Page 1 of 2
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
I want to be able to sing/talk into my middle pickup because i think it would be fun and i never use it anyways. anyway i can do this?
Shinozoku
UG Nerd
1,227 IQ
Interesting idea...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
deftonesordie
ENGL Fireball 100 Abuser
513 IQ
Nope, not too easily, The pickups register the movement of the string, which disturbs an electrical field. As far as I know, you don't have metal strings in your mouth, or a metal voice. Sorry chap.
------

Shwiggity.
misfitsramones
Tab Contributor
1,107 IQ
yeaaa, if yuo yeall loudenough into the pickup and your amp is loud enoguh, you can hear yuor self... alexi does it in their dvd, he yells ****.
deftonesordie
ENGL Fireball 100 Abuser
513 IQ
^ i was thinking the same thing, but I believe that was the microphones on stage that picked that up, not his pickup.
------

Shwiggity.
col50
1,236 IQ
Paul Gilbert talks through his pickup in "Get out of my Yard"
I leik music
SGmaniac1021
You're ugly, get over it
753 IQ
I would think there's some way...because your pickups can pick up sounds from things like earbuds...so....I cant think of a way...but brainstorm....Im sure it's possible if you could somehow get your voice to come out of a mic/earbuds that are resting right next to the pickups
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Shinozoku
UG Nerd
1,227 IQ
I thought that your voice vibrated the strings in a constantly altering manner that resembled your voice and was therefore picked up by the pickups and transmitted... I used to be able to do it with my old Squier when I still had it
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Astronomer9893
95 IQ
well, sometimes I take the headphones from my Mp3 player and insert them in between 2 strings, right over the pickup, and I can hear it fine on the amp. It kinda crappy quality (at least for me, because my amp sucks), but I can still hear it fine. But I don't know about singing or talking, I've never tried it. Go ahead and try it though,
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
Quote by deftonesordie
Nope, not too easily, The pickups register the movement of the string, which disturbs an electrical field. As far as I know, you don't have metal strings in your mouth, or a metal voice. Sorry chap.

its called microphonic pickups, the coils unwind or something like that and it vibrates when you talk into it or something. i have no idea how it works but i want to do it.
AC/DC4EVA
Rocking And Rolling
379 IQ
my guess would be that he has a mic in his guitar but im sure im wrong
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
my guess would be that he has a mic in his guitar but im sure im wrong

nope its the coils in the pickup vibrating just like how in a singing microphone, something vibrates to produce the sound. its not a microphone, its the pickup
AC/DC4EVA
Rocking And Rolling
379 IQ
cool, do you buy them like that or do you modify regular pickups?
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
cool, do you buy them like that or do you modify regular pickups?

the coils unwind as they get older or if they are made ****ty, i want to know if i can mod one of my pickups that way by unwinding them or something, i really dont know much about it
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
Quote by divinorum69
Not possible... Microphones which detect voice are made with carbon... those are made with alnico (aluminum-nickel-copper)

how is it not possible, is that video not proof? ill find another video of it, switchfoot does it. and that guy above said that in the song "get out of my yard" does it too, ive heard that from many other people too even tho i have never heard the song. its possible. its called microphonic pickups and if u google it youll see there are fixes for it by dipping your pickup in hot wax. its called repotting
noisefarmer
65 IQ
Quote by gtrplyr
how is it not possible, is that video not proof? ill find another video of it, switchfoot does it. and that guy above said that in the song "get out of my yard" does it too, ive heard that from many other people too even tho i have never heard the song. its possible. its called microphonic pickups and if u google it youll see there are fixes for it by dipping your pickup in hot wax. its called repotting

jonsi from sigur ros does it as well. so did hendrix with his tongue clicks.

sometimes when pickups go bad they develop that quality.
Viruk
player of the guitar
1,922 IQ
apparantly the charlie christian pickups are slightly microphonic since they aren't wax potted like the pickups nowadays
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
does anyone have any idea how to make a pickup do this or how it actually happens?

i think i might have to go to guitar center and yell into all the pickups they have to see which one is microphonic and swap it with the pickup i have now. may look a bit weird yelling into pickups tho eh?
Last edited by gtrplyr at Feb 10, 2009,
Dark_Merlin
498 IQ
Thats not going to happen^ even cheap squire pickups are slightly wax potted.

I say take the cover off whatever pickup your using and heat the coils with a really hot hair dryer, hot enough to melt the wax. Shake the pickup to try and cause the coils to loosen a little, and try and use an old tea towel to remove some of the wax.

