Page 1 of 3
EDIT: pics start on pg 4

alright. so im gonna build a prs carved top guitar its my first build and its gonna be hard. all help is welcome lol.

btw im gonna get this template:
http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/PRS24.htm

Specs:
Quilted Maple Top
Mahogany Back(maybe striped maple(or other)/bloodwood/maple(or other))
Mahogany Neck
Ebony/Rosewood fretboard(undecided)
Fret inlays(want to do birds, but really hard. also might buy pre slotted fretboard, dont get radiusing)
25" Scale I think
Want to do more quilted on headstock, unless someone says something better
All black hardware
No idea for pickups or anything.

Its gonna look alot like this

just clear coat and laquer or whatever to make it shiny as hell.

im in a 3 hour woodshop class, but still have a solid two weeks of safety stuff left, but will put pics up when i order wood. just need to decide.

here are some questions:

what thickness should the back be, and the top? weight doesnt matter much, but im thinking around 1 3/4" total. want a nice carve

what do i use to carve it?

how do i pick the carve line?

do i route before or after carving?

quilted mapel best cost?

and how do i do custom inlays?
Last edited by tjfishrocker at Feb 25, 2009,
wow ambitious first build huh? Well good luck as the first build is a giant learning experience. I'd say just hang around here and absorb all the information that you can and also head over to project guitar and check the forums and such. These are helping me a lot with my first build even tho its not as extreme as yours
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
dude i admire your boldness in undertaking such an epic first build, but lets be realistic. you say that you have little wood working experience, have never built a guitar before and are buying fairly expensive materials and parts from the looks of it.

Have you at least refinished a guitar before?

I'm not saying i have little faith in you, i'm just trying to say that this build is going to be really difficult for you since it's your first time.
carousel182 has a carving tutorial up on here, I suggest you read it.

I would route before carving, since you will have a flat surface to work on.

Cost of quilted maple depends entirely on where you are and where you buy it from.

This is an ambitious first build but it can definatly be done if you take your time to do the research properly and practice etc read the tutorials over at project guitar for a good starter, and get melvyn hiscocks build your own guitar book.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I think you've got a chance, but MAKE SURE you have all the hardware you need before you start building. If you're waiting for hardware, it will be a much slower build overall.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by Schism1985
dude i admire your boldness in undertaking such an epic first build, but lets be realistic. you say that you have little wood working experience, have never built a guitar before and are buying fairly expensive materials and parts from the looks of it.

Have you at least refinished a guitar before?

I'm not saying i have little faith in you, i'm just trying to say that this build is going to be really difficult for you since it's your first time.

yes but not shiny. i might just let someone who knows what they are doing finish, i dunno. my woodshop teacher laughed in my face so im a little discouraged no lol yeah. it'll be hard, but i feel like if i take my time, it will turn out decent. im not so sure about the inlays now

Quote by Absent Mind
carousel182 has a carving tutorial up on here, I suggest you read it.

I would route before carving, since you will have a flat surface to work on.

Cost of quilted maple depends entirely on where you are and where you buy it from.

This is an ambitious first build but it can definatly be done if you take your time to do the research properly and practice etc read the tutorials over at project guitar for a good starter, and get melvyn hiscocks build your own guitar book.

will do if i can find it. i sent LPaddict a pm but have yet to hear back. thanks to both of you.

any answers on the rest of the questions?
The only question that hasn't been answered for you was the inlay question.

There's a guy who will do them for you for pretty cheap, PM metalwarrior40.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie

well how do i get the line and what thickness and what to carve it with? soory for noobishness. and i checked out carousel's tutorial and was wondering if there was another way besides like chipping it out. i kind of want a sharper carve
Quote by deftonesordie

Thanks for that, and yea, I'm pretty decently priced. What did you have in mind inlay wise?

EDIT: I would also DEFF recommend a ebony fretboard.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by tjfishrocker
yes but not shiny. i might just let someone who knows what they are doing finish, i dunno. my woodshop teacher laughed in my face so im a little discouraged no lol yeah. it'll be hard, but i feel like if i take my time, it will turn out decent. im not so sure about the inlays now

yeah thats the thing, just take your time, be careful. This definitely has potential to be an insane first build, just don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out 100% perfect the first time.
Quote by metalwarrior40
Thanks for that, and yea, I'm pretty decently priced. What did you have in mind inlay wise?

