Hey guys! I'm interested in learning how to play blues guitar. I have played guitar overall for about a year, mainly playing metal and rock. But I am pretty sure I skipped the fundamentals, and the basics to playing blues.

I recently realized that I cannot improvise. I either end up playing three random frets in a row on one string, or picking random notes on different strings. There is no harmony, or anything. To be honest.... it sounds like ****.

I know learning the blues is one of the fundamental ways to improvise. I have always enjoyed the guitar blues (Stevie ray, B.B. King, John Mayer), and I think that blues has a lot more feeling and soul put into it than metal. That's the kind of sound I want to get out of my guitar.

Where would you guys recommend I get started with learning the blues?
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
learn licks you like the sound off from tabs, apply them to backing tracks, thats how i got started
First you have to sell your soul to the devil. This is how all great blues musicians started.
I'm sorry about making two threads. I think my browser re-sumbmitted or something...

I'm trying to delete the other one, so don't flame me.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Google some basic improvising techniques...(Bending, Sliding, Hammer-ons, pull-offs, vibratos, etc.)

Then learn the Minor Pentatonic Scale...and the Blues scales which is just one more note to the pentatonic minor.

Then apply those techniques to those scales.

Youtube/google are some good places to start.
"I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been."

Quote by Dwarfish
I'm sorry about making two threads. I think my browser re-sumbmitted or something...

I'm trying to delete the other one, so don't flame me.

I wasnt flaming its just a pet peeve of mine
Quote by Dwarfish

Where would you guys recommend I get started with learning the blues?

Get a book that takes you through it. The blues is basically just 1 progression. You don't have to learn "certain" songs. Just how to solo over that basic progression.

It's a good choice for learning improvisation. Nearly all improvisational formats come from blues.
Learn the minor pentatonic scale up and down the neck, practice improvising. You really shouldn't have to "learn licks" but should instead be able to hear a lick, and in a short amount of time, figure it out for yourself. Try not to string together licks anyway, that just sounds stupid. What you want is melody, so play slow, and play something that sounds nice, if you're in the right key and using the right scale and not doing anything too freaky, most of the stuff you play will sound decent, just go slow, focus on melody and play with your ears, not your fingers.
The blues is all about feeling and emotion, and there are scales that most blues players commonly use, and techniques, but the fundamentals of blues is emotion. Just, think of something in your head, a feeling and then add words to it and sing the words and how they should sound in your head, then put it on guitar and add the guitar "flare" to it.
As I said in the old one;

I started with Eric Clapton personally. Everyone starts different places though, based on your tastes though, I'd drop into Eb and try to learn one of the solos of the men you mentioned. Yes, I said to learn a solo that was likely improvised. I did it, I can play the blues pretty damn well if I do say so myself now. But Clapton is definitely an excellent starting point into the blues IMO.

And here is something eds1275, a member from Memphis, somewhere we can all agree is one of the blues capitals of the world, added after quoting me since he mentioned some good stuff after saying a line on my post;

Quote by eds1275
This man speaks the truth when he says Clapton.

Clapton took a lot of different blues players' styles and meshed them to make his own. Nine teachers out of ten here in Memphis will tell you to learn his rendition of "I Shot the Sheriff " and then play over it with the minor pentatonic.

EDIT: And by the way, while I'm on the topic of Memphis, listen to B.B, Albert, and Freddie King. Listen to their songs and try and imitate little licks you hear that you like once you get the minor pentatonic down. It'll help you have an arsenal of licks to play before you start making them up.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54