Or, do like, reverse potting. Read a potting tutorial and heat water up to whatever temp youre supposed to get your wax to, and dip your pickup in the water. Instead of the wax going into your pickups, you'll get water, and you'll just need to dry them out really good for a week or 2.
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
Quote by Dark_Merlin
Thats not going to happen^ even cheap squire pickups are slightly wax potted.

I say take the cover off whatever pickup your using and heat the coils with a really hot hair dryer, hot enough to melt the wax. Shake the pickup to try and cause the coils to loosen a little, and try and use an old tea towel to remove some of the wax.

Or, do like, reverse potting. Read a potting tutorial and heat water up to whatever temp youre supposed to get your wax to, and dip your pickup in the water. Instead of the wax going into your pickups, you'll get water, and you'll just need to dry them out really good for a week or 2.

thats actually a really good idea, is it only possible with humbucking pickups or can i do it with a single coil pickup?

thanks for the first helpful post in this thread
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,339 IQ
Adding a grounding plate to the pickup could help it become microphonic but really you need to have a pickup wound that has loose windings and no potting. The problem will be getting any type of volume without getting feedback.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
noisefarmer
65 IQ
there is an undesired result of making your pickup go microphonic. the pickup is gonna sound like crap w/ a guitar. plus theres the whole feedback thing.
Baby Joel
6,273 IQ
Here's how it works.
You know how when you play the B string you get harmonics on the E strings and such?
Well when you yell loud enough into the guitar, the strings pickup the harmonics from your voice, the pickups pickup the harmonics from the strings, and voila. Nothing to it.
You just need high gain, high volume, and high output pickups.
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,339 IQ
Quote by noisefarmer
there is an undesired result of making your pickup go microphonic. the pickup is gonna sound like crap w/ a guitar.

What are you basing that statement on?
noisefarmer
65 IQ
Quote by CorduroyEW
What are you basing that statement on?

an old hondo i had back in 89. pickups were crap and made for better microphones than anything. that guitar hated being plugged into an amp cus the second you turned to face the amp it'd scream and squeal... not the good type of feedback.
sglover34479
Aww folk yeah
1,940 IQ
Quote by col50
Paul Gilbert talks through his pickup in "Get out of my Yard"

I doubt it. It is probably a talkbox. You can't because pickups work with magnets and metal strings. Unless you have a metal tongue it's impossible. You could take out the middle pickup and install a mic but then it would pickup the sound of your strings undistorted and sound ****.
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,339 IQ
^It is true that a pickup that will hear your voice will also be microphonic and won't be good for distortion but some of the best clean tones come from pickups that are very microphonic.
Baby Joel
6,273 IQ
Quote by sglover34479
I doubt it. It is probably a talkbox. You can't because pickups work with magnets and metal strings. Unless you have a metal tongue it's impossible. You could take out the middle pickup and install a mic but then it would pickup the sound of your strings undistorted and sound ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vS6syL0-jM
1:35
gnr2206
UG Member
685 IQ
if u play music on your phone and hole it to your pickups it picks it up

try it!

tis weird
My Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX

Cort VX 2V

Marshall JTM 60

Boss MT-2

Marshall Bluesbreaker Pedal (BB-2)
supergerbil
¦¬ ¦¬ ¦¬ ¦¾ ½ ¼ GONE!
1,089 IQ
^I think that happens because the speaker has magnets in. I put my tuner to my pickups and it does the same.
bert000
154 IQ
"palm mute the strings w/fretting hand so they dont ring then sing as loud & as close as you can against the strings @ the pickup - your voice will vibrate the metal strings that are in the magnetic field created by the pickup. Daniel also turns on a high-gain foot pedal coupled w/ a noise gate. The gain amplifies his voice so it can be heard over the drums & the noise gate keeps his guitar from feedbacking like crazy when he activates the gain pedal before he sings into the strings/pickup."

From youtube comment... on this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwsfT8MiZBo
he does the singing into the pickup thing
Music drives me.
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
Quote by sglover34479
I stand corrected. Forget my ealier post.

atleast u understand, so many people have come into this thread and said the same thing. theres like 5 video proofs of this. its not a microphone. its the pickup. heaven forbid you guys read the posts before u say something about it. nothing to u sglover.

and to the guy that thinks it will make my pickup sound like crap, it already does. i never use that pickup for anything so i wanted to give it some use and as you can see, not many people know about this so i thought it would be cool to do it
gtrplyr
UG Member
2,151 IQ
does anyone know the answer to my question above?

does the pickup have to be a humbucker for this to work or can this be done with a single coil?