EDIT: I would also DEFF recommend a ebony fretboard.

ebony would go well with black hardware/mahogany back & neck/quilted maple?

and i was thinking the doves in the stages of flight the same way prs does it but dremeling it would be hard too. check out the template im gonna buy, it comes with a template for this.

Quote by Schism1985
yeah thats the thing, just take your time, be careful. This definitely has potential to be an insane first build, just don't get discouraged if it doesn't turn out 100% perfect the first time.

and thanks for the encouragement brah. i also like your name and pic lol
Yeah, ebony would look much better.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
so what could you do with the doves. or would you need the same tempelate that i would use to dremel them?
It would probably help to have that template, since i dont know any of the sizes, so i cant mock it up.

I wouldn't need it to dremel them though., Just so i can trace them out onto the material.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
I've heard bad things about guitarbuildingtemplates. A bunch of stuff about it taking for ever, and some stuff about it not being close to correct, and parts not even matching up within the set. So good luck on that. I have heard good things about www.guitarplansunlimited.com/ though. If what I've heard about the plans is true your going to need all the luck you can get. A first build with A) late plane/plans that show up to late to be useful and B) plans that potentially aren't very good should be interesting.

Also, it is called glossy, or glossy, not shiney.
Quote by PainIsPower
I've heard bad things about guitarbuildingtemplates. A bunch of stuff about it taking for ever, and some stuff about it not being close to correct, and parts not even matching up within the set. So good luck on that. I have heard good things about www.guitarplansunlimited.com/ though. If what I've heard about the plans is true your going to need all the luck you can get. A first build with A) late plane/plans that show up to late to be useful and B) plans that potentially aren't very good should be interesting.

Also, it is called glossy, or glossy, not shiney.

ill check it out and lol sorry brah.
Quote by Schism1985
tjfish:
are you planning to put down a semi-transparent coat of white/cream colored finish like in the pic you posted and then do coats of gloss, or just do coats of gloss over the natural wood?

are you sure thats not just a natural finish?

and to other guy how hard is it to make a template from these? what steps would i take?

You take those, and trace them onto another piece of paper, then spray some adhesive onto some say half inch MDF and put your traced copy on them and cut them out, and viola, your own templates. Or you put those onto your wood, and poke a pin through them into the wood on the line every so often, remove the paper, and trace your line.
I just noticed, I love how it's a PRS build but a Carvin (IMO PRS's biggest competitor) guitar is used as an example
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by PainIsPower
You take those, and trace them onto another piece of paper, then spray some adhesive onto some say half inch MDF and put your traced copy on them and cut them out, and viola, your own templates. Or you put those onto your wood, and poke a pin through them into the wood on the line every so often, remove the paper, and trace your line.

thanks you very much sir

Quote by Shinozoku
I just noticed, I love how it's a PRS build but a Carvin (IMO PRS's biggest competitor) guitar is used as an example

and lol it has like the look that i want for starters
Also, get all your stuff through LP Addict. He gives great prices on great woods and up to a 35% (possibly a FLAT 35%) discount on stuff from Allparts.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Also, get all your stuff through LP Addict. He gives great prices on great woods and up to a 35% (possibly a FLAT 35%) discount on stuff from Allparts.

i pm'ed him still awaiting a reply. . only mentioned wood stuff though. ii have a feeling it was confusing lol. hopefully he just posts in here sometime

but anyway anyone know if that is just a glossy coat, no stain or if there is stain involved?
Looks like it was just clear coated (there may be an oil treatment beforehand though, not sure). If it was white, you'd see white.

Stupid name.

