequences. look on youtube as well. it will help you a lot trust me.

3) learn your favorite licks. when you hear your heros play something you really like, learn it. try to figure it out by ear first. if you cant figure it out after an honest attempt, go look it up on the web. try to take these licks and breath new life into them and make them your own. just try to change them up a bit.

4) even if you dont think you are good enough, play with others. playing with others will help you get better. and even more so if they are more advanced than you. because it forces you to try harder and motivates you.

5) listen and watch as much as you can. youtube is your friend. im so glad it was around when i started playing. because whenever i want, i can just look up my favorite players and lessons and watch and learn. also, keep trying to find new musical inspirations to keep things fresh and motivating. if you stick to the same old same old, eventually you will lose motivation because the music you listen to isnt a chalenge to play anymore.

anyway, hope this helps a bit. i know 4 years of playing isnt much, but ive always been told that i sound like ive been playing my whole life. but really, i just play everyday and constantly focus on bettering my technique. if im not playing, im probably listening to music or on youtube watching music. music takes devotion and everyone starts somewhere. if you really want to be better, you have to get motivated and really put in the effort. you need to have a positive outlook too. playing is mostly mental, like 90%. the other 10% is actually skill. its about having the confidence to pull something off. if you dont believe you can do it, then you probably never will.
Quote by GuitarMunky
Stop focusing on how good or bad you are, or how good you think you should be, and just enjoy playing your guitar.

this isn't really good advice, since he's pretty much told us he'd be happier if he knew how to improve.

anyways, i recommend what most others are recommending: Daily practice and the learning of music theory. I've been working on a new UG article on dispelling misconceptions about theory and explaining the very very basics in plain english.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1064732

the article is a few posts down.

That pretty much sums it all...music is not a competition.Talk about enjoying it.
But if you still feel like you're not as good as you should be,there are some steps:

1-Learn how to practice effectively.Believe me,a LOT of people don't know how to do that.
When we sit down and practice,we seek to eliminate the flaws in our technique.That's the reason to play slowly: to find the imperfections in our playing and overcome them.

2-Practice using songs.Playing scales and exercises all day long will only turn you into a unmusical guitarist,because you didn't develop your musicality.
Besides,you learn much more form songs than from exercises only.

3-Last but not least,there's a challenge...a pointer,should I say...try to fret the srtings with your fretting hand as lightly as possible,just to produce the sound.And try to mute all unwanted sounds from the guitar...

That's it for now,I guess...
Oh,and theory is a must-learn.You won't go far without it.
Last edited by Rumsiac at Feb 10, 2009,
I'm almost at the 2 year mark and I'm no shredder either. Just be patient and have fun with it and you'll gradually get better. You can't get worse right?? its all about progress man
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Maybe you're just inadequate at everything... but guitar is pretty fun to be inadequate at. That makes me feel cool to say....

Oh right. I think you need to get a little more serious, a teacher helps most people, especially the people who don't know what/how to practice. The alternative is following advice all over the internet and books. The latter requires much more self-motivation though.

I suggest surveying yourself and the past two years that you've spent with your Tele. And be honest. Have you ever set goals for yourself? Met those goals? Have you dedicated time to learning theory, technique, and songwriting? In short, have you felt like you've taken it seriously? If the answer is no, then you can be assured that if you start now then you'll improve. Music doesn't come easy but if you're going about it right then you do improve.
Quote by StewieSwan
Call me an ass for saying this, but I think the kind of music you listen to affects how good you are.

If your favorite band is Fall Out Boy, it won't help your progression as a player, because you'll never come across particularly difficult music.

If you feel like you need to get better, listen to some more difficult music and practice playing it, even if you don't like listening to it just to listen to it.

I hope my advice helps some. And good luck.

PLEASE PLEASE disregard the above as it's b0llox. Your taste in music doesn't hinder you as a guitarist at all. I'm currenty learning and my favourite music is bluesy rock, which compared to wanky metal music, is pretty easy to play. I'm still getting loads better though.

It's all about enjoying it. I know that sounds like a cop out but it's true. If you're enjoying it you learn stuff without even realizing.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote by zimmzimmer
Maybe your Dads pissed because hes shooting blanks :P
well, I already see your problem, you're playing a tele! hahahahaha!

seriously tho, someone up there had a great point. your goal should be to become the guitarist you expect yourself to become, not the one others expect you to be. My practice technique is to just sit down and play for as long as I feel like it. sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 2 hours. If you feel your playing is becoming stale, try learning a different style of music, and take everything you learned and apply it to your genre of choice. Have fun with it, that is the ultimate goal of playing guitar.
A telecaster is a proper man's guitar, not like your girly pointy things
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by deadringer13
I practice daily, but to be honest i dont know WHAT to practice.

As for a teacher, I've never been a fan.

Work out what your weak points are and practice that - so if your picking is sloppy practice chromatic exercises and scales, if you're chord changes are weak pick a selection of chords a day and practice changing between them...check out the lessons on this site once you have an idea what you want to focus on

And I would definitely recommend getting a teacher - if only for a couple of lessons, as they would be able to assess where you're at and tell you what you should be working on.
i learned quick that my niche was blues, not metal, classical, fingerstyle, or tapping. i learned that i am meant to be a lead guitarist w/a bassist, and drummer. thats it. i looked to srv, jimi, and cream for inspiration. start off with some riffs (single note, diads) throw in some power chords, and some 12th fret pentatonic scales for solos. or just make blues songs that lick a series of flurried notes. and sing between them

and practice tabs, even if its just the main riffs of the songs....find your niche and for petes sake, be original and forget everyone else
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Last edited by loinmute at Feb 12, 2009,
Quick scan thourhg all the replies so it may have been said before...

You say you don't consider yourself ready for a band. This is coming form insecurity, good self reflection. However, rather then joining a band, find some one you consider better then you, and ask for a few jam sessions with cover songs. It's free, and you might as well start networking in teh artist area, so that when you feel your ready, it's easier to find youself a band.

Nonetheless a band is perfect for good motivation of practice. Even if you play basic stuff you'll improve greatly in record time. This is also teh case with one on one jamming/covering.

So, all I'm really saying is, get out there, get real life help, find a buddy willing to help you improve.
Quote by deadringer13
I feel... whats the word... inadequite compared to other guitarists that have played as long as me,

Quote by deadringer13
everyone round here has been playing for years longer than I.

Wait...doesn't that contradict a little? Anyway, onto the topic at hand, I don't really approve of your close-minded-ness when it comes to lessons. Sure, it's a matter of personal preference, but maybe it's an avenue that you should explore if everything isn't working for you. After all, what do you have to lose if you've decided that your only other option is to simply quit playing?

Although it's hard, perhaps you shouldn't be comparing yourself to others so competitively. While it's great to have a rival or someone to aspire to, it shouldn't really be something that drags you down and makes you depressed. On the contrary, try to think of it positively; there are people out there that are better than you, so that should inspire you to practise harder, in order to attempt to reach their level! Isn't that relatively better than being the greatest guitarist in the world and having to be fearful of being overtaken? I would think that it's easier to improve when you have someone to look up to, rather than be afraid of regessing because you're already oh-so-good compared to everyone else.

Another thing is that it could just be a phase you're in at the moment. Maybe next month, you'll suddenly have your passion renewed and you'll feel inspired to practise hard and improve again. In the mean time, try to explore new genres of music and artists, form or join a band or obtain new equipment.

Finally, to close off this random rant, playing an instrument isn't something that will come to you instantly unless you're an absolute genius. Even then, it should rightfully take hard work, effort and time! Otherwise, what would the achievement be? There would be none, because nothing was earned!

Good luck.