Would be good, probably better since it's your first build. Trems require a bit more planning and a lil more routing to install.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Would be good, probably better since it's your first build. Trems require a bit more planning and a lil more routing to install.

yeah and i really dont use them THAT much. it would look tight, right? how do i know where to place the holes? and thanks a ton for your help man, and everyone else
You knoow where to place the holes by checking out templates and measuring the proper scale length The scale length is twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. Once you get that length, then you know where to place your bridge. Make sure you look at other guitars and builds, and check out the various templates available on the Ultimate Template Thread on this forum. Also check the stickys on here, and try to find that book mentioned earlier in this thread to help you.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
You knoow where to place the holes by checking out templates and measuring the proper scale length The scale length is twice the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. Once you get that length, then you know where to place your bridge. Make sure you look at other guitars and builds, and check out the various templates available on the Ultimate Template Thread on this forum. Also check the stickys on here, and try to find that book mentioned earlier in this thread to help you.

Yeah about the nut to 12th fret measurement thing, where exactly do you measure from and to? The front of the nut to the fret wire closest to the body next to the 12th fret double dots? or the fret wire closer to the headstock, before the double dots?
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
The fretboard side of the nut to the 12 fretwire e.g the the fret on the body side of the double dots.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Ah okay thanks
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
well im thinking a string through would be sexy, but im a big metal/palm mute kind of guy and palm mutes are just infinitely better on tremelo's. sorry for the crazy amount of questions but is it possible to just put the tremelo in, screw it down and still just route the hole out of the bottom? just so i get that feel without actually routing out all of that and not using it? how well would this work. searched and couldnt find anything on it
You might as well install a decent hard tail like a hipshot, it will be plenty comfortable like a tremolo and without the anoying routing.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I took the full scale plan to Kinko's and copied it on one of their large copiers. Cost about $3.00.

Its a good plan.
Quote by tjfishrocker
are you sure thats not just a natural finish?

Actually, maybe it is.

it looks almost too creamy to be just layers of gloss but that's prbly just because it's the professionally photographed image with no blemishes and stuff.

To me, it looks like they might have done a layer of stain or something and then sprayed layers of gloss on top of that...

but i seriously have no idea just go with layers of gloss like you were originally planning, it'll look fine either way.
^ Wow that's really cool! ... I wish I knew how to insert fret inlays >.>

I can't wait to see this PRS build I've always been a fan of curved top PRS's. I think the Dragon III is probably the sexiest thing ever created, but you know.
Quote by Jackolas

Gear:
Last edited by edgespear at Feb 11, 2009,
Its just a high grade peice of quilted maple with a clear gloss over it.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
You might as well install a decent hard tail like a hipshot, it will be plenty comfortable like a tremolo and without the anoying routing.

wait.. what? lol. did a search for hardtail on allparts and it came up with nothing.

Quote by qotsa1998
As for inlays, I found a site with some nice pre-cut MOP birds, kinda similar to the Hollister/Abercrombie birds, but nice nonetheless. Heres the site: http://www.guitarpartsusa.com/item--Guitar-Inlays-Bird-Mother-of-Pearl--PROD354
I was thinking of using them in my Explorer build, but they wouldnt fit the build well at all.

dude! thanks. this will be awesome. is dremeling easy? so i can put them in?

Quote by edgespear
^ Wow that's really cool! ... I wish I knew how to insert fret inlays >.>

I can't wait to see this PRS build I've always been a fan of curved top PRS's. I think the Dragon III is probably the sexiest thing ever created, but you know.

thanks and like i said it will be a couple weeks before i can get it started, but dont worry this will hopefully not be another calum_barrow build lol. no offense to him. awesome guitar.

Quote by Absent Mind
Its just a high grade peice of quilted maple with a clear gloss over it.

and thanks you again.

also one other question. im gonna make it 1 3/4" thick total. so how thick should the mahogany be and the maple be? after planing and surfaceing and stuff? im thinkin half and half but i dunno, i dont own a carved top to look at

and a good online electronics shop?
Last edited by tjfishrocker at Feb 11, 2009,
^ Are you blind?

Cheapo one...

http://www.allparts.com/store/non-trem-bridge-black,Product.asp

Proper quality hipshot one...

http://www.allparts.com/store/guitar-bridges-for-non-tremolo-guitars-sb-5105-003,Product.asp

and you can have what ever thickness you want really, May be 1 1/4" with a 3/4" top and by the time its all sanded down and carved it will be around around 1 3/4

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Last edited by Absent Mind at Feb 11, 2009,
Page 1 of 3